PDA

View Full Version : Yard fountain

David Klink
07-02-2004, 1:09 AM
This is our bamboo fountain out in front. I actually made the fountain a few years ago, but until today it was sitting in this sickly looking wooden basin I had made that looked like a bunch of cruddy boards nailed together with an old waterbed mattress for a liner to hold the water.

Actually, that's what it was.

This is the first time I've attempted to build anything even close to a wall with these retaining blocks, and I'm pretty pleased with it. I even calculated the number I needed right on the nose, which surprised me to no end.

Normally the LOML doesn't care too much about yard enhancements, but even she said "That looks a LOT better."

http://home.comcast.net/~dklink913/deerchaser.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
07-02-2004, 3:13 AM
David, nice job! I put down around 400 of those retaining blocks a couple of years ago. Easy to work with.......as long as you get the foundation and the first row level. Again, nice job!

David Klink
07-02-2004, 4:08 AM
Thanks Ken. 400? 68 of these little fellas was enough for me. You're right though. They aren't bad to work with at all. I think clearing all the dang marble chips out of the area I worked in was the hardest part.

Jim Becker
07-02-2004, 8:39 AM
Very nice, David. You did a great job on this. Very attractive.

Dr. SWMBO and I finally put our fountain/pond/water feature last weekend in the old dug well at the front of our house. Very nice feature to have on the property and the sound is quite relaxing when we are in that area...helps cut down on the road noise. The birds are quite happy with it, too. I haven't had a chance to deal with the "construction" pictures yet, however...

Dennis Peacock
07-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Looks good David. I think you did a fine job and yes, laying those blocks down let's one know in just a short bit, that they are too out of shape to be doing that kind of work. Especially me!! :eek: ;)

Phil Phelps
07-02-2004, 9:32 PM
#$&*$%^&#%&#&^ if this sucker locks up again......anyway, this is my wifes water fall that bout did me in. All I wanted was a reservoir and a pump. I feel for the poor boy that's gotta' dig a coy pond :eek:

David Klink
07-03-2004, 1:05 AM
Thanks guys. I spent half of my time outside today basically looking at the dang thing. Our grandaughter liked it before, now she really loves it. When she first started to talk, one of her first words was water, because of the fountain.

Dennis, don't I know it. My knees are just now starting to feel agreeable and my back's still talking. Worth it though. A couple of years ago I had the notion to put a 5' x 7' pond in back, but the LOML didn't want anything to do with it. She needn't worry now. :)

Maybe tomorrow I'll take a picture of the old basin to give you all a perspective on the improvement. It's like going from a rusted out Corvair to a mint 63 split window Vette.

David Klink
07-08-2004, 3:11 AM
Added a little something to it today. Picked up a submersible spot for $8 at HF with 4 colored lenses. The only downside is you can't plug it in outside because the adapter isn't weatherproof. 20W, but it gives off more light then I expected it to.

http://home.comcast.net/~dklink913/litfountain.jpg

Jim Becker
07-08-2004, 7:40 AM
I like the "South of the Border" theme in your signature... :D

The light looks very nice.

David Klink
07-08-2004, 2:41 PM
Thanks on both counts, Jim. I had one of those low voltage Malibu light spotlights in that corner, but pulled it. This gives off more light, and adds a nice effect.

As for the signature, Vick and I were talking about old ads one night, and the Burma Shave ad came up. I thought it would be a nice touch.:)

Bruce Page
07-08-2004, 3:49 PM
Very cool fountain David!

I built a retaining wall using 180 of the larger Keystone blocks that pin together using fiberglass pins. At 48 lbs each it was a major grunt job. :(