PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Air Compressor

Calvin Hobbs
02-02-2009, 4:47 PM
All,

Confession: I'm not much of a tool kind of guy here, usually if what I have is working I don't really worry about it, but here I am asking for all of your expertise here in the Creek...

I have a PC pancake air compressor that leaks too badly to use - I can probably get it repaired, but I'm thinking about upgrading. I would like a little larger tank so it won't cycle so much. Needs to be portable to be used in home improvement work when needed. Main uses will be spraying finishes, driving nail guns, and pumping up tires (and soccer balls). And obviously, don't want to spend a ton of money.

Would appreciate any opinions out there. Thanks, Cal

Michael Peet
02-02-2009, 5:20 PM
I too am considering a compressor. I will be watching this thread with interest.

Dan Friedrichs
02-02-2009, 5:36 PM
Watch your local Craigslist. This is a common item for sale in the "tools" category.

Aside from size, oil vs oil-less is really the only other decision you have to make. I would go with a oil-lubricated unit over a "zero maintenance/ oil-free" type compressor. They run quieter, and will certainly last much longer.

You can pick up a good-quality, oil-lubricated, 20gal, "3hp" compressor in good condition (used) for around $70.

Tony Bilello
02-02-2009, 5:36 PM
I have a 30 gal, I think, I am not at my shop now. It uses 110V and has wheels and a handle and is capable of spraying if you get a gun that will use less than 5 CFM. It comes with a gun which I have never used because I have my own. With that small of a volume you can still get an air sander for it, but again remember to check the volume and pressure the sander requires. It is more than adequate for nails.
Most air tools are rated at CFM at a particular given pressure.

BTW, I bought it in Home DEpot

Steve H Graham
02-02-2009, 5:49 PM
Before I got a big compressor, I bought a little oiled Eaton portable. The main reason I like it is that it was a whole lot cheaper than suspiciously similar compressors with other badges on them.

Calvin Hobbs
02-03-2009, 12:35 AM
Watch your local Craigslist. This is a common item for sale in the "tools" category.

Aside from size, oil vs oil-less is really the only other decision you have to make. I would go with a oil-lubricated unit over a "zero maintenance/ oil-free" type compressor. They run quieter, and will certainly last much longer.

You can pick up a good-quality, oil-lubricated, 20gal, "3hp" compressor in good condition (used) for around $70.

Thanks Dan. I have been watching CL but I haven't been sure which ones are better than others, which ones are worth more money. Any specific brands to avoid or ones that are recommended? And yes I would prefer oil-lubricated from what I have learned. Cal

Calvin Hobbs
02-03-2009, 12:37 AM
I have a 30 gal, I think, I am not at my shop now. It uses 110V and has wheels and a handle and is capable of spraying if you get a gun that will use less than 5 CFM. It comes with a gun which I have never used because I have my own. With that small of a volume you can still get an air sander for it, but again remember to check the volume and pressure the sander requires. It is more than adequate for nails.
Most air tools are rated at CFM at a particular given pressure.

BTW, I bought it in Home DEpot

Tony, do you remember what brand this is and approximately what it cost? And are you happy with it? Thanks, Cal

hank dekeyser
02-03-2009, 7:32 AM
Through the years I've used and owned almost any compressor. Stay away from the "oil-less" unless you don't use it much at all, or you got it cheap -they're junk. (I dont care what yer buddies tell you, they are junk)

You need to decide how much you will be using it, and what kind of duty cycles it will see when you do use it. How much space are you willing to give up, and if you want it to be portable.

My favorite / best value was a "speedway series" from HDC - portable, easy to move, works great for nailers - a little under powered for spraying - less than $100 and lasts for years (I used them for many years until I found a Ingersoll Rand on CL dirt cheap) Everybody makes a version of this "hotdog" compressor. If you are the least bit mechanically inclined you should be able to look at a compressor and make a good judgement call.
HF makes a upright 30 gallon thats decent and cost effective.
Personally my current compressors are the - Ingersoll Rand twin tube "hot dog" I use on site for nailers, and my shop compressor is a circa 1950's "American Brake Shoe Mnf. Co. Compressor" I forget exactly who makes the compressor head , but it's a 90 gallon horiz tank w/ dual stage comp. 1/2hp GE motor (the size of a 5 gallon pail) I leave it on 24/7 bought it used for $300 10 years ago- replaced the valves once, and change the oil when I think of it.

If you NEED a compressor and use it often - buy one good one once (more $$) or buy a new cheap one every few years. Either way it evens out in the long run. Just don't cheap out and get one too small - NO such thing as "too much air"

Rich Engelhardt
02-03-2009, 7:55 AM
Hello,

I would like a little larger tank so it won't cycle so much. Needs to be portable to be used in home improvement work when needed
Hello,
I'm looking right now to replace my aging Coleman Powermate - 2.5HP, 7 gal. tank, 125 psi oiless.
Mine's going on 22 years old and while it's been used, it's never been abused.
It's just a matter of time though before it goes.

I've narrowed my choice down to three:
Makita MAC2400
Ingersol Rand DD2T2

(Both 2.5HP 125 psi oil bath w/4.5 gal of storage. ( I can always pipe in a 10 gal aux tank for more storage))
They run about $279 give or take.

The third is a HF 115 psi, 10 gal tank, 2HP oil bath for about $129.

Re: Spraying. IMHO, none of the "portables" are built robust enough for spraying. I'd be more inclined to save the compressor for uses it's designed for, and get a seperate HVLP setup.

I know, a lot are going to say they spray just fine with a portable class machine.
My only answer to that is above in my opening sentance.
I'm starting to look for a replacement for my nearly 22 year old oiless Coleman.
Like I said, it's been used but never abused - or even pushed harder than I felt it should be.

Gene E Miller
02-03-2009, 1:11 PM
Greetings & Salutations,

Before I bought my 80 gal CH big compressor I bought this one and it does a nice job and I used the heck out of it when I built the roof over my front porch.

It has wheels and can be rolled where you need it and has a nice long cord.

I still have it to use if I need to do something up at the house or outside that I can't use my main compressor for.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94667

I have not had one minutes of trouble out of this compressor and if you watch you may be able to catch it on sale now and then. I think I got mine for $169.00 about 3 yrs ago.

Gene

Michael Peet
02-03-2009, 1:29 PM
Is it cool to park the compressor in a closet and run air lines throughout the shop?

Cody Colston
02-03-2009, 3:40 PM
Calvin,

I had nearly the exact same criteria when I went to upgrade my little 5-gal. portable air compressor. I wanted an Ingerssol-Rand but didn't have that much to spend so I decided on a Kobalt from the borg...the blue one I think.

The Kobalt has a 30 gallon tank and is rated at 1.8 running hp. It delivers 5.7 cfm at 90 psi and 7.0 cfm at 40 psi with a max pressure rating of 155 psi. It's on wheels so I can use it outside the shop and it is an oiled compressor which is quieter than the oiless type. I think I paid somewhere close to $400 for it.

Hope this helps.

Calvin Hobbs
02-03-2009, 5:39 PM
Thanks guys for the responses. And keep em coming! Cal

Greg Hines, MD
02-03-2009, 5:47 PM
I bought a Campbell-Hausfeldt 17gal single stage from Tractor Supply company for about $170 last spring. It is on wheels, and works great for nailers, airing up tires, etc. I don't have a spray gun yet, but it is supposed to work ok for it too. It isn't big enough for a lot of the sanders out there, but for short bursts for an impact gun, it should work.

Doc

Josiah Bartlett
02-03-2009, 6:33 PM
I have a 30 gallon horizontal tank Quincy that requires 240V but puts out lots of air. Its on wheels, so it is portable. However, I leave it in the garage and fill up a 10 gallon portable air tank for when I want to drive a few nails or inflate tires. 10 gallons is enough to drive an entire magazine of brads with my Bostich brad nailer, and its enough to fully inflate a truck tire from flat to 40 psi. I put a small painting regulator on the air hose so the air nailer fires consistently. I keep the 10 gallon portable tank charged up with 125 pounds and I only have to fire up my compressor when I am doing something like sanding or painting.

Rich Lightfoot
02-03-2009, 6:59 PM
I can't remember all the specs off the top of my head and I'm 1800 miles from it at the moment but I picked up a 10 gallon upright, oiled, with wheels at Wal-Mart for $125.00. I do remember it does a little more than 4 cfm @ 90 PSI.

Tony Bilello
02-03-2009, 9:19 PM
Mine is a Husky rated at 155PSI, 6 CFM @ 40 PSI and 4 CFM @ 90 PSI.
It is 1.5HP and runs on 110V. It is oil-less. No sure but I think I paid $269. Dont really remember - sorry.
It will make it through a spraying of a healthy coat of lacquer on a 3' X 6' table top with acheap Harbor Freight Spray Gun.
As far as wood workers are concerned, Maximum PSI means nothing because almost every compressor in this size range will run air nailers at 90 to 110 PSI. What really counts is the CFM number. Spray guns and air sanders are air hogs. Make sure the spray guns and other accessories will be rated at an appropriate CFM consumption to match your compressor.
I use mine regularly for sanding and spraying and it does a good job for its size and portability. I recommend it if size, weight and portability are required.
If my power could have handled it, I would have gotten a 60 Gal 5 to 7 Hp

Dave Lewis
02-04-2009, 9:10 PM
I bought my compressor at Sears as refurbished. It's a 26 gal. Campbell Hausfield that says 5 HP peak. The compressor is cast iron and the unit is heavy of course. It plugs into a 110 v, 20 amp circuit and uses it all (can't even plug a light i nto w/o tripping).

Maybe the big-box stores have similar return deals?