PDA

View Full Version : Tired of buying shirts....

Scott Shepherd
02-02-2009, 9:32 AM
Is it just me, or is anyone else out there tired of buying brand new shirts, bringing them home, washing them, and having them have a permanent crease somewhere that will NOT come out? I'm talking about things like collars that don't break at the proper level, so they never sit right. I'm talking about flaps of fabric that flip when they should flop. All the ironing, dry cleaning, etc. in the world will NOT get the memory out of fabric.

I'm not talking cheap cheap shirts, but things like Van Husen (sp?), Columbia, Hagar, etc.

I'm fed up with spending $30-60 on a shirt, wash it once, and have a perma crease in it that I can't get out. I've talked about it with a number of friends and they have noticed the same thing. Anyone else experiencing this?

You used to go to the store, buy a shirt, and that was the end of the story. I can honestly say that buying shirts for me is now one of the worst shopping experiences I have. The process is now, buy it, wash it, decide to throw it into a pile to give to someone who doesn't care, or take it back and try to let them explain to me how it's somehow my fault.

Anyone else having permacrease problems in shirts these days or am I just losing it?

Angus Hines
02-02-2009, 9:51 AM
I dont know about Perma crease's. But I'll take all that you want to give away.

Almost all of my shirts now have a perma grease streak on them across the front from the BOT.

Thomas Bank
02-02-2009, 11:15 AM
No problems with the perma-crease issue that I've found, but my complaint is the short fiber thread they use that has buttons unraveling off in a matter of months...

chet jamio
02-02-2009, 11:24 AM
I've had the same problem for years. I eventually found that the expensive Haggar shirts never form a crease in the collars. The cheaper versions do, but the expensive ones don't. I think they're about $35. Before these, I had the same procedure as you - wash a shirt once and then 50% of them went into the trash.

Every couple years, I go to the Haggar outlet and buy one of every color. It's nice to know someone else is overly irritated with this minor issue.

Kevin Arceneaux
02-02-2009, 12:13 PM
I love just having to wear a workshirt that I do not have to worry about this. And when it gets a tad bit warmer, t-shirts are ok here.

Kyle Kraft
02-02-2009, 3:21 PM
I feel your pain. I have a quilted flannel shirt from Gander Mountain that has a goofy perma-crease in the collar that makes it look like the Flying Nun's hat.

Kevin Arceneaux
02-02-2009, 3:55 PM
I feel your pain. I have a quilted flannel shirt from Gander Mountain that has a goofy perma-crease in the collar that makes it look like the Flying Nun's hat.

No pictures?

Bill Keehn
02-02-2009, 5:00 PM
My good dress shirts only get dry cleaned. Most of the time I try to wear 100% cotton and I never have a perma crease. If there is a crease it irons out easily. Don't dry your shirts on too high of a temp and if possible let them drip dry.

A long time ago I used to have trouble with collars breaking at the wrong level, but then a friend showed me the difference between a coat hanger (first picture) and a shirt hanger (second picture). Also always button the collar on the hangar.

Art Mulder
02-03-2009, 12:26 PM
If there is a crease it irons out easily.

This is where I give thanks that I'm employed at a university, where jeans and a polo/golf shirt are perfectly acceptable attire. (Heck, I'm wearing a t-shirt under a nice sweatshirt today.)

One of my personal philosophies is: "Life is too short to iron" :cool:

...art

ps: and fancy for me is almost always a "collarless" (or mandarin-style-collar) shirt. No worries there about funky creases.

Scott Shepherd
02-03-2009, 1:43 PM
Happens on short sleeve polo type shirts as well. Nothing to do with hangers, it comes out the washer and you can see the crease. It's like the material used had memory, and it's waiting in hiding to be washed. Once washed, it springs back to memory and there ya go.