PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Man emerges!!

Jerry Olexa
07-01-2004, 6:10 PM
Hi y'all! I've been a member about 6 weeks now (in stealth mode)and gained much respect for this forum and its members. You guys know your craft and I look forward to the general advice/insight I get here. However,. Its time to go public. As you can probably tell, I am not a professional but have enjoyed building, woodworking all my life. Now that I am retired, I have more time to devote but along w that comes a restrictive back condition that limits the macho side of building so I now learning the "softer"furnture side which requires more attention to detail and patience! In days past, I've built 5 or 6 decks, remodeled or finished 4 or 5 basements (we've moved 7 times), built a large amt of bookcases and storage units (but no pix). At age 51, I started my biggest project to date and built a cabin on 20ac of raw land doing just about all the work myself including the foundation , plumbing and some of the electrical. I will try to attach some photos including some cabin shots(my first attempt attaching photos-Hope it works) and hope for the best. Also will be a picture of the computer desk just completed last year made of oak ( good trial wood I think). I used no plans and excuse the finishing. It was done w the old MinWax and Poly. Im now learning about oils, shellacs, glazes,non poly varnishes etc and my current cherry project should show some improvement at least in finishing! So excuse my quietness here w/o letting you know who I am. As I say to my son in law as we work on older projects together "It's just another hatchet job!". The work I've seen on this forum is of high calibre and thanks for letting me join and learn. Be patient with me. I'm definetly a "work in progress" Jerry:)
P>S> I will next try to figure out the avatar!?

Stefan Antwarg
07-01-2004, 6:21 PM
Welcome Jerry. I would say you are pretty close to professional with those pics. As a log home dweller, I can really appreciate the inside of your house. Nice Work!

Stefan

Brad Schmid
07-01-2004, 8:25 PM
Nice job on both the house and the computer desk Jerry. Looks great! Beautiful location too.

BTW - I'd recommend a lathe to thin out those woods in the back yard :D There's gold in them thar hills!

Cheers,
Brad

Mark Singer
07-01-2004, 8:37 PM
Jerry,
Welcome and hopefully we are all works in progress....when the progress stops your in trouble.

Chris Padilla
07-01-2004, 8:41 PM
Jerry,

Looks like fine workmanship to me...look forward to more!

Jim Becker
07-01-2004, 9:27 PM
Outstanding looking work! 'Looking forward to seeing more.

Waymon Campbell
07-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Jerry - Welcome to the 'creek. You're already one up on a lot of new folks 'cause you introduced yourself AND posted pictures at the same time! In case you haven't heard, we like pictures, lots and lots of pictures. You do fine work...

Terry Hatfield
07-02-2004, 12:03 AM
Jerry,

Welcome!!!!!!! Supe nice looking work. I really like the computer setup. I'm contemplating something similar for my office as this year's winter project...but first I have to finish last year's winter project. :D

Jump in anywhere. It's a great forum with great folks.

Terry

Tyler Howell
07-02-2004, 12:12 AM
Retired at 51 oh wow don't I wish.
Welcome Jerry, This is a good place. Just ask any of us we we'll tell you how wonderful we are.;)
Nice stuff!

David Klink
07-02-2004, 1:24 AM
Hi from N. Indiana, Jerry. Looks like some beautiful work you've been doing.

My brother retired at 52 last year, and he's already painted the entire house and landscaped the yard into the ground, but nothing that grandiose.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-02-2004, 3:10 AM
Welcome Jerry! From beginners to pros they are all here! A friendly bunch never afraid to express their opinions! Jump in......get wet! Take some info...leave some as you deem necessary! By the way.....great work! Again, Welcome!

Terry Quiram
07-02-2004, 7:10 AM
Hello from central Illinois. Welcome to SMC.

Terry

Kelly C. Hanna
07-02-2004, 8:38 AM
Love that cabin! Someday I hope to be a log home dweller. I love wood interiors and despise sheetrock.

Nice computer center too!

Bob Hovde
07-02-2004, 8:48 AM
Nothing wrong with Minwax and Poly for a computer desk - it can take a beating. However, your computer desk has the details usually saved for a dining room hutch. Are you sure you haven't done this before?

Bob

Jason Tuinstra
07-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Great job all the way around, Jerry. The pine looks really nice on the inside of the cabin. Thanks for sharing!

Mark J Bachler
01-01-2005, 7:42 PM
Welcome Jerry. I would say you are pretty close to professional with those pics. As a log home dweller, I can really appreciate the inside of your house. Nice Work!

Stefan

I built my house of sticks also. Cut down the trees myself & everything. Been living in it 26 years now.