View Full Version : JET bandsaw riser block

hank dekeyser
02-01-2009, 4:08 PM
Hey all, the time has come to either add a riser block to my Jet BS14OS (open stand) circa 2000- or sell it and get a Rinkon - I'd like the Rinkon very much BUT logic dictates just get the riser- I've had the Jet since new in 2000 w/ zero trouble. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the Grizzly or General block kit works on the JET ???? (they probly all come off the same factory in China anyway)
Reason I ask is local gougers want $115 for the jet , and the General or Grizzly is only $69.99 - (riser kit that is)

Time for the tool Gods to give me a sign - riser block, or new saw ???

Anybody have the answer ? OR any grizzly owners out there willing to tell me the diameter of the height guide. Mine is 7/8", I think newer ones are 3/4" ? I have the old style square blocks also (wouldnt mind a set of Carter rollers though)

Carlos Alden
02-01-2009, 4:41 PM
Hank:

You can get the Jet riser block kit via Amazon for $90:

http://www.amazon.com/Jet-708717-JRB-14-6-Inch-Riser/dp/B0000223N9

If you like your saw this might be the way to go. But if you're like me, and always looking for the least little excuse to upgrade/buy tools, then the Rikon can't be beat.

Carlos

hank dekeyser
02-01-2009, 5:38 PM
Thanks, I already have many places on-line that will sell for the $80-$90 range. I'd rather walk in the door plunk down 70 and change for the general kit and leave w/ it in hand. Worst case order the General or Grizz online and wait a few days (for less than $90) I'm a cheap skate - Good chance I'll just make one -

Doug Shepard
02-01-2009, 5:44 PM
This is one area where you dont want to just get in the ballpark. I used to have a 14" Jet BS and that riser wont go on if there's so much as a hint of excess powdercoat on the pins or mating holes.

Steve Mellott
02-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Last summer, I installed a Jet riser kit on my 14" closed stand Jet band saw. I paid about $75 for the riser kit on eBay. The kit installed easily, but I am not satisfied with the resaw performance of the saw. I have the clearance to cut thick pieces, but the motor is really strained when I cut the thicker pieces. (1 HP motor with a woodslicer blade.) If I had to do it over again, I would buy a larger bandsaw with a bigger motor.

Steve

lowell holmes
02-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Steve,
I have the Jet 1hp Bandsaw with the riser block installed. I use a BC saw 1/2" 3tpi skiptooth blade. I've never felt that the saw is underpowered. I've resawn white oak 8" and 9" thick.

Hank,
I personally would use the Jet riser block or buy a saw I wanted. It sounds like you really want a new saw and need a reason to buy one. :-)

The Jet w/riser block satisfies my needs, but it might not satisfy yours.

Happy shopping.

Joe Von Kaenel
02-02-2009, 4:26 PM
Hank,

The Jet kit looks exactly like th Grizzly kit. I just installed the Grizzly kit on my RIDGID band saw. The Ridgid part was $137.00 and the Grizzly was $70. The only issue is the block is green color and my saw is RIDGID orange. Pretty easy to install. The current JET 14" bandsaw looks exactly like the RIDGID or Grizzly saw.

Joe

hank dekeyser
02-02-2009, 7:04 PM
Thanks guys, I was a little concerned about the power also. Yes I would LOVE anew saw - but ??? I stopped this AM and picked up a Shop Fox riser kit (they had the jet too, so I compared them) It's almost exactly the same. Only diff is the SF has a hand crank for the height adjust and Jet doesn't - otherwise the pins and misc. parts where the same dimensions. I'm still debating putting it on or building one from solid alum stock -- THAT and waiting for something to surface on CL or fleabay.

Had I known the local guys had a riser kit for the SF, PM and Jet I would never posted this - BUT it's good to hear others opinion on it. Hmmmmmmm Woodcrafters still has the Rikon "on sale"

Thanks again