PDA

View Full Version : Meaningful tools

Herbert Wallace
02-01-2009, 4:52 PM
I thought it would be interesting in seeing other peoples pictures and history of tools that have a special meaning to you.
I have two. The jig saw was given to me by my mom and dad, circa 1955. I was 11 years old. It was my first woodworking tool. My dad delivered uniforms to a factory that made mobile homes,
Thanks for sharingin the days when the paneling was made with quality plywood. Somewhat like aircraft quality. He brought boxes of scrap to me. I made dozens of What-not shelves and cut outs. My love of wood working was born on that little saw.
The second is a Stanley 45 given to me by my old friend before he died last June. He was 96. He bought the plane new in 1935 for $18.00.
Thanks for sharing,
Herbert

Larry Edgerton
02-01-2009, 5:04 PM
I had a nice Stanley 1 5/8" block plane that they quit makin in the late 19th century that was given to me by the former town madam, it belonged to her father, the former mayor, and handyman. It had the best steel in the blade I have seen other than hand forged Japanese. I accidentally built it into a wall at one of my customers houses, and figured I will leave it there for some future generation to find.

My favorite now is a Stanley low angle jack that a friend gave me on "indefinite loan", whatever that means, and that is maybe tied with my first japanese hand forged chisel that has become an extension of my hand over the years.