PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Water Vapor Filter - Recommendations

David Clawson
02-02-2009, 12:09 PM
I have recently begun using my air compressor to power some woodworking tools (sander, die grinder) beyond the typical nail guns, etc., that I have used in past. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on in-line water/oil/particulate filter systems as I have never worried about this in the past.

If you have a recommendation, can you give me some info about the cost? Do the filters need to be replaced? If so, how much are the filters?

Thanks,
David

Ben Franz
02-03-2009, 1:27 AM
I put in the Grizzly heavy duty regulator/filter/oiler units (about $45). Don't have a lot of usage yet but nothing negative to report. One unit was delivered with a crack in the knob but Grizzly replaced it promptly. Price was good compared to IR or Northern Tool brands.

Byron Trantham
02-03-2009, 7:54 AM
I bought mine from a local auto parts store. I actually have two of them in my system; one right at the tank and one out in the shop where I connect my hose for the tools. I use an inline oiler. Its a device that connects right at the tool. You do not want to run oil through a line that may be used later to operate a sprayer. So my normal air supply is oilless. When I use my tools that require oil I connect the in line oiler to the hose and then connect the tool to that.

Art Kelly
02-03-2009, 10:47 AM
I like to use filters with the "Automatic Pulse Drain" feature like the Parker 14F15AB. Just don't put anything underneath that you don't want water drops falling on. I also have one I bought at Sears a long time ago, but it's no longer available. Made by C.A. Norgren company.

HF sells disposable inline filters, p/n 65978-0VGA that are helpful.

Josiah Bartlett
02-03-2009, 7:09 PM
Whatever you use, be aware that the water won't come out of the air without cooling it somewhat, either through a pressure drop or a long run of pipe. When I'm painting I run a loop of air hose through a bucket filled with cold water, then the drier, then another hose to a regulator, then a disposable dessicant filter, then the gun. A more permanent solution is to plumb in a long run of black iron pipe with a tee to catch the condensation and a drain valve, much like you would see in natural gas piping.

Matt Meiser
02-03-2009, 8:18 PM
I picked up a couple Parker filter/regulator units off Ebay several years ago and they served me well until I got a plasma cutter which needs REALLY clean/dry air. I picked up a Motor Guard filter like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Motor-Guard-JLMM45-Air-Filter/dp/B000VXIR88) that is mounted on my plasma cutter's cart.