PDA

View Full Version : ECHO chain saws

Dave Lehnert
02-01-2009, 2:42 PM
The ice storm last week has taken down a large amount of trees. My trusty electric chain saw wont do for this job.

I am interested in The ECHO CS-306. Any thoughts with owners of this saw or any other ECHO. I have an ECHO string trimmer and it is the BOSS. I want to stick with ECHO if good. I know this is kinda Ford vs Chevy so interested in owners of ECHO. I know people like a Stihl but owned a Stihl trimmer and did not think much of it. Just my experance so Stihl is out.

This is for home use to cut down a limb damaged in a storm or the like. The 14" bar is a good size for my needs.

http://www.echo-usa.com/product.asp?Model=CS-306&Category=CHAINSAW
http://www.echo-usa.com/Images/Products/ChainSaws/CS306/CS306.jpg

Jeff VandeZande
02-01-2009, 3:55 PM
ECHO chain saws are nice machines. Start easy and run nice, not a radical machine like the Stihl.
But they don't like to sit unused.
Keep stabilizer in your gas, add it when the gas is fresh.

I would buy from a dealer, take it back after you use it for a while to get the carb re-adjust, just like the manual says, then it should run for years.

Good luck with the clean up, I've been thru it myself.

Jeff

Jim McFarland
02-01-2009, 7:08 PM
I've used a small Echo CS-3000 for 8+ years and very happy with it. I always add Sta-bill to the gasoline I use for power equipment (even in the summer months) and saw has always started on the 1st or 2nd pull. I can't say the same for the larger Husqvarna I have -- not so happy with it -- cuts great when it starts and runs, too often does not.

Scott Conners
02-01-2009, 10:13 PM
I've been shopping for a chainsaw and my aunt, who is a pro landscaper, swears by her Echo equipment, and I'll probably be purchasing an Echo saw because of her experiences. Buy from a dealer!

Matt Meiser
02-02-2009, 8:34 AM
I looked at that same saw and ended up with a larger, slightly used Stihl which still had the remainder of the warranty. Probably 80% of my decision between the two came down to the dealer (Stihl) vs. big box (Echo.) The closest Echo dealer other than Home Depot was about 30 minutes away. The Stihl dealer is 2 minutes and probably 6 more within 30 minutes. The decision would have been more difficult had there been more support for Echo around here as I have an Echo leaf blower I like.

Charlie Jones
02-02-2009, 8:45 AM
I have an older small ECHO saw to complement my Sthil 066 and a newer string trimmer. Both are well made machines and have never missed a lick...

AL Ursich
02-02-2009, 11:25 AM
I sold this one a while back, was to compliment my small band saw mill. It was just too big to handle alone.... Scared the Sawdust out of me..... didn't have a 2nd peson to help me use it when I needed it.:mad:

Never started it...

AL

Tom Godley
02-02-2009, 1:52 PM
I have one that I bought from HD about five years ago - no problems!

K. L. McReynolds
02-02-2009, 6:14 PM
Many chain saw manuf.'s now make two lines of saws---their pro line and a DIY/homeowners line. I know Husqvarna does, not familiar with Echo or Stihl in that area. The major difference is power/rpm. The pro husky's run at 12,000 to 14,000 rpm, while the DIY models top out between 9,000 and 11,000. Chain spec's also vary.

But Echo has a loyal professional following, indicating it is a good brand.

The biggest problem with a DIYer using a pro model saw is that the pro models do not sit idle well for long periods---as in a couple months of idle time.

My advice when asked what brand of saw to buy is to stay with one of the top name brand DIYer models and pick the brand/model by which dealer/repair shop is closest and has the best reputation.

Stan Terrell
02-03-2009, 11:39 AM
"But Echo has a loyal professional following, indicating it is a good brand."

I spent 31 years in the forest products with a significant period supervising contract loggers. It may be just the part of the country, but I have never seen an echo saw in the woods.

Ed Labadie
02-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Since nobody has bothered to ask....

How large of wood will you be cutting?
How often will it see use?
What is your budget?
What dealers are in your area? Stihl, Husky/Jonsered, Echo?

Echo used to make excellent saws, (25 years ago) they were as good if not better than some of the "big names". Sadly since then Echo has directed it's products toward the big box store/consumer market more than the professional one.

Ed

K. L. McReynolds
02-03-2009, 1:23 PM
"But Echo has a loyal professional following, indicating it is a good brand."

I spent 31 years in the forest products with a significant period supervising contract loggers. It may be just the part of the country, but I have never seen an echo saw in the woods.

I spent 22 years repairing chain saws for tree trimmers working for a Kansas City public utility---and one son worked as a trimmer for several years----and many independents used Echo's. Logging is a much smaller business than tree trimming, as well as needing different types of saws---in numbers of saw users.

I have been retired for 7 years, and the last 8 years I worked was with Husqvarna models---so it could be the brand has changed significantly enough to have de-emphasized their professional line and are now concentrating on DIY production.

The OP, in my experience and my understanding of his question, does not need a professional model chain saw, so I was recommending how to get one that would be the easiest to use/get repaired

Jeff VandeZande
02-03-2009, 6:51 PM

I'm sure it was the part of the country you were in.
There are more echo's in the mountains.

Matt Meiser
02-03-2009, 7:29 PM
I'm sure it was the part of the country you were in.
There are more echo's in the mountains.

http://www.instantrimshot.com/

(Sorry, you have to push the button yourselves.)

David Freed
02-03-2009, 7:34 PM
Logging is a much smaller business than tree trimming

I would guess you are refering to the city when you say that. Lots of loggers around here. Not much business for tree trimmers.

I know people like a Stihl but owned a Stihl trimmer and did not think much of it. Just my experance so Stihl is out.

Just curious, what was wrong with it?

K. L. McReynolds
02-03-2009, 9:43 PM
I've seen documentaries about loggers, read stories(true ones) about how hard they work, and done a little DIY logging. My Dad had a Mercury 2 man chain saw---I spent many hours on the single handle end of that saw.:eek: So, I have a bit of education about loggers.

I was speaking of urban/suburban tree trimmers, with a smattering of rural trimmers thrown in for variety. Then there are line trimmers---crews who travel transmission lines and trim to clear.

Short story about rural trimmers---this one from Georgia. Big ice storm about 15-17 years ago. Limbs and lines down all over the state. Utilities often send crews---line crews/trucks and trimmers/trucks----to help in those situations. My eldest son went that trip. His crew was a climbing crew---no bucket/boop truck and was paired with a local utility troubleshooter. They were assigned to an area to clear any linbs/debris off the lines. Off they go, heavily wooded area. One of the first problems they encounter was a medium limb hung on the wires---in the middle of the span(between two poles) with no way to get to the limb. Son/crew are discussing what to do when---BOOM!---clickchamber noise and----BOOM!!----they turn around and see the local fella unshouldering his pump 12 guage with a grin on his face. They look up at the branch on the wire---only wire, no branch!

"Easiest way I know", he nodded.;):D

John Keeton
02-03-2009, 10:12 PM
I know you have made your decision on Stihl, but there are good reasons it is the number one selling chainsaw in the world. Good dealer network, good machine. It is really hard to beat the Farm Boss MS 290. I would encourage you to do some research and not base your chainsaw purchase on one bad experience with a trimmer. Just a thought from a Stihl owner for over 20 years, both chainsaws and gas powered weedeaters.

Sean Troy
02-04-2009, 8:57 AM
Sta-Bil was mentioned as a fuel additive. From what I've seen latly, most of the oil mix for the saws fuel already has the sta bil additive in it.

Mike Malott
02-04-2009, 4:42 PM
Dave,

I've had a Stihl 015 since 1981 and it's still going strong!

Mike

Dusty Fuller
02-05-2009, 10:14 AM
I bought an Echo CS400 from a dealer back in the fall and cut up a large pile of poplar, sweetgum and pine, along with a pear tree, some species of hickory or another, a little bit of dogwood, and two red oak logs 10' long x 20" thick. Some ended up as firewood (polar and oak) and the rest (even the pine) is turning stock in waiting. The saw never skipped a beat. All it asked for was fuel, bar oil, and a sharp chain. I've also used a much older Stihl 034 that was a bit of an animal. Both good saws, the Stihl being less tame.