PDA

View Full Version : hollowing system

David Christopher
02-01-2009, 10:04 PM
does anyone have one of the jamieson hollowing systems. if so do you like are they a better one any info will be apreicatied

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=tools-

Ken Fitzgerald
02-01-2009, 10:13 PM
David,

If you are talking about the Jamieson captured hollowing system. I bought one and it works well as advertised. I used it on my Jet Mini and bought a taller secondary tool rest and am now using it on my PM3520B. I have been happy with it.

This is the one I bought: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Hollowing_Tools___Jamieson_Hollowi ng_Tools?Args=

David Christopher
02-01-2009, 10:19 PM
thanks Ken, didnt want to buy another tool to lay on the bench and gather dust

Ken Fitzgerald
02-01-2009, 10:52 PM
David,

Another note, it uses IIRC 3/16' square tool steel bits. You can buy them from local and national suppliers and they are relatively cheap....just few dollars.

alex carey
02-02-2009, 12:57 AM
how deep can it go?

Steve Trauthwein
02-02-2009, 8:02 AM
Dave,

I have the Jamieson captured hollowing system also and I love it. I also have other hollowing tools that I will use from time to time and then go back to the Jamieson tool and wonder why I didn't set it up in the first place.

The huge advantages to me are knowing precisely where you are cutting inside the piece and not having to bend over to view the cutting process. There is a little bit of a learning curve. I would suggest that you purchase the video with the tool to get a good sense of its use. I was lucky as I had Lyle at my shop doing hands on, one on one, for two days. I learned more in those two days then I had in the last two years.

Alex,

I just measured the 1" bar, it is 24" long. I believe the maximum depth that could be reached is somewhere in the neighborhood of 30". I have not gone near this deep, so I can not attest to the kind of vibration one would encounter.

Regards, Steve

Burt Alcantara
02-02-2009, 10:26 AM
As Steve suggests, buy the video or rent it from SmartFlix.com Whatever tool you end up with, this video will get you going on any system.

Burt

David Christopher
02-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Dave,

I have the Jamieson captured hollowing system also and I love it. I also have other hollowing tools that I will use from time to time and then go back to the Jamieson tool and wonder why I didn't set it up in the first place.

The huge advantages to me are knowing precisely where you are cutting inside the piece and not having to bend over to view the cutting process. There is a little bit of a learning curve. I would suggest that you purchase the video with the tool to get a good sense of its use. I was lucky as I had Lyle at my shop doing hands on, one on one, for two days. I learned more in those two days then I had in the last two years.

Alex,

I just measured the 1" bar, it is 24" long. I believe the maximum depth that could be reached is somewhere in the neighborhood of 30". I have not gone near this deep, so I can not attest to the kind of vibration one would encounter.

Regards, Steve

Thanks Steve, it comes with a video when you buy from packard

David Christopher
02-02-2009, 10:58 AM
[quote=Steve Trauthwein;1038992]Dave,

Thanks Steve, when bought from packard it comes with a video