PDA

View Full Version : MS Outlook & Spam

Todd Burch
07-01-2004, 5:48 PM
When using my WIN 98 machine (home PC) with Outlook Express, I can right click on a suspect email, click on properties, and browse the message source without actually opening an email, thus determining if the content is spam or a potential virus when it has an attachment. Works great.

On my newer laptop, I've just started using email XP PRO w/Outlook, not Outlook Express, and this "path" is no longer available to check suspect content.

Is there a way to look at suspect emails without opening them as I can in O. Express?

Thanks, Todd

Jim Becker
07-01-2004, 6:37 PM
Outlook Express and Outlook are very different programs, despite sharing part of a name!

Which version of Outlook? 2003 is different than previous versions, such as 2002 and 2000. 2003 has more features, etc., to deal with unwanted email and some privacy things, such as web bugs.

Frankly, I stop them before they get to my machine by using MailWasher Pro. Viruses are taken care of by McAfee and ZoneAlarm Pro before they get into Outlook, too.

Todd Burch
07-01-2004, 6:48 PM
Outlook 2002. Thanks

Jim Becker
07-01-2004, 6:53 PM
Outlook 2002.
Ach...the one I don't have. Someone else is going to have to chime in!

Ken Garlock
07-01-2004, 9:22 PM
Hi Todd. I am running Outlook 2000. If I right click on a message in the in-box window, I get a listing of things to do. At the bottom is an option called "options", clicking on options will give you a window with the internet routing headers among other things. At least that is how it works on Outlook 2000.

Tim Morton
07-01-2004, 9:33 PM
On my mac i can right click on an email and "redirect", which allows me to view the message without actually opening it.

Tony Falotico
07-01-2004, 9:55 PM
I have a copy of Outlook 2003 (got in the Office pro package), but never used it. I still use Outlook Express cause I never had a reason to change. Is Outlook 2003 that much advanced that I should convert?? We use Lotus Notes at the office, it is basically similar to Outlook Express (does the same thing) , but does it much differently.

What say ye, my friends.

Don Abele
07-01-2004, 9:59 PM
Todd, I don't use 2002 either - it's also the only version I don't have. But I did a quick look 'round and found this shortcut. Highlight the message and then hit ALT + ENTER. That should open the properties for it.

HTH

Jim Becker
07-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Tony, I recently upgraded to Outlook 2003 and like it. (My work machine is being replaced in a couple weeks...finally!...and it will also have the 2003 version on it) I wouldn't say that it's a huge difference, but it's a bit better at recognizing junk email as well as blocking undesirable graphics if you are not filtering externally. But honestly, if Outlook Express is doing what you want and you're comfortable with it...not a lot of incentive to change just for the sake of change. Some virus and firewall applications integrate better with Outlook than they do with Outlook Express, however. Check what you use to see if there are any incentives there.

John Miliunas
07-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Todd, I'm running Outlook 2002 on this box and, if you highlight the message, right-click and go down to "Options", you'll be able to see the entire "Header Information" dialogue. :cool:

Todd Burch
07-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Thanks John - I knew about that. Headers are a start, but looking at the actual text of the message without actaully "opening" it is my final test. I've seen header information "dummied up" too often.

Don, that does pull up the properties, but there is no option for viewing the source in text mode.

Hummm....