PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Plans?

Jim Glock
02-01-2009, 2:49 PM
Does anyone have a source for a segmented turning plans? I'm ready to 'venture' into that area but would really like to follow a set of plans.
Appreciate the help...jg

Dewey Torres
02-01-2009, 3:03 PM
Jim,
This link will get you to a tab where you can start (http://www.turnedwood.com/links.html) (under segmented tunings at the top). But I spent the better part of yesterday going through the links and found some really great ones. Send me a PM and I can shower you with what I found. Most are PDFs.:)

Robert McGowen
02-01-2009, 4:32 PM
Jim,

If you don't find what you need, PM me with an idea of the shape and size of something that you would like to try and I can send you some plans if I have something close. (and I probably do!)

Robert

Gerold Griffin
02-01-2009, 5:09 PM
You might want to check out the woodturner pro. It lets you design your own project, select one of thiers, or modify one of thiers. The programs allow you to make feature rings, select wood, just about everything you could want. When your done it allows you to print out a sheet with all the sizes and specifics you could want. Best part is they have a free 30 trail. Personnally I liked it so much I bought it. Wonderful tool for segmented turning. The link is www.woodturnerpro.com (http://www.woodturnerpro.com)

Jim Glock
02-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks everyone for helping out. I'm pretty sure I have all of my ducks in a row and I'm ready to tackle one of these. jg

Dewey Torres
02-02-2009, 2:22 AM
You might want to check out the woodturner pro. It lets you design your own project, select one of thiers, or modify one of thiers. The programs allow you to make feature rings, select wood, just about everything you could want. When your done it allows you to print out a sheet with all the sizes and specifics you could want. Best part is they have a free 30 trail. Personnally I liked it so much I bought it. Wonderful tool for segmented turning. The link is www.woodturnerpro.com (http://www.woodturnerpro.com)

I just checked that out and it looks slick to say the least. Got it bookmarked for later. Thanks G!

Jim Kountz
02-02-2009, 7:23 PM
+1 for the Woodturner Pro Suite. Its really easy and feature packed!!

Dewey Torres
02-02-2009, 7:39 PM
+1 for the Woodturner Pro Suite. Its really easy and feature packed!!

So you bought all three in the full package?

Jim Kountz
02-02-2009, 8:10 PM
So you bought all three in the full package?

Sure did, the 3D design pro is really useful in planning your form and size. It lets you import a picture of anything you want to use ( I scoured the net for pics of vases, bowls, platters etc) then trace them and refine the shape. Then import that file into Woodturner Pro and there you go. Add rings, discs whatever, resize everything, determine the number of segments per ring, get a printout of the project to take to the shop. I like it.

Dewey Torres
02-02-2009, 8:20 PM
Sure did, the 3D design pro is really useful in planning your form and size. It lets you import a picture of anything you want to use ( I scoured the net for pics of vases, bowls, platters etc) then trace them and refine the shape. Then import that file into Woodturner Pro and there you go. Add rings, discs whatever, resize everything, determine the number of segments per ring, get a printout of the project to take to the shop. I like it.

Ahhh ha!

Is that how you made that cool seggy lamp in your album?

Jim Kountz
02-02-2009, 8:24 PM
You betcha!! Found a site with a bunch of porcelin lamps and imported the picture from that. Its a great way to learn while you develop your own "style". My style is hang the h*ll on and hope for the best. Its a talent in the working!! LOL

Dewey Torres
02-02-2009, 8:31 PM
You betcha!! Found a site with a bunch of porcelin lamps and imported the picture from that. Its a great way to learn while you develop your own "style". My style is hang the h*ll on and hope for the best. Its a talent in the working!! LOL

You might not mind if I too adopt that style as I seem to be a natural!:o

David Christopher
02-02-2009, 9:00 PM
Jim, this is a good table for getting the length of each segmenthttp://www.woodturner.org/products/aw/more_info/spring_2006/SegmentEdgeEstimationTable.pdf