PDA

View Full Version : How to calculate rough bdft from tree logs

Ron Bontz
02-01-2009, 10:43 PM
A co worker of mine had a home built in the middle of his acreage. He had to push down about 15 oak trees and would like to have them milled or sell them. How do you figure the approx. amount of BF we can get out of each tree. I am familiar with calculating cubic feet etc. but unfamiliar with this side of the lumber buisness. Thanks:)

Bill Keehn
02-01-2009, 10:58 PM
1 cubic foot = 12 board feet or 1 board foot = 144 cubic inches.

I don't know if there is a rule of thumb for estimating this, but I'd like to know too. I'm guessing it's more like a gut feel.

If you already have the tree cut up into fairly straight logs, you can calculate cubic feet as Pi * r^2 * length.

Richard M. Wolfe
02-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Go to the Woodweb website and in the left hand column go to the Lumber and timber Calculators link. For figuring what you want use the Log Volume calculator. There are three formulas; any of them should get you in the ballpark. Be aware the calculator is for absolutly straight logs and it doesn't take much of a 'bend' to cause a lot of loss in sawing.

Ron Bontz
02-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.:)

Daren K Nelson
02-02-2009, 8:22 AM
You already got an answer Ron, but maybe this attached chart I made will help you or others in the future. I just swiped it off my website. I keep several printed off and handy in the truck/by the phone/in the shed. One tip if you are looking at larger logs than on the chart go to a log 1/2 the diameter and take that volume times 4.6 (it'll be pretty darn close). Example: a 30" log has 4.6 the volume of a 15" long for all practical purposes. It's an exponential equation a log 2X the size has almost 5X the potential lumber. Here is another calculator http://www.timberbuyer.net/sawlogbf.htm

Kyle Kraft
02-02-2009, 8:57 AM
Do a search for the Doyle Log Scale. I found and printed one out several years ago, so it's probably still around.

Joe Chritz
02-02-2009, 9:28 AM
If they have been down any time at all they may be no good anymore. Oak, especially white oak deteriorates fast from insect damage.

Apparently this isn't as much of a problem in the winter months but if they are going to be sawn it would be wise to get on it fast.

Joe

Daren K Nelson
02-02-2009, 9:39 AM
If they have been down any time at all they may be no good anymore. Oak, especially white oak deteriorates fast from insect damage.

:confused::confused:

Had I known that I never would have milled this white oak log that laid in the mud for 3 years :rolleyes:.Sure the sapwood was soft...but the heartwood milled out very pretty :).

Joe Chritz
02-02-2009, 9:49 AM
One case does not a rule make. ;)

It is very likely the mud acted similar to pond storage for logs.

Let them sit as long as you like but at some point the loss through deterioration is more than paying to have them done now, especially in warm weather without any protection. This depends greatly on the quality of the lumber. If the logs are long, straight and fat walnut I would have a mill there yesterday and sell off enough to pay the bill. Same for white oak that would be quartered.

Joe

Daren K Nelson
02-02-2009, 10:01 AM
I agree the best thing for a log once it is down is to get it milled asap (unless you are going for spalting, but that is another subject). I was just chiming in to say don't jump to any conclusions and write off a log that had lain...especially in the winter, they suffer no degrade this time of year. I was being coy in my last response, I run a sawmill.

Joe Chritz
02-02-2009, 1:19 PM
Indeed. Winter will allow a log to sit for a long time when you have weather like I do here and I assume you are having in IL.

To do a shameless hijack, have you have any luck with white oak that is dead standing? I have a decent sized one that must be 18-20 foot to the first visible branch. It had a little life last year I think but is almost fully dead.

Originally it was going to be firewood but I am thinking about having a portable band mill come over and slab it out 1/4 sawn. I figure I am only out the minimum charge whatever that is if it is bad once we get into it.

Joe

Daren K Nelson
02-02-2009, 1:35 PM
Mill that puppy Joe ;). It's always a crapshoot on a standing tree to tell what you have...but if you are going to fell it anyway you will know pretty quick. White oak is very decay resistant (they make bridge pilings, liquid holding drums) and would be way down on the list of species I would worry about being "bad". Standing dead will not hurt it, I have milled them that have been like that for 3-4 years--just fine. The only thing to wonder about is what killed it, that may effect the lumber quality. But if you get it cut into log lengths and it looks good it would be a shame to make firewood from it.

A year of standing dead you should not have anything to worry about except maybe bugs, and I would bet they made it no further than the sapwood ,if they found it at all, which is going to milled off anyway. Here is one that stood a little too long (or just long enough :D) This one stood dead for 7-8 years, spalted up right nicely for white oak.

Kevin Godshall
02-02-2009, 3:50 PM
Mill that puppy Joe ;). It's always a crapshoot on a standing tree to tell what you have...but if you are going to fell it anyway you will know pretty quick. White oak is very decay resistant (they make bridge pilings, liquid holding drums) and would be way down on the list of species I would worry about being "bad". Standing dead will not hurt it, I have milled them that have been like that for 3-4 years--just fine. The only thing to wonder about is what killed it, that may effect the lumber quality. But if you get it cut into log lengths and it looks good it would be a shame to make firewood from it.

A year of standing dead you should not have anything to worry about except maybe bugs, and I would bet they made it no further than the sapwood ,if they found it at all, which is going to milled off anyway. Here is one that stood a little too long (or just long enough :D) This one stood dead for 7-8 years, spalted up right nicely for white oak.

This is terrible looking wood. I think you should bring it to me immediately and I will dispose of it properly.

(Waiting with baited breath.......)

Bill Keehn
02-02-2009, 4:03 PM
Thats some fine lookin wood Darin.

Jacob Griffith
02-02-2009, 10:50 PM
The lovely Biltmore Stick and Merritt Hypsometer! Standards in any FFA Forestry Contest!