PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of a power feeder?

travis howe
02-02-2009, 7:55 PM
So, I actually wasn't really seeking out a power feeder but have a chance to pick up a 1hp 220v 4 speed for about the third cost new.

As much as I've despised using my previous router / router table, I thought that might be a good place for it... On my new Jessem setup.

What could one expect to do with such a contraption?:confused:

Charlie Plesums
02-02-2009, 9:18 PM
My experience is that one of the keys to good shaper/router results is a constant feed rate with constant pressure. With only two hands, that is hard, but the power feeder does it. I also found a big step-up in cut quality with the larger diameter shaper cutters, so that may be in your future.

Joe Jensen
02-02-2009, 9:25 PM
I have only used a power feeder on a shaper but I think the benefits would translate directly to a router table setup.

Benefits;
1) Absolutely consistent feed rate (consistent cut)
2) Absolutely consistent pressure so the cut has consistent depth (no recut)
3) You can climb cut to eliminated tearout and chipping

Steve Rozmiarek
02-02-2009, 9:28 PM
Travis, Charlie nailed it, consistancy. You'll get better quality cuts because of it, plus the feed is fun to run. I have one on my combo machine, which can work on the shaper, jointer or saw. I haven't tried it on the saw yet, but the other two processes are so much improved that I'm just looking for a reason to rip a big batch of something.

Jay Brewer
02-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Travis, how do you think your router table will hold up with 100+ LBS bolted to it?? The baby or the 1/4 hp feeders are better suited for router tables.

travis howe
02-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks all, as suspected, just havn't seen one in action. In theory it seems viable, having not seen one I have to wonder how difficult it is to set up, how it keeps pressure down and against a fence, etc.

Yeah, I was think the 124lbs would be a little much, are we then creating more challenge than help with a lighter weight / less hp machine or are the 1/4 or 1/2 machines well suited for any tougher router work?

r/t

Steve Rozmiarek
02-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Can't tell you how effective the smaller feeders are, but as for setup, feeders are suprisingly easy, unless you have to lift or mount the monster. The mount provides the ridgidity to get down pressure, along with the weight. The wheels are on a suspension so they climb the 1/8" or so, over the board, and provide enough grip that it is impossible to stop the board by hand. The force towards the fence is made by angling the feeder to the fence slightly.

I know a guy that put a shaper cutter in backwards, and before I could get everything shut down, the shop was a smoke cloud, and the feeder would have pushed the board right past the backwards cutter. Luckily no damage, just a tripped shaper motor overload, and a bit of a break to compose myself. If I had done such a stupid thing by hand, the results may not have been so benign.

Chip Lindley
02-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Jay rather Nailed it in his above post. The considrable weight of a *standard* power feeder may (or may not) stay attached to your router table.

Feeders exert a considerable downward force with their weight plus compression of the rubber wheels into the work to achieve serious traction! This is how they work!

Thusly, if your RT is not cast iron or steel, the feeder's base may distort an MDF/part.board/plywood table unless you reinforce it to a great degree. Not the best scenario! Also, consider that the downward pressure exerted on just any RT insert may have its effects also.

If you see your future including a shaper in the shop, and want to get the power feeder for 1/3 price, GO FOR IT! But a full size feeder on a router table is more than a bit of overkill.

Joe Chritz
02-02-2009, 11:37 PM
As an add on for bonuses of a power feeder, especially on a shaper is that it is much easier to end the day with ten digits. A raised panel shaper cutter is a scary thing to watch spin around.

Joe

Rob Damon
02-02-2009, 11:45 PM
Definitely check the weight issue. The 1hp Powermatic PF-31 feeder I have weights in at 134 lbs. The baby Powermatic PF3-JR 1/4hp weights in at 71 lbs. They are a four bolt mount. Considering they hang 2/3 of the weight (the power unit) cantilevered 12-18" off the vertical mount, is alot of bending torque on the mounting point. On the PM2700 I have, it is mounted to a monster beefy table top that is pre-drilled/tapped and designed to handle the weight and torque of the power feeder.

Maybe if you got a beefy steel router table top from the folks at Quality grinding and had it on a nice strong base, you could use the big one. They could probably even pre-drill and tap the mounting holes for the power feeder for you.

Rob

Charlie Plesums
02-03-2009, 12:16 AM
Maybe this is a good excuse to upgrade to a shaper... even one with a router spindle (I have no problem using router bits in my shaper, but they aren't as nice as a real shaper cutter.) The low end shapers are priced competitively with a router table. Some shapers are even cheaper than a good power feeder.

My power feeder is 1/2 hp. When I got it (used), I wondered why anyone would want one that heavy/large. There have been times I wished I had more power. Therefore I wouldn't downgrade to a 1/4 hp just because of the weight.

Jeff Duncan
02-03-2009, 1:25 PM
There's one other thing to keep in mind....speed. Different feeders have different minimum speeds, however if your feeding hardwoods through a router bit, I'm not sure whether most feeders might still be too fast for your application. And as mentioned, 1 hp feeders with good wheels aren't very easy to stop. It wouldn't surprise me to see one snap a router bit at the shank, or make short work of an underpowered router.
Just something to keep in mind, other than that I'd still buy it just b/c they're good to have for many applications.
good luck,
JeffD