PDA

View Full Version : Had fun at Canton - Report

Justin Green
02-02-2009, 9:16 AM
For those in Texas, or considering a trip to Canton, Texas to the gigantic flea market, it's a lot of fun. I went this weekend and saw a lot of planes, but in the end, came home without one (or my box of parts!!!:()

I estimate I saw around 50 hand planes at different vendors. Most were Handyman/Defiance type planes or no-name planes. I estimate that most were #4s in various condition states. There was also a very clean number 2 Stanley for $200 and a very clean #5 for $50. I also saw a Miller Falls (can't remember the number but it was roughly the same size as a Stanley #6). I need a jack plane, but passed as I don't know enough about the Miller Falls planes. I'm kicking myself on the number 5, which was pre-War and looked like it had been redone which would have saved me some work. I saw a #10 Carriage maker's rabbet plane which was broken on one side and broken and brazed on the other - passed. I also saw a Craftsman store display try square (huge, wood and brass) for $45 that I thought about picking up as well. There was a box of planes for sale, but many were beat up Stanley 110s (or some newer variety thereof)... SHOULD have bought a few of the cheap planes for parts, but I know I'd be tempted to try and fix them up as well...

I ended up buying two sliding bevels, one a Stanley sweetheart and the other an older Stanley sliding bevel with the 98 patent date. Both for $8 and in decent shape. I also picked up an old try square for $4 that was in nice condition, but upon getting home, discovered it's not quite in square. I'll try and post some pictures tonight (had to get back to watch the Superbowl)...

Canton was a little short on dealers this time. A lot of the dealers travel a decent ways to get there and cold weather scares them a bit, so if you're thinking about going try a warmer month.

Rusty Elam
02-02-2009, 2:00 PM
Yeah I was there also, pretty slim pickings. That #2 was nice but not for $200 bucks.
I did pick up a Miller Falls handsaw, straight and in good shape for $2 though. Anyway it was a nice day in the 70s for it.
Rusty

Martin Shupe
02-02-2009, 3:29 PM
I have not been to Canton in several lustrums. Did you see any Disston backsaws? I really need to go sometime, but it always seems I am busy on the proper weekend.

David Myers
02-02-2009, 6:26 PM
Thanks for the report guys. My folks live out in Hawkins (near Mineola) and I've been contemplating dropping the kiddos off there while I go to Canton.

Was there much in the way of braces/bits?

Rusty Elam
02-02-2009, 8:48 PM
Not really much of anything there this weekend, few vendors and alot of the ones that were there on Sunday were packing up at about noon or a little later.
As for braces, not much but some real junk and people wanted $20 for them.
No Disston back saws Martin, the only way I found the Miller Falls saw that I got was there was a guy that had a pile of really junk saws and my wife was looking at something else so I dug around and found this one decent saw. I would not have given $2 for the rest of the pile.
My wife goes there 2 or 3 times a year and she said this was the smallest she has ever seen it.
Like i said above though the little #2 was pretty sweet, just too rich for my blood.
Rusty

James Carmichael
02-05-2009, 2:51 PM
Thanks for the report. I was starting to contemplate a Caton trip, but not so sure now. I went once, back in the 80s. Even then you couldn't see everything in a day.

I hit Weatherford's First Monday this past weekend. It was pathetic, but I left with a nice old DeWalt MBC RAS for $50.

James Carmichael
02-05-2009, 2:55 PM
I have not been to Canton in several lustrums. Did you see any Disston backsaws? I really need to go sometime, but it always seems I am busy on the proper weekend.

I did see one old tool dealer at Weatherford (both the tools and dealer), but he was a little too proud of his wares. When he quoted me $70 for a no-name stair saw, I figured I'd seen enough.