PDA

View Full Version : Expo's closing means good deals for us

Dan Hintz
02-01-2009, 7:15 PM
For those (in the states) unaware, Home Depot has taken a real beating this past year, leading them to close a number of their stores. Expo, their "design showcase" stores, was always way overpriced, and now it's showing... their closing every one of them. They do not stock much in the way of actual materials (they sell design help, not supplies), but they will have an odd selection of crates or individual boxes for prior jobs or returns.

I meant to go last week and see what they had, but never seemed to get around to it. While out and about today, a guy was on the corner with a 10-30% off sign, so I dropped by. The store was already looking a bit thin as the vendors take back their displays (the store does NOT own the displays, so don't ask for the tile sample packs, you won't get anywhere). I was informed all of their in-stock black marble and granite was gone several days ago :mad:, but I did pick up their last five packs of white slate coasters. At a reduced price of $3.60/pack, I got 45 coasters at $0.40/each. I think I'll engrave deep and colorfill, use them as pass-out advertisements for larger clients.

Bill Cunningham
02-01-2009, 8:47 PM
Home Depot is not closing stores in Canada! There are no 'expo' stores here that I know of.. We have a H.D. almost across the street from Rona's (is Ronas in the U.S. or is it just a Canadian Big Box?) and on Jan. 26th they had a grand opening for a brand new Lowes, just a mile away from the Ronas, and Home Depot..

Thad Nickoley
02-01-2009, 8:58 PM
Bill, i have noy heard of 'Ronas' here in California. The Expo stores never did very well and in this economy it was bound to hurt the Expo locations.

Bill Cunningham
02-01-2009, 9:04 PM
Ya! I have a feeling the Ronas are only a Canadian Big Box Store.. But, like Tim Hortons, (Our Major doughnut shop, and police hangout) they may end up creeping into the U.S.

Mike Null
02-02-2009, 7:21 AM
Actually Tim Horton's was purchased several years ago by Wendy's then about three years back they were spun off as a separate company. Anyway there are a fair number of them in certain parts of the US. Good coffee and donuts.

Bill Cunningham
02-03-2009, 7:40 PM
Actually Tim Horton's was purchased several years ago by Wendy's then about three years back they were spun off as a separate company. Anyway there are a fair number of them in certain parts of the US. Good coffee and donuts.

Ya!! their a Canadian Icon, and have been for a generation.. Not a Canadian anywhere that does not know what a Large Double Double is..ha..