PDA

View Full Version : Black Stain from spalting

Paul Maue
02-01-2009, 2:09 PM
I have seen some beautiful spalted pieces on the forum, but how do you prevent the black spalting from getting into the open pores of the end grain when sanding? Is that what sanding sealer if for?

Paul

Barry Elder
02-01-2009, 9:11 PM
I've turned a lot of spalted maple and hackberry and I haven't had that problem. Maybe it's that I only turn reasonably dry wood. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say.

Jeff Nicol
02-01-2009, 10:41 PM
It has those muddy looking colors right in the wood, it is not from the sanding dust. I have some spalted hackberry thay almost looks like it was stained to look all mottled like that.

Jeff

Allen Neighbors
02-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Try a Lacquer Wash prior to sanding. 65%Thinner/35%Lacquer. Put it on, and wipe it off. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, then sand as usual. At the first sign of smearing, Lacquer Wash again. Keep sanding. The Lacquer wash won't prohibit the use of Oil finish like sanding sealer. The wash only seals the surface pores, which will be sanded off.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-02-2009, 12:05 AM
I agree with Jeff on this, and I took a picture of a spalted Elm bowl, it has some staining also. it not caused by sanding dust I guarantee that :-)
Just finish your bowl carefully and you'll be fine, oh and spalting doesn't come out with bleaching either.