PDA

View Full Version : Oak rocking chair rocker needs help

Gordon LaVere
02-02-2009, 8:47 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3451/3246814717_b54e318f8e.jpg

My wife bought this at a moving sale. When we got home I found the splintering of the rocker. How can I fix this. I was thinking adding some two part epoxy then sand. I don't expect it to last 50 years nor is it a valuable antique. You won't see this on The antique road show (TARS) ;)

Pete Lamberty
02-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Hi Gordon, I came up with a crazy idea as I read/looked at your post. Lets say you cut two 1/8 inch or maybe 1/4 inch thick strips of oak that are a little wider and a little longer than the rocker. Then just glue one of these strips onto each of the rockers. Of course you would have to prepare the bottoms of each rocker to accept the glue. And you would need a lot of clamps. But you get the idea. Then just sand/plane/scrap the excess down to the width and length of the original rockers. Do you think this would work? Good luck, Pete

Gordon LaVere
02-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Thank Pete
For that idea. I'll talk it over with the wife.

Gordon

lowell holmes
02-02-2009, 12:38 PM
I would just make a replacement rocker. It's not that difficult. A bandsaw and some spoke shaves will do it.

Tony Bilello
02-02-2009, 7:12 PM
I have done it before and it is really not all that hard to do. Just take a lot of care in fitting the legs to the new rocker. The alignment of the holes can be made after the new rocker is shaped and the old one is next to it.
As for adding a center spline, I think that is what you were hinting at, I dont think it would be strong enough. We dont have a really good idea of the break, but from what I can tell by the type of break, there are some underlying causes of the break, like maybe some rot?

Anyway, best of luck.