PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Table Saw Kickback Ad

Jeremy Rayburn
02-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Just curious how many people got a kick out of the Pepsi ad, with the guy jamming a piece of wood into the blade, than getting some sweet kickback which launched the wood into the back of his buddy standing behind him... link below

http://www.hulu.com/superbowl/55735/super-bowl-xliii-ads-pepsi-max-im-good-full-version

Alan Tolchinsky
02-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Yes, that really cracked me up. It went by so fast I didn't have a chance to tell my wife. But any woodworker would have realized what was happening there. Thanks for the link.

Vince Shriver
02-02-2009, 11:06 AM
I started watching them, and couldn't stop at the one, and had to watch them all - wasted half my morning. Thanks a lot.

Richard Magbanua
02-02-2009, 12:57 PM
That was awesome. I too got more amused than anyone else. First thing I thought was, "I bet all the Creekers watching that are laughing their butts off!".

John Lucas
02-02-2009, 1:26 PM
I saw it and it went by so fast, I saved it to TIVO and showed my wife. While "funny", we both thought that it was irresponsible to be poking fun at. But we like Coke anyway.

Rob Russell
02-02-2009, 1:36 PM
I vaguely remembered the, but not the kickback part (might have missed it)

I think it's irresponsible to show a kickback like that as being funny - it clearly gives the message that the guy who was hit wasn't injured.

Adam Cavaliere
02-02-2009, 1:41 PM
John,

Why did you find it irresponsible to be poking fun at it? I think it was great! A lot of us on here I am sure have experienced kick back. While not fun and very dangerous, one can appreciate the humor in that commercial, while not being offended. At least that is my opinion.

Adam Cavaliere
02-02-2009, 1:44 PM
Like we are to expect having a bowling ball dropped on someones head isn't going to cause an injury. Come on! Or like someone without pads on being tackled isn't going to be injured - which happened in another one of their commercials. Sometimes you have to take it for what it is, an ad. If you want to take it even further, you are going to tell me they shouldn't have had a horse fetching a log because one might get the wrong impression from that.

Thomas Bank
02-02-2009, 1:49 PM
Like we are to expect having a bowling ball dropped on someones head isn't going to cause an injury.

That was my reaction - or the one with the guy being electrocuted and thrown across the lawn into the trailer. Any number of those would cause serious injury or death in real life. I took the whole thing in the same way as a Road Runner cartoon with the Coyote getting blown up, smashed, and clobbered...

Larry Browning
02-02-2009, 1:56 PM
As I recall in that same commercial there was a guy on a ladder holding the main power line to the house in his teeth when his "buddy" flipped the switch. It blew the guy off the ladder and into the house next door. That would have been horrifying in real life, but it came off funny in the ad. I think everyone knows the difference between reality and this stuff. I mean come on! The three stooges should have been killed a 1000 times, but whom among us has not laughed until we cried at those idiots? This falls into the same category. Come on Rob, lighten up a bit, you will enjoy life much more that way.

Ian Gillis
02-02-2009, 2:05 PM
Hey

That was pretty funny! Looks like there are some future Darwin Award winners in the group.

A friend of mine once caught a narrow piece that was cut on the fence side of the blade in a sensitive area. He was not "Good". He was in the fetal position for about 15 minutes they could do a count to see if he was still all there. When he got home his GF sent him to the ER!

I think the guy sticking out of the moon roof would be the most likely DOA from this group -- but he might not be alone!

Cheers
Ian

Chris Padilla
02-02-2009, 3:09 PM
Funny stuff. I had the SB on in the background in the shop so I didn't catch most of the commercials....

Of course, the way he was holding the wood...my goodness!

Jim Kountz
02-02-2009, 4:37 PM
Like we are to expect having a bowling ball dropped on someones head isn't going to cause an injury. Come on! Or like someone without pads on being tackled isn't going to be injured - which happened in another one of their commercials. Sometimes you have to take it for what it is, an ad. If you want to take it even further, you are going to tell me they shouldn't have had a horse fetching a log because one might get the wrong impression from that.

Well said ol boy!! Its hollywood baby not real life, you guys need to lighten up just a wee bit!!:D:D

Eric DeSilva
02-02-2009, 5:29 PM
or the one with the guy being electrocuted and thrown across the lawn into the trailer.

I think that was my favorite. I liked the completeness of the dent in the trailer after he hit it.

Overall, I think I preferred the crystal ball advert--"Free doritos at work today... I think that's a 'yes!'"

Greg Peterson
02-02-2009, 5:46 PM
I like physical comedy. I thought the ad was great. I also liked the Crystal Ball ad. Especially when the guy was trying to divine whether or not his raise was imminent.

Jim Heffner
02-02-2009, 9:52 PM
I saw this and could not resist laughing at their stupidity! Come on here, get real, that guy on the ladder working on the outdoor light, is really lucky that he isn't dead! And to think that there are a lot more of these morons out there running loose in our world, and breathing our air and taking up space and multiplying all the time..........something to think about!