PDA

View Full Version : Need a quick opinion --X31, LT16

Ed Calkins
02-01-2009, 9:11 PM
I just went to see a Robland X31 and a Laguna LT16 (Meber P400?) that went in Craigslist yesterday (death sale). Both machines are 1996 I think and were purchased from Laguna -- manuals etc. are included (although not too good). The wife only knows a little about it -- they paid about $8K for both she thinks. They do not look like they had a lot of use. I ran the motors and they were smooth. Most parts are in a big pile -- lots of little pieces also -- maybe all there, maybe not. The bandsaw has a few extra blades of varying widths --Italian (CEQ 1.5 or 1.8hp) -- all motors single phase 220. Surface rust on tables from sitting around garage for many years. The X31 would be a hobby in itself for me to clean, figure out to assemble, adjust etc. but might be fun?? I am about to order a MM16 and a Griz 0490X so this would be a sharp turn in another direction. I have these units reserved until tomorrow am for $2500. for both ---- any comments would really be appreciated, I know there is lots of info available on the net and have started to access it. In todays market these two machines new are 9K to 10K but they aren't new --- and will take a lot of work. I am trying to decide if I should roll the dice and try them. I was not planning on getting a shaper or a mortiser so they might be things I would not use but being I don't know where I will be going in this hobby that is difficult to say?? I just set up my shop, wired it, and am ready to get something.:confused:

Craig McCormick
02-01-2009, 9:36 PM
Ed,

First off that is a good buy for both. I paid $3000 for my used X31 about a year ago. I like the table saw, jointer/planer and just used the shaper for the first time and it worked well also. I love the sliding table for the table saw. The change over from one tool to the next is very reasonable. The X-31 is meant to be used with a dust collector. I have a small shop 13X23. So the combo works well for me. The 3hp motors give me plenty of power.

Good luck

Craig McCormick

Steve Rozmiarek
02-01-2009, 9:47 PM
Yep, thats a great deal!

Mike Wilkins
02-02-2009, 9:52 AM
You better jump on this deal before someone else does. Check the Laguna site for prices of new equipment and you get the idea. These are solid machines and will last a lifetime. Laguna can provide more info if needed in the future.

Craig McCormick
02-03-2009, 8:21 AM
Ed,

Did you buy it?

Craig

Ed Calkins
02-03-2009, 3:44 PM
Thanks guys for the comments/info. After a lot of thought I decided to not purchase this equipment and to continue with my original plan to get new or newer equipment. I am 67 years old and want to spend this extra time (hard to come by even now) on woodworking and not challenging equipment restoration. Although I was very tempted as the X31 looks like it would be a fun project in itself. The LT16 (made in Italy by Meber then, good saw, better than Laguna's current LT16) bandsaw and the X31 (along with a few other things) are in northern Calif (Colusa about an hour north of Sacramento) in case anyone else is interested. As I think I mentioned both were sold by Laguna and support is available from them.
I have ordered a MM16 bandsaw, and an Onieda 3000 cyclone dust collector which I will mount outside my shop (no filter) so I have launched the woodshop effort but am still some time away from making serious sawdust. Next decision is what to do re. the jointer -- the X31 would have solved that :) . Ed

Ed