PDA

View Full Version : Checking out a new Grizzly 8" jointer

george wilson
02-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Just before I retired,I bought the Toolmaker's shop a new Grizzly 8" jointer. Can't recall offhand the model,but it was the cheapest 8" they offer.When it arrived,we set it up. I brought a scraped Brown and Sharp precision straightedge from home. It is 40" long X 2" wide,accurate to a few ten thousanths.I was highly relieved to see that the tables of the jointer were dead parallel with the cutter head,and not more than .001" out of straight. Cuts like a dream. I will also add that I was delighted to find that the bearing housings on either side of the cutter head are round,and held down by a screw coming up from below. Easily reached. It would be very easy to loosen one,and add shim stock should the cutter head have proven not parallel.

The Millwork shop,against my advice,ordered a new Asian made Powermatic 8" jointer whose tables turned out to be something like 1/8" out of parallel with each other! And it cost SEVERAL TIMES the cost of the Grizzly. I had seen a jointer test Fine Woodworking magazine had done months before. The Grizzly was very highly rated.

This does not mean that I endorse all Grizzly machines.Only the ones I have personal experience with. It is always a bit of a grab bag when buying Chinese machines. I feel that I have been rather lucky,so far. My Bridgewood jointer is also excellent,but Wilke has apparently stopped selling machines.

I also use the Disposablade jointer and planer knives. It costs a bit to get the knife holders,but after that,the knives are actually cheaper than buying regular knives,and a snap to install. The knives are about $33.00 per set,and are double edged. The cost per edge is less than buying regular knives,and having them get too narrow after a few expensive regrinds. I will never go bach to regular knives. Installation takes about 15 minutes for all knives,so you don't end up putting off changing knives. Knife grinding attachments take a lot of time to install and use,also.

Neal Clayton
02-01-2009, 10:17 PM
i also own grizz's cheapest 8" jointer, only difference is i opted for the spiral head.

i don't have anything against powermatic, in fact i own a PM66 and wouldn't have any other saw.

but, i just can't justify their prices on a jointer. after all a jointer is not a complicated machine, nor do most people, myself included, ever adjust it after initial setup. it simply needs to be flat and square, and stay that way.

and the grizz does that, so i'm more than satisfied.

george wilson
02-01-2009, 10:27 PM
The Powermatic costs a lot,and is still Asian.