PDA

View Full Version : Dining Table: Legs vs. Trestles

Stephen Shapinsky
02-02-2009, 12:49 AM
I'm making the wife a dining table w 8/4 red oak. (Probable dimensions of top: 70" x 36".) She can't decide on a design: legs or trestles. To me, legs would get in the way less than trestles for seating flexibility. Any opinions / considerations to keep in mind?

The design will be basic and simple.

Either way, are there guidelines for leg/trestle thickness to match the top (i.e., a near-2" top needs 3x3" legs, etc.)?

Any advice appreciated. I've learned a ton from this forum.

Jamie Buxton
02-02-2009, 12:56 AM
The trestle approach does seem to offer more room for knees and such, except in shorter tables. You generally want to keep the trestles far enough from the ends so that people can sit there without running their feet or knees into the trestle. However, with shorter tables, the trestles can get so close together they look odd, and/or the table gets tippy.

Brian Jarnell
02-02-2009, 1:26 AM
I am a tapered leg man,3.5" is good.
I like trestles on garden furniture.

NICK BARBOZA
02-02-2009, 7:51 AM
im in the midst of building a trestle table (96" x 34") out of cherry. I like the stout look of trestles supporting a nice long table vs legs. as stated above, you do want to make sure to keep the trestles in so a person can sit at the head of the table comfortably. I kept mine in +/- 18" thus leaving the trestle assembly about 5' long.

Good luck!
Nick

Al Navas
02-02-2009, 8:15 AM
You might want to read online some of this book, Tables, Outstanding Projects from America's Best Craftsmen (http://books.google.com/books?id=alFdFc9KoEEC&pg=RA2-PT1&lpg=RA2-PT1&dq=trestle+table+design+guideline&source=web&ots=rwM8Qw8Cmf&sig=-CKvI4mmf7ZiT-BlEpaELUUPIHs&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#PPP1,M1), from Taunton Press. It provides basics of table design, and shows HOW to build 10 classic tables, including one trestle table.

You also might want to read this paper on Table Design Guidelines (http://www.woodbin.com/ref/furniture/tables.htm), available at WoodBin Woodworking. Although it does not contain anything specific to trestle tables, it does provide guidelines on dimensions, etc.

Bill White
02-02-2009, 9:28 AM
that's gonna be a really thick top. If ya decide to stick with that thickness, I would go with a beefy leg. Look at:
www.osbornewood.com (http://www.osbornewood.com) (I have no connection, just use them on occaision.):)
for styles and dimensions as a reference.
IMNSHO....trestles don't work well for dining. People always puttin' their feet on my woodwork tend to p--- me off.
Bill

Danny Thompson
02-02-2009, 9:56 AM
The table in my breakfast area is 72 x 36. It has a 1" top, 3" apron, and heavy tapered legs (3" square at the top) very near the corners (~1" lip). We never have a problem with the legs getting in the way.

My other table has a 2 7/8" thick top with a trestle. Knees and feet reach the trestle and stretcher, but noone has been hurt yet.

Tony Bilello
02-02-2009, 10:14 AM
A 3' X 6' table is a nice size and either one should work. It's a matter of which style you like best. A table that size with a thick top can dominate a room if it's not a large room. If it is a large room, it will probably be the focal point. Table top thickness and legs are also a matter of taste. For a 2" top you might want to consider 2 3/4" to 3 1/2" thick legs. Again, it's a matter of the overall look. Trestle legs probably would look good at 1 1/2" thick.
I always glue up my tops first. If in doubt about the leg thickness, quickly cut up or nail up some pine 2X4's and and a quick frame. See how the legs look with the top.
Mock 2x4 legs and frame shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

Randy Klein
02-02-2009, 12:10 PM
I like the hayrake design. It seems like the best of both worlds - trestle and legs. PWW just had an article about one.

Here is a link (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=697e5edceaffe68e738e43095496b061)to the Sketchup of such.

Stephen Shapinsky
02-02-2009, 4:56 PM
I was curious to see if people had a strong argument pro or con. I guess I'll let the boss decide.

Chris Kennedy
02-02-2009, 6:00 PM
I prefer the look of trestle tables, although all I have ever owned were regular leg tables. I also agree with the hayrake table in PWW -- that really spoke to me.

One thing that might make the difference is when you have to "overcrowd" a table. Corner legs always get in the way. I think you might have an easier time straddling a trestle than a leg at the corner.

Cheers,

Chris

Billy Elliott
02-02-2009, 8:53 PM
This is a table I did for my daughter a few years ago.