PDA

View Full Version : Best dust protection on a budget?

Scott Conners
02-01-2009, 6:25 PM
I've been using the basic fiber dust masks with vents for dust protection, but looking into it I've realized that they may not be quite enough protection from the smaller particles, and I've decided that I need to invest in something more effective. Unfortunately, the pressurized systems like the Trend and Triton are out of my budget. I use an inexpensive face shield, and need something I can wear under it. I'll probably be upgrading to the Uvex Bionic (http://www.restockit.com/Uvex-Bionic-Face-Shield-%28UVXS8500%29.html?source=froogle&Bvar5=100F1&Bvar6=100F1&Bvar7=100F1) when mine gets too scratched. I do wear a goatee on my chin, so that's something to consider.

Options I know about right now:
Dust-Bee-Gone (http://www.dustbeegone.com/) - Not good below 3 microns, probably not a good choice
Totobobo (http://totobobo.com/blog/?page_id=85) - Looks promising, I can't find any technical data on it though
3M 6000 series (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y9EKU8/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_b) - Probably the best choice, many cartridges available, I'm not sure how well it will work with my goatee and how well it will fit under a face shield. I'd love to hear about other's experience wearing this with a face shield.

I can probably swing something up to $80 or so if I need to, so let me know any suggestions you have!

Edit: Forgot to add, I'm working in a tiny shop, I try and use my shop vac for dust control when sanding on the lathe, but I don't have a DC or air cleaner, and I can't really fit one.

alex carey
02-01-2009, 6:33 PM
I am completely against the totobobo masks. I used to wear those and safety glasses. Problem is whenever I breathe my glasses fogged up. I hated this.

I don't have it but the Uvex Bionic looks to be the most appealing. Though it won't do anything for the small dust.

Alex

Richard Madison
02-01-2009, 6:44 PM
Scott,
One low tech (low budget) helper is a 20" box fan with A/C filter in front of it, supported directly behind the lathe spindle. Low speed for turning, high speed for sanding. Not much good for capturing the fine stuff, but at least it creates an air flow away from your breathing zone. Gives the dust a chance to settle on everything else in the shop. Filters best when partly clogged, but when too clogged there is no air flow. Easy to find a free fan, as people throw them away when the switch craters, and that's a simple fix. Left running for an hour or so after you leave the shop, it does a surprisingly good job of cleaning the air. I use a cheap filter for this and an expensive filter in front of my regular A/C/Heater filter to help keep the coil clean. Even so, I clean the coil regularly with a soft toothbrush with the shopvac hose held nearby.

Scott Conners
02-01-2009, 7:08 PM
Richard - good suggestion, but that would somewhat defeat my DC efforts with the shop vac. Also, by tiny shop I mean a room less than 6' wide, the breeze would just stir the dust and keep it in the air near me. I'm also trying to keep dust from migrating to the rest of the long narrow room where things other than woodworking take place. I might experiment with it, but I still need lung protection =)

Allen Neighbors
02-01-2009, 7:26 PM
Scott, how high is the ceiling? Is it high enough to put an air cleaner above your lathe?
If cost is a factor, I built my own... cheap. Email me. Remove the REMOVE in my email address.

Don Carter
02-01-2009, 8:30 PM
Scott:
I use the 3M mask with the hot pink filters. They are a real fashion statement.;) And, they work very well and are very light. I use two box fans with AC filters, one blowing at my back and another at the tailstock end of the lathe blowing away. It is not the best, but it works. When I am sanding I also use the hose of a large shop vac velcroed ? to the back of my lathe bed near the work. I run the fans in my shop all the time I am in the shop.
Until I can get a larger shop and some more cash...this is my DC.:rolleyes:

All the best.

Don

Scott Conners
02-01-2009, 8:32 PM
Unfortunately, it isn't really high enough to work overhead - the ceiling slopes from 7'9" on one side to about 6'3" on the other side. it's just high enough to have a light fixture overhead. It's also a somewhat temporary solution, I expect to be moving homes within a year or two to something with a more functional shop. Even if I had good DC in place I'd still feel a need to wear personal dust protection, so the question still stands.

Richard Madison
02-01-2009, 8:32 PM
Scott,
Good point. Assume you have "your" end of the room partitioned off, maybe with plastic curtain. I sometimes use a curtain behind me when roughing a log to keep the debris from going everywhere.

Barry Elder
02-01-2009, 9:00 PM
I use a 3M 6000 series half-mask and have absolutely no complaints other than the fact that 3M makes replacement elastic kits that I can't seem to find anywhere.

scott schmidt grasshopper
02-01-2009, 11:21 PM
I saw a build up for a box fan with the cheapy filter on the inlet but had a allergen filter on the outlet, this took alot more dust out of the air,

my answer for the dust, cut a hole in the wall and put the lathe in front of it (would work with a window too). then installed a 3 speed reversable fan ( window fan) when I am turning dusty wood I turn it on high and it sucks alot out, when sanding I put a vinyl curtain over the lathe. ( walmart 5 ft wide,)clear stuff from the sewing dept, lets the lights shine thru and directs the dust into the fan and outside, a plastic board goes from the lathebed to the edge of the fan for the bottom section during the heat of the summer i can reverse the fan and get cooling while turning . good luck

David Walser
02-01-2009, 11:43 PM
The Resp-O-Rator is a non-powered "super dust mask". It's similar to a snorkel you might use while swimming in the ocean, only it has a HEPA filter on the end of the snorkel's tube. The filters are positioned behind your back, where the air should be cleaner. I've not used the device myself, but it seems like a solid design. I don't have any affiliation with the company.

Here's a link: http://www.resp-o-rator.com/ror/

Scott Conners
02-02-2009, 12:25 AM
David, thank you, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. All of the suggestions for dc substitutes etc are nice, but this is a small rental place that I won't be in for long, so I can't go cutting the walls or anything like that, and DC systems just aren't able to provide the kind of protection a mask can. Keep the suggestions coming!

David Walser
02-02-2009, 8:38 AM
David, thank you, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. ...

Good. Glad I could help. If you do try the Resp-O-Rator, be sure to let us know how you like it.

Good luck!

Burt Alcantara
02-02-2009, 10:23 AM
I use the 3M half-face mask with 7000 series filters. These are particulate filters designed for industrial applications. Since I began using this mask I don't have clogged nose or the steady stream of mucus. Cheap too.

They also fit nicely under a face shield. The downside is wearing glasses with them. The glasses wont go down on your nose but you can still use them. I sometimes wear reading glasses when turning and I have to tilt my head down a bit.

I also have a vapor mask when using Waterlox and other stinky stuff. Not a bad thing to have around in the event of some kind of external environmental mishap.

Burt

bob edwards
02-02-2009, 11:59 AM
I use the TOTOBOBO dust mask and love it. I use it right out of the package and get a good fit without any trimming or customizing. For me the key to an air tight seal is proper "tight" fit. Not uncomfortable but snug. I also wear glasses and get no fogging because I get a good seal. If you would like stats on the TOTOBOBO mask look here http://totobobo.com/blog/?page_id=93

Before I found the TOTOBOBO I used the 3M with pink filters. I liked it a lot but I live in a very warm climate and this mask is very warm. It is also heavy compared to the TOTOBOBO. If you want to give this a try you can find the mask and filters here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y9EKU8/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_b

In my openion you have two very difficult problems to overcome. First you work in a small confined space. If you can't get rid of some of the dust from the space you are asking a lot from an inexpensive dust mask.
Second you have facial hair. I have no experence with this but it seems to me any sort of seal would be difficult.

To acheive the protection you want I think you need to look into one of the face shield, positive air flow type of dust control. I't not cheep but nieghter is treeting your lungs.

Scott Conners
02-02-2009, 1:05 PM
Bob, I saw that page on the totobobo site, but the only information it has about the filters is that there are five different types - there's no info about what size particles they filter or any osha/niosh ratings or anything. I'm leaning away from the dust-bee-gone because it doesn't filter below 3 microns, and there are reports on thier own site about drywall dust and the like seeping through. I was hoping to find even basic info about what size particles the totobobo will trap before spending money.

Obvoiusly, wearing anything is much better than nothing, and running the shopvac as a DC does help a lot with dust control. I've worn paper masks and the 3m system (at work) with facial hair and they worked fairly well, so I figure I can overcome that obstacle.

bob edwards
02-02-2009, 2:00 PM
Try this link: http://totobobo.com/blog/?p=18

Vince Welch
02-02-2009, 6:48 PM
Hi Scott,

I am with Bob on this one and it is based off of personal experience. I use this mask every time I put my saftey glasses on and I have no fogging period! I do not have facial hair but do live in the cold climate as I just incured the 2009 ice storm and turn every other day without issue. This mask is comfortable, lightweight and very user friendly. If you have any questions and would like to talk to me feel free to give me a call at 1-877-284-8969. Take care, Vince

Scott Conners
02-02-2009, 8:53 PM
Bob, the totobobo site is full of information copied from the CDC testing regulations and such, as well as lots of good information about how filters work. However, the only piece of information on the page you linked that actually pertains to the totobobo filter is "The TOTOBOBO filters is a type of electrostatic filters which contain electrostatically enhanced fibers. Such fibers actually attract the particles to the fibers, in addition to retaining them." The rest is just generic info about how filters are tested and how they work. I wish it were possible to find out how thier filters did in the tests they describe, but they don't say if they've actually had them tested, or what the results were if they have. I'm going to try emailing them directly and see if they will provide information, as it doesn't seem to be avaiable on the website.

Scott Conners
02-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Well, Francis from Totobobo was very quick to reply to my email with some great detail. It seems that when tested with particles of a 0.3 micron size, which is the most penetrating size particle (see Bob E's second link for more info), a single layer of filter tested at 94% efficiency. A dual layer brought that rating up to 99%. Here's a partial quote:

In general, the tests show that you can predict the fit-test result with the visual-seal check through the transparent Totobobo mask. The pass rate is higher than 3M masks used in the test, partly due to the fact that the users are more able to adjust the fit (based on the visual seal check) before the test. Totobobo does fit a wider range of face sizes but it would not be possible to claim that it fit everyone.

The standard filter is of 94% filtration efficiency, we put together 2 layer of filters to get 99% equivalent for the fit-test. The Portacount test protocol use the most penetrating particles of 0.3 micron.
For woodworking purpose, we recommend to use a single layer of the 94% filters. It is efficient and is easy to breath through. You will be able to judge the effect by checking the amount of dust trapped on the filters.Obviously the big plus to the Totobobo is the ability to check the fit visually, which is a big improvement over the paper masks I've been using. I'm still debating what to get, but the Totobobo certainly is in the running.

Kyle Iwamoto
02-03-2009, 6:29 PM
I use the 3M painter's half mask. I forget the number. Got it from HD. IMO you want to stop the organic vapors, that should also stop the spalting fungi. I use it with a full face shield, and regular bifocal safety glasses. I have no problems with fogging. When using the full shield, the shield rests on the filter, which I found to be pretty good, when a large chunk of bark flies off and hits you in the faceshield. The shield resting on the mask prevents the shield from hiting your nose. Or chin.

It really doesn't matter what mask you use. Main thing is the mask fits your face and doesn't leak. Any protection is better than no protection.

The good thing about an organic vapor mask, is the ability to get rid of most of the smaller particles. The side benefit to that is they have a safe method of letting you know they are starting to fail. When you start to smell the aroma from the woods you are turning, that means the organic side of the filters are failing. They fail before the particle side of the filters stop working. The bad thing about those filters, is you can't smell the wood you're turning. Sometimes that is a pleasure.