PDA

View Full Version : Patterns for Turning Bowls and other shapes

Tom Hamilton
02-02-2009, 12:57 PM
In one of his books Richard Raffin mentions that as a beginning production turner he used patterns to get shapes right on bowls.

It got me to wondering if anyone on the Creek has experience making patterns and using them for bowls, boxes, vases etc.

Anyone seen patterns for sale?

Seems like it would be a good learning tool and assistant as one tries new shapes.

Tom, in Houston, waiting for tips and hints on how to use patterns.

Allen Schmid
02-02-2009, 5:05 PM
Tom...
So that's my problem!! I have not used any type of pattern but I can understand the use of them. I found that I would have some ideas of what I wanted to turn, then let the wood start to dictate what shape I would turn! Have to say I have sketched out a few ideas(learned that from my son who is a potter), it does help with the basic approach but overall have just let my imagination (and ability) set the tone for what I turn.
I am sure some of these talented guys may make templates when starting there segmented work or items that you want to reproduce in numbers. Good luck and will be interested in wht kind of responses you receive.
Allen

Gary Max
02-02-2009, 5:58 PM
Humm-----I never make two the same?????????????
I just go through phases.

Bernie Weishapl
02-02-2009, 6:44 PM
I generally just start turning and develop a shape or pattern as I go. I will look at shapes in different stores of glass bowls, boxes, etc. to get ideas.

Kim Ford
02-03-2009, 2:31 PM
Tom;

The best patterns you can look at are usually at art gallerys, live via the web or even submittals here at the creek. Pottery, blown glass, wood, and spun metal are usually the medium. Every time I get a chance I try to look at and evaulate what others do, and then decide if it worked or didn't. Just remember shape is only part of it, just as important to me is the density, the color, the grain, the finish and the orientation.

Now, after saying that, I will also say most wood determines what "Pattern" will work best, taking into account the grain, the color, the orientation, and the shape. When I have had to do commission pieces where the requirement is "just like the piece you did for so and so" I then need to find a blank which works with that "pattern".

There are some woods that have very little expression in the grain so the other factors then become dominant.

Find what you enjoy and let that be your pattern.

Al Wasser
02-03-2009, 2:36 PM
Here are a couple of references you may find helpful:
Woodturning Projects - a guide to shapes by Mark Baker

The Art of Turned Bowls by Richard Raffan

Tom Hamilton
02-03-2009, 3:26 PM
Thanks for the response folks. It is always enlightening to hear from other Creekers.

What Raffan talks about is using a physical patten (template) that the turner can hold against the developing bowl. Raffan's point is that we can develop "muscle memory" of how an ogee curve is done or a cone or whatever shape if we have the pattern/template to guide us.

He suggests using plywood, cut out shape on a bandsaw and use it to guide the turning to completion. After a few bowls with this "training wheel guide" the motions and look will be second nature.

So my question is: has anyone use patterns/templates to guide their turning?

Best regards, Tom

Leo Van Der Loo
02-03-2009, 5:34 PM
One of Raffans books has shapes you can trace, of course you could get a copier and buy a bowl and keep making the same over and over, if that's what you like to do ;-))

Tom Hamilton
02-03-2009, 5:59 PM
Ha, Leo, you're closer to the situation than you know. In trying to get away from turning the same bowl over and over (sweet wife's critique) I have branched out to new forms. Hence the idea of a template to get the fundamentals of different forms down.

Thanks for jumping in, Tom

Leo Van Der Loo
02-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Tom I thought I knew the problem, so tried to have you take a second look at the situation :D.
What might help (I've used it) is to take a look at bowl forms and shapes that you like, and than take piece of paper and just sketch a cut-up view of it, change it around some till you like it, then take it to the lathe and see if you have a blank that will give you that form.
I usually come from the other direction and try to visualize the shape that's flattering the wood if I can, use whatever works :)