PDA

View Full Version : Toys for your Table Saw

Tony Bilello
02-01-2009, 7:45 PM
Woodworking, like any other hobby requires that your toys have toys.
I thought about this as Dave gets ready to set up his new Table Saw.
The first thing your Table Saw needs are a few good push sticks. Then comes the Zero Clearance Inserts. I posted this on another website and am not sure if I posted it on herea also, so here it is anyway.

I make mine out of 1/2" MDF and put a piece of formica on it.
It fits my Delta perfect that way.

Just trace out your existing insert and cut a new one.
I used the table saw to cut the piece to width.

When I didnt have a bandsaw, I used my hand held scroll saw to cut the round ends and finished them with a hand held angle grinder. It fit really well.
Just lower the blade all of the way, put in insert, move fence over insert to help hold it down making sure that the blade wont come up through the fence. Then turn on saw and use a scrap to put some downward force on the insert and slowly crank the blade up through the insert.

To make additional inserts, I cut a bunch of pieces of 1/2" MDF to width.
I then screwed my first homemade insert to my work bench.
Then screwed a blank on top of my first insert and used a router with a flush trimmer bit to duplicate the first one.
I made several of them.
One for each stacked dado size and one for the zero clearance and a few extra's laying around. They will come in handy If I butcher up one of the good ones.

I always use the zero clearance insert on my table saw. It eliminates jams, reduces kickbacks and allows me to cut fine slices of veneer off the side of solid stock. This veneer would otherwise be sucked down under the table. Oh, and BTW, you might need to cut some veneer to glue under the insert to get the right height.
I never use the original factory insert...NEVER.

Jim Becker
02-01-2009, 8:45 PM
Tony, when I had my Jet cabinet saw, I also made my ZCIs out of 1/2" MDF. Cheap. Effective.

Tony Bilello
02-01-2009, 8:53 PM
I make them out of 1/2" MDF or 1/2" Baltic Birch, whichever I have handy. I put the formica on top because it gives me the perfect height with my Delta Contractors Saw. They take so little effort to make, it's hard for me to fathom buying them. I usually make 5 to 10 at a time and generally give them away as soon as someone comes to my shop and admires them. I really feel that they add a certain amount of safety. I have one for every Stacked Dado set-up I use.