PDA

View Full Version : Old Jointer - New For Me - Question to you all

Brad Wood
02-02-2009, 1:49 PM
Hi,

I picked up an old Sears Jointer this weekend. Got it on trade for a power tool I had but never used.
Anyway, I know people have various opinions about Sears tools, and especially about the smaller underpowered shorter bed jointers in general.... but it is what it is. Its my first Jointer, so I figure its a good start.

I found a copy of the owner manual online, and it gives parts for replacement blades, but I doubt Sears still carries them. I'd probably rather get something other than Sears anyway, which brings me to my question...

I found places that list jointer blades for sale and just give the dimensions. So, as long as I know the dimensions of the blades that are in the unit now, can I pretty much just buy any size matching blade I feel like buying?

Thanks in advance

george wilson
02-02-2009, 1:59 PM
Yes,as long as they fit between the gibs,and do not stand much taller than about 1/8" above the cutterhead. Probably 1/8" thick will work. Check it out.

Paul Atkins
02-02-2009, 2:47 PM
Does it not have blades? One set should last you a long time unless you joint a nail or something. Sharpening them is a matter of course rather than replacing them.

Brad Wood
02-02-2009, 2:53 PM
The seem to be in pretty bad shape and figured I would just replace and then sharpen as needed from there.

Gene Howe
02-02-2009, 6:25 PM
Brad,
You may not know the actual age of your machine, but I believe the knives for most of their 6" fit machines spanning a couple decades, anyway.
My Sears jointer is over 30 years old and I just ordered some knives through Sears.
Most well equipped sharpening services can sharpen planer blades.

Craig Summers
02-02-2009, 9:49 PM
I had one of those Sears jointers last year. Fixed it up, put in aftermarket blades and sold it. I got the blades from Global Tooling based on recommendation from Bruce Wrenn (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81818)

Good price and service.

I just bought the same size blades listed in the owners manual.

Steve Clardy
02-02-2009, 9:57 PM
Yes. All the 6" jointers back then for several years took the same size blades. Fairly good old jointers really.
I just retired mine this summer. Its a 1987 or so.
Replaced it with a 8" griz G490

Sitting here collecting dust. I need to sell it.