PDA

View Full Version : Shopmade Base for Shop Fox W1729 Bandsaw, 1.0

Steve H Graham
02-02-2009, 8:07 PM
I want props for this.

I read bad things about the mobile bases that would fit the Shop Fox W1729 bandsaw, so I didn't want to buy a premade product. I had to have a base, because my garage is small, and the small 220 socket I put in for the bandsaw is in a place that is far from the area where I want to store the saw. So I got me some metal and did some cutting and welding. You see the results below.

I didn't want to do the front wheels that way, but if they were going to have brakes, they had to be way out away from the frame. The steel is pretty thick; they're not going to give out and let the saw hit the floor. But there is more flex than I want. I'm kind of limited in what I can do because I don't have a press brake.

I think I'm going to make a second base, now that I have the basic idea down. If I do, I'll probably use swivel casters without brakes on the front, and I'll put a couple of feet on the sides that screw down to stabilize the saw and prevent rolling. I'm still learning how to do metalworking, so I don't mind doing the job over. In the meantime, this will work fine. Tomorrow I may finally get to use the bandsaw!

I used truck bed paint on the base. I think that was a good idea, because it cushions both frame and saw.