PDA

View Full Version : FRANK how's the snow?

James Jaragosky
02-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Heavy snow in Britain causes chaos.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20090202/capt.07bd5e9328b44aed88fa9805710d6a80.britain_weat her_lst108.jpg?x=213&y=142&xc=1&yc=1&wc=410&hc=273&q=85&sig=FDMh57L3nAjOHK6Ooa3VAA-- (http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/People-walk-down-snow-covered-railway-tram-line-Croydon-south/photo//090202/481/07bd5e9328b44aed88fa9805710d6a80//s:/ap/20090202/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_weather) AP – People walk down a snow covered railway tram line in Croydon, south London, Monday, Feb. 2, 2009. Heavy …

LONDON – The British capital ground to a halt on Monday after the worst snowstorm in 18 years caused hundreds of flight cancellations and virtually shut down public transportation.

Scott Shepherd
02-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Frank doesn't have any snow, he melted it all with his torch, flake by flake as it was falling :p

Matt Meiser
02-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Wow! I can't imagine London in a major snow. Everything is packed together so much more tightly than in US big cities--I can't imagine where they would put it when the shovel/plow.

Frank Corker
02-02-2009, 11:27 AM
London had about 8" to 10" they are about 170 miles as the crow flies from where I am. We had about 1" of snow this morning but it's gone now. It's 4 celsius but a chilly wind with it makes it seem a damned sight colder. The fifty feet to my cabin took longer than normal.

George Brown
02-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Well, that's global warming for you!

Larry Bratton
02-02-2009, 7:04 PM
Well, that's global warming for you!
I suspect those folks in this country in Kentucky are saying.."Global warming..where are you when I need you!!"

pete hagan
02-02-2009, 9:10 PM
Well I certainly hope that Frank is warm and cozy in the cabin but for those of us in KY it wasn't warm at all! I personally believe that global warming is a reality. It may be a funny quip to use but over the next 25 years we’ll see whether or not our damage to Mother Earth has indeed produced global warming . I can say that she will win no matter what! And DARN it was cold! But not as bad as 2003 where we were without power for 10 days. This year it was only 5 days but that’s where my anti-freeze post came from.

It was funny to see the news reports with 5" in Paris (France not Kentucky) and 10" in London (again France not Kentucky). For some reason there are a lot of towns here with European names and really funny pronunciations. People looked at me really funny after moving to Kentucky when I said I lived near Versailles. Here they pronounce it “ver-seylz” insead of “ver-sahy”. I only knew it as Versailles, France!

Dan Hintz
02-03-2009, 8:45 AM
Pete,

Try getting Massachusetts out-of-towners to pronounce Gloucester and Worcester correctly!

(For those who have never lived in New England, they're pronounced Gloss-ter and Wuss-ter... Frank probably already knows this)

Frank Corker
02-03-2009, 8:51 AM
I do! Getting back to the weather, temperature rose to 3 celsius today and the sun was shining from first thing until 1.30 amazing difference. Last night we'd had about an inch of snow but it was all gone again this morning. I wonder what they do with it?

Glenn Clabo
02-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Pete,

Try getting Massachusetts out-of-towners to pronounce Gloucester and Worcester correctly!

(For those who have never lived in New England, they're pronounced Gloss-ter and Wuss-ter... Frank probably already knows this)

That would be Gloss-Tah and Wuss-Tah.

Marc Myer
02-03-2009, 1:27 PM
Snow is that white stuff you see in pictures of skiiers, right?
We haven't had snow, but a definite cold snap here. We nearly broke our all-time cold record of 54 degrees fahrenheit last week.
I like reading about the global warming and cooling cycles; it's starting to look like the cycle may be shifting again.

Frank, don't you Brits still have streets named 'Vineyard' and such, left over from the last bout of warming? Bet that's looking better all the time.

Dan Hintz
02-03-2009, 2:18 PM
That would be Gloss-Tah and Wuss-Tah.
Doood, let's go down ta Haahvahd Yahd, get sum beeahs and beet up on sum Baahnees....

How I do not miss that accent... my mid-Western was hard enough to get rid of, and even now I still have a funky way of pronouncing 'r's.

Lisa Walter
02-03-2009, 2:52 PM
A little note on global warming......I work part time for a historical society near here. Part of my job is looking through microfilm of papers back into the early 1800s. Just last week I read an old newspaper article that talked about the 70 degree temperatures, a tornado that had come through (suspected tornado), heavy rains like they had never seen, trees starting to bud, etc etc. The funny part is, it was from the 1850s and it was JANUARY!! We are in the northeastern part of Pennsylvania and 70s in January is pretty rare. When I was done reading the article to my co workers they thought it was written in the present and were already complaining about global warming. I'm not so sure about this global warming thing. I am keeping my ears open to learn more :)

Lisa

Glenn Clabo
02-03-2009, 3:03 PM
Nobody has yet...but because we have had a terrible time keeping "global warming" away from political (and heated) discussions... please... please... please... don't cross that line.

Scott Shepherd
02-03-2009, 3:05 PM
I believe there was a large meeting with climatologists recently somewhere in the world and over 600 of them (doing this from memory) went on record saying they believe we are entering a 1500 year cycle ice age.

Eggs are bad for you, no good for you, no bad for you, fiber is good, no bad, no good, no bad, white bread is bad, no good, no bad, no good, blah blah blah.

Scientists haven't gotten much right on all the big things out there. Who knows? Exactly no one! :)

Tim Bateson
02-03-2009, 3:32 PM
I agree Scott. Mother nature can be nasty and semi unpredictable. The earth has had global warming long before the industrial age and ice ages as well. Scientists have proven that tropical plants once grew in Greenland. The earth will go through cycles over & over, long after we're all gone. It'll do so and it'll survive.

:-)

Tim Bateson
02-03-2009, 3:36 PM
Hey Glenn, Just FYI, I don't know if it's real or not, I won't take either side. Does that help keep this non-political? :D

George Brown
02-03-2009, 3:55 PM
Talking about the earth changing (ok - not climate), I saw a program a while ago that was investigating the changing of the earth's magnetic pole. They were saying that a long time ago, the magnetic north was actually pointing south and visa versa. And again it is changing, a few hundred thousand years in the future, it will be pointing down south again. Talking about things getting really screwed up!

Belinda Barfield
02-03-2009, 4:41 PM
Ahh . . . crustal displacement theory (not to be confused with pole shift theory). If I live long enough the crust will shift and I'll be almost living at a pole. That's why you have wooly mammoths frozen with dandelions in their mouths. You never know . . .

Glenn Clabo
02-03-2009, 5:11 PM
Yes...and that's my final answer.