PDA

View Full Version : #5 stanley

Ron Petley
02-01-2009, 5:40 PM
This thread made reference to #5 Stanleys :
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=103126

I have one of each that was mentioned. I think I am just seeing the tip of the iceberg here, I am in blown away by how much you guys know about these planes.
I have just started to clean up this pair, you can see one is cleaner than the other. The tote was broken on one so I did not think there was any lost value in repairing it. The second one has a chip off the top but should be OK to use. It is very light wood and I am not sure I can match it. The one with only one pat. date has a broken frog, so I really only have one plane that will come to working order. :mad:.
I thought I would post these photos after reading the thread mentioning them. As a nubie this forum is great. Cheers Ron.

Jim Koepke
02-01-2009, 11:32 PM
I wouldn't worry a lot about matching the handle if you repair it.

A replacement frog should be easy to find on eBay. Completed listings show some have gone for about $3 +shipping.

Just make sure it is the same as the one you have in the picture and you should be OK.

I would stay away from the lots of frogs, unless you want to become the parts guy or have a plague.

jim

Mike Henderson
02-02-2009, 12:22 AM
The body with the three patent dates is probably a type 11. That's a good version of the Stanley planes. But even if you fix it up perfect, it won't bring a lot of money - #5 planes are pretty common, even type 11's. It'll make a good user.

Note that the type 11 has a low knob and the other plane has a high knob. some people like the low knobs (I'm one) and others like the high knob. You're going to have your choice!

Mike

Ron Petley
02-02-2009, 2:14 PM
Thanks for the info, I will watch e bay, yes I have noticed sets of frogs and dust. I bought them with the idea of using them so they are fixer up ers. Not having used them I am not sure which knob is to my liking. I am shooting to get something in working order by the time the snow goes.
Cheers Ron.