PDA

View Full Version : The bowl that didn't blow up.

Marc Himes
02-01-2009, 5:05 PM
A while ago one of our member posted a about a bowl that blew up on him injuring his chest. Thankfully he recoverd. At that time, I was working on a bowl from an oak burl that was one of several given to me by my son. Previously while turning a large bowl from one of these burls, the bowl suddenly enlarged while I was turning it. I stopped turning immediately and found that the bowl was coming apart along some seams in the wood. Too bad, it would have bee a nice bowl. It now sits unfinished outside in the garden.
This bowl didn't start to separate but I noticed several seams in it too, so I left it thick. It is not a delicate piece but it held together and has its own character. The previous thread and my prior experience made me a little more cautious. So I'm OK and I think the bowl turned out OK too.
108704 108705108706

Marc Himes

Steve Schlumpf
02-01-2009, 5:48 PM
Very interesting bowl Marc! Lots of character! Judging by all the inclusions - I can see why you would want to leave it a little on the thick side! Nice work!

alex carey
02-01-2009, 5:51 PM
love the bowl. btw that member was me. Good to know you are safer than I am :)

Marc Himes
02-01-2009, 6:13 PM
love the bowl. btw that member was me. Good to know you are safer than I am :)
Thanks Steve and Alex. Alex your post hit home with me and many other turners. Most of us have had bowls blow up or come out of the chuck. I know I have had my share. Thankfully serious injuries although they can occur are rare. I hope you are doing well.

Marc Himes

Richard Madison
02-01-2009, 6:53 PM
Wow, that's a beauty Marc! Have read that some folks wrap the outside with stretch wrap or fiber reinforced tape before turning the inside. Have never tried it myself. Just reporting what I read.

alex carey
02-01-2009, 6:56 PM
I have heard that to but never done it. It seems like it would work quite well. Love to hear if it has prevented any blowouts.

Allen Neighbors
02-01-2009, 7:44 PM
You just can't beat perfect!! Well done! All the way around!
I use blue painter's tape, then put duct tape over that, to keep suspicious bowls and other forms together.

Bernie Weishapl
02-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Great looking bowl out of some pretty wood.

Marc Himes
02-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the replies. Wrapping the outside of the bowl sounds like a very good idea.
Thanks again.

Marc Himes

Dewey Torres
02-02-2009, 1:51 AM
It would have blown up if I turned it:o. I tried Larry Marly's inside out ornament and it got dangerous so I just walked away. Great work... a newbie can really appreciate the fine work here!

robert hainstock
02-02-2009, 1:16 PM
I like the tape idea, but would have drowned it in CA too. :D:D
Bob