PDA

View Full Version : Stanley No. 55 still useable?

Bruce Barker
02-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Going through my father's effects, I found these cutters for a Stanley No. 55 plane. I am fairly certain the plane is around too, I think I recall seeing it.

Question: does anybody still use these, with the advent of routers? Any specialized tasks they might perform? I am looking for an excuse to keep and use the plane and blades, as they are an attractive bit of kit.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Sure it's usable. Collectable as well. I imagine this thread will get moved next door, where you can pick up all the particulars. A year ago or so, a good 55 brought $400 to $500. Doubt they bring half of that right now, but the value will be back. Have fun with it!

BTW, your photo sure looks like my little dog, who is sitting here glaring at me for some reason...

Bill Keehn
02-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Defininitely a keeper.

Matt Zettl
02-02-2009, 5:52 AM
I also have one that belonged to my grandfather, and I have collected Stanley planes for many years. The 55 was certainly the ultimate achievement in plane making technology. The only problem with it is that you need to have a doctorate in mechanical engineering to set it up! :confused::mad:It's kind of a fund exercise to make some moldings with it just to say that you have done it, but to use it in a practical fashion is most likely unrealistic. I seriously doubt that many of these planes were ever used to significant extent. The 45 is much simpler and can be set up fairly quickly to cut beads, coves, etc., but it is no match for a router.

The 55 is certainly collectible, but as with any old plane, it is best if complete. Unless you are very familiar with the plane, a number of parts can be missing, and you would not be aware of it. You can probably find a reproduction of the owner's manual online, if you don't have the original. Then you can do an inventory of the parts, cutters, etc. Even an original owner's manual is fairly valuable. If you wanted to take a few photos, I could help you out in deciding if it's complete.

In any case, you should keep it since it belonged to your father.

Matt

willie sobat
02-02-2009, 6:28 AM
+1 on what Matt said. I have one. It is fun to play with. However, Due to the lack of support at the mouth tear out is often a problem. If you stick to clear straight grained soft woods you can produce decent results.

Chris Kennedy
02-02-2009, 5:53 PM
Completely useless. Send it to me and I'll get rid of it for you.:D

All kidding aside, that is a good find. Yes, they are very complicated and have their issues, but they're pretty cool. And more to the point, getting a tool belonging to a previous generation of your family up and running -- it's pretty cool, too.

Cheers,

Chris