PDA

View Full Version : Hazelnut?

Porter Bassett
02-01-2009, 10:39 PM
I've got an opportunity to get a bunch of hazelnut from an orchard. What is this wood like, and what is it good for?

Jamie Buxton
02-01-2009, 10:46 PM
The ones I've seen pictures of are basically large shrubs -- maybe 10' tall. They don't look like they'd have any real lumber in them.

scott schmidt grasshopper
02-01-2009, 11:05 PM
hi scott from oregon. yes I turn hazelnut, if the trees are in orchards they might be kept as trees instead of scrubs, a single stalk , I got them about 12 inches in diameter and 4 to 6 ft long, trees tend to be hollow.
wood, fairly white in color with madulary(sp?) rays like oak many times burls can be found . lots of movement when drying very light wood, takes a good polish . drying before turning will make crack issues, I have never rough turned it then finish turned sooo, good luck

Leo Van Der Loo
02-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Never turned it, but there are several different kinds, I know we had Turkish hazel nuts in Holland that grew like small trees, and had clusters of hazelnuts, unlike the native ones that grow like shrubs and had most hazelnuts as single or doubles, with the odd times three or four.
That native wood was tough wood but like I said I never turned any, I'd try if I had any big enough to turn.