PDA

View Full Version : Type of steel?

Bill Mitchel
02-01-2009, 5:16 PM
I wanted to make a couple of homemade boring bars but I'm confused on which type of steel to use. I just want to have on with a straight cutter and one with a 45 to start. Is this the correct steel? http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRAR2 I would like to start making some of my own tools but just need a "push" in the right direction. I've read quite a few threads but I'm still not sure what I can drill into and whats to hard:confused:

Thanks!
Bill

Art Kelly
02-01-2009, 5:46 PM
The Enco link didn't work, probably because it was a "form" that you had filled in.

If you're talking about something like in the photo below, the tool bit is 1/4" O-1 drill rod (Enco 408-0013) and the tool holder is BORG 1/2" mild steel, probably A-36.

HTH.

Art

Scott Conners
02-01-2009, 6:02 PM
If you're putting a cutting bit in the tip, basic mild steel from the hardware store is the proper choice for the shaft, it works easily and is plenty strong. If you intend to grind the shaft itself into a cutting tip, you'll want to use O-1 tool steel or similar, and create the tool then heat treat it, which is a bit more involved.

Dahl Troy Perry
02-01-2009, 6:02 PM
Bill if you are just useing the steel to hold the cutter that will be held on with a screw or set screw you can use mild steel or 0-1 tool steel you can get mild steel at Lowes, menards or some hardware stores they will drill and tap very easy. If you are going to use the steel as a cutter and not screw a HSS steel insert or carbide insert on it you will need to use a steel that will heat treat . I have made many tools and mild steel works fine to put a insert on the end you can buy inserts at most wood working stores I've made them for the Hunter insert scrapers the steel that Lowes,Menards sells is mild steel or called cold roll steel . if you have any questions ask I can walk you thru making making them these are some that I've made.

Bill Mitchel
02-01-2009, 6:18 PM
Thanks guys, thats exactly what I needed. For the first ones I'll be putting a hhs tip on the end. Off to the Borg
Dahl - nice job on the tools, i'll be thrilled if mine look half as good as yours!

Bill

Allen Neighbors
02-01-2009, 7:52 PM
Bill, Dahl, Scott and Art are right on the money with what they've said.
Here's a Website that a woodturner has that also teaches how to make tools. I've made a dozen or more, just from modifying some of his. His name is Darrell Feltmate. http://www.aroundthewoods.com