PDA

View Full Version : delta replacement parts

jim sauterer
02-01-2009, 4:04 PM
i recently purchased a delta shaper i was looking to buy the router bit spindle.every where i go on the net its 190.00 dollars.is there anyone who sells delta parts reasonable.thanks jim

Peter Quinn
02-01-2009, 9:02 PM
not that I am aware of, but if you find them let me know. Ever try to buy gear oil for a delta planer gear box? Basic 80 weight hypoid oil (though they won't tell you that even if you ask, they just keep calling it "Delta special gear oil". Costs about $3 at any auto parts store, winds up being $38 with shipping from delta for a quart of oil. Just ugly. I guess a machined piece of metal has more value than a quart of oil, but it seems the markup might be similar. i have avoided buying a router spindle for my shaper due to the cost. Cheaper to buy shaper cutters at that price.

Paul Atkins
02-01-2009, 9:44 PM
Maybe a machinist could make one for you. At 60-80 bucks an hour. hmmmm Does seem like alot, but I'll bet they are not made in China.

Bob Wingard
02-01-2009, 10:40 PM
I think you would be disappointed with it even if you could find one cheaply.

They don't spin a router bit fast enough to get a good, clean cut.

Invest the money in shaper cutters .. you'll be glad you did.

Neal Clayton
02-02-2009, 2:26 AM
200 bucks is nothing, they get 450 from the service center for a 1.5hp replacement motor for their 10" RAS.

not much of a bargain considering i can get a 3hp farm duty motor from grainger for the same price.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-02-2009, 9:08 AM
If you have a parts number, try www.mikestools.com (http://www.mikestools.com) I'd recommend this store, and the prices are pretty good. I used to use one, and they can do a fine job. I built a bunch of cabinet doors with a Bosch router bit set and a Delta shaper.

jim sauterer
02-02-2009, 4:27 PM
thanks everyone.a fellow creeker sent me one that he uses on his delta shaper very different taper on the spindle.i believe his shaper was from the 80s i have the 43-431x.his was a quality machined part.wish it would have worked.i plan to buy shaper cutters eventually.thanks again jim.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-02-2009, 9:53 PM
Jim, if you want a bargain on cutters, I've seen a pile of Leitz made Delta cutters sell for not much on ebay lately. Leitz makes good stuff, and for the pennies on the dollars that they are bringing, a deal for sure.

george wilson
02-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Don't EVER think about buying parts for an old,50's machine from Rockwell!!! Those are HISTORIC PARTS. A young guy I know bought an old Delta jigsaw. As usual,the diecast pot metal part that cammed the blade up and down was broken. They wanted $190.00 for that part !!! I let the guy use my milling machine. It was a fairly simple part. He made one from steel,infinitely better than the original. They wanted $400.00 for JUST the rectangular sheet metal fence for my 20" Delta bandsaw. That did not include any of the internal parts,or the casting that slides on the round rails,just the tube. Well,they were sold out. I found a used one. Thank God my saw is not missing any of the pot metal blade guides painted silver. I'd be busy making steel chips!!!

Steve Clardy
02-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Ballew Saw and Tools in Springfield carry's a off brand adapter.

Priced well below Delta parts.

I checked some time ago when I thought I was going to need one, and did not buy one.

1-800-288-7483

http://www.ballewsaw.com/default.htm

Tom Cross
02-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Try this guy. He specializes in replacement Delta parts.

http://www.plazamachinery.com/

Douglas Brummett
02-03-2009, 10:26 AM
i recently purchased a delta shaper i was looking to buy the router bit spindle.every where i go on the net its 190.00 dollars.is there anyone who sells delta parts reasonable.thanks jim
I have scoured the web for a few parts for my delta tools. Price is fairly uniform. The biggest issue that I would advise you to watch out for are sites that claim inventory, but don't actually stock the parts. I ran into several places running that scam. Heck, even Mikestools had an issue. Mikes is a stand up operation and it was a simple matter to cancel the particular order. I haven't found any place selling "delta" replacement parts at discount.

Mike Wellner
02-03-2009, 1:01 PM
Its too bad you can't get the older style dovetail templates from Delta/PC

jim sauterer
02-03-2009, 9:09 PM
thanks guys looks promising from plaza or baellew.

Charles Robertson
02-04-2009, 7:48 AM
Jim, our journey continues. Check Plaza. His machinery list an old Delta suitable for dedicated use-comes with half inch router bit spindle. He may separate. Think you may have problem with your spindle shape and older model though. Good luck on your continuing search. Charles/Al

jim sauterer
02-04-2009, 8:24 PM
just missed one at plaza .contacted ballew ken had one in stock 163.00 shipped.thanks to all jim.