PDA

View Full Version : 9.5" Spalted & figured Sugar Maple dish

Leo Van Der Loo
02-02-2009, 1:12 AM
Had this little dish for a while already and finely finished it, I did have quite a job getting it smooth as some of the spalted wood was pretty soft, I've probably got a dozen coats or better (lost count) of Polymerized Tung oil on it, it shines like a mirror, hat to keep it so that there was no glare to make the pictures.
The bottom has only two coats on and I might put some more on if I have time for it :), as a client that came by today saw it and wanted right to first refusal :D, so I guess it's sold :D
All comments are appreciated :D

Jim Kountz
02-02-2009, 1:18 AM
Stunning grain and figure Leo, fantastic job and congrats on the sale too!!

alex carey
02-02-2009, 1:28 AM
nice form and nice grain. dozen coats!!! wow!!

Leo Van Der Loo
02-02-2009, 1:57 AM
Thanks Jim :D, yes and the other good thing was, that she brought some friends along and a nice big Black Cherry bowl went along with them as well :D :D

Leo Van Der Loo
02-02-2009, 2:02 AM
Thank you Alex :D, yes I used the Tung oil to smoothen the slightly rough soft spots, so I did a lot of sanding the finish back, nice thing with Polymerized Tung is that it is hard pretty fast, I can add a coat every day, but I leave the last ones to harden longer so I can buff it, doesn't yellow up like BLO either, as you can see :).

Dewey Torres
02-02-2009, 2:26 AM
Was I the only one who thought the grain looked like a mountain scene? 2nd pic "clouds on top" Stunning!

Gary Max
02-02-2009, 6:03 AM
Super nice platter---I really like the base you cut. It's always nice to make a few extra coins.

Steve Schlumpf
02-02-2009, 7:54 AM
Leo - beautiful dish! Outstanding wood! I can see why this sold! Would make for quite the display piece! Agree with Dewey - one position it is a mountain scene and opposite is a valley! Just love all the curl!

Congrats on the sales!

Tony Greenway
02-02-2009, 7:55 AM
Leo, most of us would've had to settle with a pretty piece with rough spots on it, but your turning wisdom fixed the problem. Great looking dish.......Tony

Jeff Nicol
02-02-2009, 9:10 AM
Leo, That has it all, the spalting with all the figuring it is spectacular! Now you need to find a piece like that about 2 feet long and 12" around and turn a big HF/vase.

Great job as always!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
02-02-2009, 9:43 AM
Beautiful piece Leo. Love the wood.

John Timberlake
02-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Gorgeous piece of wood and your turning did it justice. Very nice.

Bill Bolen
02-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Mighty pretty piece Leo.. Glad it is going to a home that will appreciate it and a few $$ in your pocket too..Bill..

Martin Shupe
02-02-2009, 3:33 PM
Wow! That's beautiful!

Ron Lynch
02-02-2009, 4:48 PM
Great work with spectacular wood.

Allen Schmid
02-02-2009, 4:56 PM
Leo,
That is a great looking shallow plate/dish. Nice job on the bottom, I like the diameter of the base. Very nice, you always post some real winners.
Allen

Marc Himes
02-02-2009, 6:58 PM
That is a beautiful platter Lou. Is the top flat of concave? I can't tell from the picture. The wood is spectacular and the simple form shows it off well. I like the detail on the bottom and you even make the signature look really nice. Well done!

Marc Himes

Tom Wilson66
02-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Great work, looks like a Japanese landscape painting.:)

Leo Van Der Loo
02-03-2009, 2:23 AM
Was I the only one who thought the grain looked like a mountain scene? 2nd pic "clouds on top" Stunning!

Thanks Dewey, it sure is a picture isn't it, yes it took some doing but worth it I thought :)

Super nice platter---I really like the base you cut. It's always nice to make a few extra coins.

Thank you Gary, extra coins yes, but more like I just can't keep them all myself, and Im glad someone else does want to have and look after it :D

Leo - beautiful dish! Outstanding wood! I can see why this sold! Would make for quite the display piece! Agree with Dewey - one position it is a mountain scene and opposite is a valley! Just love all the curl!

Congrats on the sales!

Thank you Steve :D, yes it isn't very big and knowing the person that wants it, it will be mostly for display, yes wood is a wondrous thing :)

Leo, most of us would've had to settle with a pretty piece with rough spots on it, but your turning wisdom fixed the problem. Great looking dish.......Tony

Thanks Tony, yes like I said took some doing, but I thought it was worth doing all the extra work, it isn't everyday you get a piece of wood like that :)

Leo Van Der Loo
02-03-2009, 2:34 AM
Leo, That has it all, the spalting with all the figuring it is spectacular! Now you need to find a piece like that about 2 feet long and 12" around and turn a big HF/vase.

Great job as always!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, thanks, you know if I found a large solid piece like that, I'd probably make a whole bunch of platters and bowls out of it, yes a HF is nice but you get so much more exposed surface with platters and bowls, while with a HF most of that wood goes into shavings, just me I suppose :o

Beautiful piece Leo. Love the wood.

Thanks Bernie, take care :D

Gorgeous piece of wood and your turning did it justice. Very nice.

Thanks for the comment John :D

Mighty pretty piece Leo.. Glad it is going to a home that will appreciate it and a few $$ in your pocket too..Bill..

Thank you Bill :D, yes that's so true, the $$ are nice, but having someone love it is worth as much I think :)

Wow! That's beautiful!

Thank you Martin :D

Leo Van Der Loo
02-03-2009, 2:42 AM
That is a beautiful platter Lou. Is the top flat of concave? I can't tell from the picture. The wood is spectacular and the simple form shows it off well. I like the detail on the bottom and you even make the signature look really nice. Well done!

Marc Himes

Thanks Marc :), yes it is concave Marc, got a bit of a bent from drying also, true' it looks good but with such soft wood you do want to keep it simple also ;),

Great work, looks like a Japanese landscape painting.:)

Thanks Tom :D, never enough of this kind of wood around, it is a picture for sure :D

Leo Van Der Loo
02-03-2009, 2:45 AM
Leo,
That is a great looking shallow plate/dish. Nice job on the bottom, I like the diameter of the base. Very nice, you always post some real winners.
Allen

Thanks for commenting Allen :), I just love turning Allen, have done for a long time, seems to rub off on the stuff I do, I think ;)

Greg Ketell
02-03-2009, 1:36 PM
Oh man that is outstandingly beautiful!!!!!

Where in the world do you find the wood you keep turning? It is all so wonderful. And your skill to be able to bring it to its grandest look.... awesome!!

GK

Leo Van Der Loo
02-03-2009, 5:41 PM
Thank you Greg :), where ?? City wood dump, big old City trees is where you will find figure and sometimes spalting, very little to be found ina 10 or 12 inch tree/log.
Biggest problem nowadays is that they waste un-renewable energy to destroy renewable energy souces, by chipping each and every piece of wood it seems :(, what a waste :mad:

Keith Burns
02-03-2009, 8:26 PM
Wonderful piece of wood Leo and a nice simple form to show it off !

Leo Van Der Loo
02-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Thank you for taking the time to comment on it Keith, appreciated :D