PDA

View Full Version : Cherry stump - any interest?

John Keeton
02-01-2009, 7:23 PM
I don't turn, but have a question for you guys. Due to the recent ice storms we had a wild cherry tree uproot. The tree forks close to the ground, and at the ground is probably 18" in diameter. It isn't large enough for lumber. While cutting it up for firewood it occurred to me that the stump may have some interest to turners as I would imagine it has some burl and figure in it.

Is this something worth considering? I really don't want to make money on it, and it certainly is too large to ship. But, I would be more than happy to see someone get some use from it. Let me know your thoughts.

Gary Max
02-01-2009, 7:28 PM
Where in Central Ky are you located---we are just outside Campbellsville.

curtis rosche
02-01-2009, 7:56 PM
sounds like it is wood so it must be good for turning! yep of course its good for turning.

John Keeton
02-01-2009, 8:27 PM
Gary, PM sent on address.

Jim Becker
02-01-2009, 8:42 PM
Stump wood can indeed have some amazing and knarly figure "just because"...

Barry Elder
02-01-2009, 8:57 PM
Stump and crotch pieces are usually worth more than you think!

Art Kelly
02-01-2009, 8:57 PM
Here's an example of root wood. It's a 7" bud vase turned from a hickory tree that blew down in Dahlonega, Georgia.

Hard to imagine that a nice symmetrical tree can have such chaos under the ground. Watch for rocks:eek:.

John Keeton
02-01-2009, 9:24 PM
It was too far a trip for Gary, but you guys have me curious about what is there. Barry, this piece should have both crotch and stump burl as the trunk branches off less than 24" above ground level. I would think the crotch grain would go nearly to ground level. Might make a nice mix of grain.

I think when the ground dries a bit, or freezes, I will drag this thing up the hill and clean it up. Maybe trim it up a little with the chainsaw (watching for those rocks, Art!) and see what is there. If I can get a pic that shows anything I will post it. But, for now, it will need to stay put. It is a mess around here from the rain, ice storm, and snow!

Jeff Nicol
02-01-2009, 10:39 PM
18" not good enough for lumber!!!! I have a woodmizer mill and I will saw it up if it is 8" across!! It is great wood for turning and the stump has super grain in it!! I just put one on the lathe tonight and it is going to be spectacular!

To bad you made firewood, the crotch wood is a treat to have and turn too.

Jeff

John Keeton
02-02-2009, 7:00 AM
Jeff, the trunk forked just above ground. Each of the "halves" was only about 12" in diameter with only 7-8" of heartwood. By the time one avoids the pith, there just was not enough left to fool with.

I am hoping the stump has some nice wood in it for someone - the only way I could turn it would be to chuck it up in a drillpress :eek:

Jeff Nicol
02-02-2009, 9:22 AM
John, I think that 80% of my turnings are smaller than that. I just love wood so much it is an addiction! It all started when my Dad and I got the Woodmizer back in 1985, it is so incredible what you see while sawing lumber. So don't worry what happens to the wood there will be tons more each day.

I turn lots of small boxes, ornament, honey dippers and screwdriver handles and game calls. So that is why I said it is full of good wood, lots of 2"x2" blanks in it.

I get to exited!!

Have a great day!

Jeff

John Keeton
02-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Jeff, it is just hard for me to think round! Since I don't turn, I look at a log in terms of lumber. This stump may produce some nice wood for someone - we will just have to see what it looks like when I can get to it.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2009, 10:45 AM
John...you know you want to turn! Stare into the Vortex John. Relax! It's painless John! Relax!.....Stare into the Vortex. It won't hurt a bit John. Join the universe John!.....The earth is round....Think ROUND John! Relax. Don't fight the urge John! You'll enjoy it John. :rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Bullets from muzzleloaders are ROUND John.....Relax....:p

Richard Madison
02-02-2009, 11:44 AM
John,
It is very thoughtful of you to post this, and as self-appointed spokesman I thank you on behalf all turners. Much good turning wood is needlessly destroyed simply because folks do not know that we turners are out here and would like to have their logs. Thanks again.

Gary Herrmann
02-02-2009, 1:02 PM
C'mon John, you can be a neander and a turner. Maybe find a nice pole lathe...