PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about this tool from Lee Valley?

Mark Rios
02-01-2009, 1:31 PM
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,43411,43417,62139&p=62139

Has anyone used it?

Any knowledge of this type of tool from Lee Valley, etc?

Dewey Torres
02-01-2009, 1:37 PM
I have the B&D version of that without the light and fancy pack and I like it for small work. The L-ION batteries are the key. They hold a charge and go near full speed all the way up until they die and they don't take forever to charge once you are done.

The market is flooded with these little guys... I think Bosch make one of the best but I saw my little B&D at Lowes for $20 during Black Friday and had to get it. It will not take the lugs off of your car but I found that it will do many small tasks around the shop. If the thing dies today it will have already been worth the $20 I paid for it and I would go get the 10volt next time if I had to do it again.

Ken Garlock
02-01-2009, 1:40 PM
Hi Mark. I don't know about it specifically, but it seems to me that with only 3.6V battery(s) it doesn't have enough power to get out its own way.:eek:

OTOH, the price is good, and LV has a good reputation for selling quality products. Personally, I would pass, but you might pick it up and let us know how it performs. :cool:

Yes, I know, that is not what you wanted to know.:)

Dave Lehnert
02-01-2009, 2:19 PM
Not sure about that unit from Lee Valley but own the craftsman 4.0 volt. Works very well. It goes on sale for $34.
It can drive a #8 without a pilot through two chunks of 3/4" cherry. Has to grunt to do it but just shows how much power it has. To drive screws with a pilot hole it is I deal for me. A tool like this for $100 I don't need at $34 I can use it.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00911398000P?mv=cf&vName=Tools&cName=Portable+Power+Tools&sbf=Brand&sbv=Craftsman

http://s.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00911398000?qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

Matt Meiser
02-01-2009, 2:26 PM
I have the Bosch which is 10.8V. I originally bought mine not too long after they came out to replace a Dewalt impact that apparently developed an internal short and caught a battery on fire. I use it all the time as it is much better for woodworking than an impact. But it didn't replace the impact for all uses so I eventually ended up buying a Makita impact. Now Bosch makes a set that has a regular driver and a mini-impact driver that would have been very tempting if it had been available when I got mine.

I wouldn't buy the Lee Valley one for the simple reason that it doesn't use a removable battery pack and takes 3 hours to charge. Mine came with 2 battery packs and they charge in a half hour I think--however long it is the batteries last longer than they take to charge for me.

Wade Lippman
02-01-2009, 5:51 PM
My Ryobi 3.6v is useless. The battery that is supposed to hold a charge for a year doesn't, and it has no power at all.

Leo Vogel
02-02-2009, 4:29 PM
I just got my driver from Lee Valley. It is OK. Plenty of power, but not variable speed. Probably would not buy again.

Don Selke
02-02-2009, 8:43 PM
I too took the plunge and bought the Bosch 10.8 driver. I use it all the time in the shop. It is one of my favorate hand held tools. Great power and variable speed.

Peter Quinn
02-02-2009, 9:22 PM
Looks like a knock off of my Metabo 7.2V LIO driver. Notice the way the hand is holding that driver? Pointing the index finger and pulling the trigger with the middle finger. This is one of the most ergonomic holds for fine repetitive driving, such as hinge screws or other hardware installations. My metabo will drive 3" #10 screws at a clip of 100+- per battery, but its forte is finesse work with hardware. Frankly you don't need and should not use a powerful impact driver for fine installations, but one of these little guys will take the place of a hand screwdriver in such situations. The slow speed is an asset for setting fine screws precisely. I keep my little driver in my tool box at work and find myself using it for everything from hinge installation to jig building to machine maintenance.

In short if you are building a deck, get an impact driver. If you are driving into concrete, get a hilti. But if you are placing fine screws in fine wood working projects or similar one of these LI drivers may just what you need.

Vinny Miseo
02-02-2009, 9:37 PM
Does the Metabo have the same forward and reverse thing on the trigger?

Chris Gombola
02-02-2009, 10:21 PM
The bosch 10.8 rocks, I use mine constantly.

Barry Beech
02-03-2009, 11:24 AM
I have the Bosch in the driver and impact. Love them and use them all the time around the house. I also have the Dewalt 12V and the 18v. I always grab the Bosch first.

The impact will use a battery much faster than the driver but they both hold a charge very, very well.

Leo Vogel
02-17-2009, 4:18 PM
Well, as said earlier, I just got my driver and it has died already. Will not hold a charge and will not drive more than one screw with a charging. Going back to Lee Valley for refund. Really wish that I had not bought it. Bought a new Makita 10.8 today - WOW.

Chris Padilla
02-17-2009, 4:23 PM
Click on the link in the first post on this thread provided by Mark: Lee Valley is no longer offering this product. I think Leo found out why!

Lee Schierer
02-17-2009, 4:24 PM
I notice it is no longer available. That should tell you something.

Chris Padilla
02-17-2009, 4:27 PM
Is this (http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PS20-2-10-8-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Batteries/dp/B000F4GITI) the Bosch driver some of y'all are referring to?

Chris Padilla
02-19-2009, 3:28 PM
Is this (http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PS20-2-10-8-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Batteries/dp/B000F4GITI) the Bosch driver some of y'all are referring to?

Anyone? Anyone? :)

Matt Meiser
02-19-2009, 3:39 PM
That's the one I have. But that price is ridiculous. I saw them last night for $90 at a local store.

Glenn Clabo
02-19-2009, 3:52 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2401-22-12-Volt-Li-ion-Sub-Compact/dp/B000WI9CIG?&camp=212361&linkCode=wsw&tag=wwwnorthwinda-20&creative=380789

Chris...
I got this for my b'day. I've only used it for about full day driving all kinds of screws...and am impressed. It's much more comfortable that a full sized drill and powerful enough to force 3 inch deck screws. It comes with an extra battery...charger...and canvas case to hold it all.
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/b7/4a/867179edd7a0ccb25e228110.L.jpg

Bill Huber
02-19-2009, 3:57 PM
Anyone? Anyone? :)

Chris, I had the 10v Bosch and it was a great little tool then I found the Milwaukee which is about the same with one big difference.

With the Bosch you have to pull and hold the collar out to change bits.

With the Milwaukee you just pull the collar out and it locks out, then when you put the bit in, it closes. This make for a one handed bit change.

Chris Padilla
02-19-2009, 4:36 PM
Glenn/Matt,

That Milwaukee is positively SEXY looking! Am I allowed to say that?! ;) Hmmm....must contribute to lousy economy...must contribute to lousy economy.... :D

Gary Kvasnicka
02-19-2009, 5:28 PM
I got the Milwaukee for Christmas and I love it. I am most impressed with how long it holds a charge. At first I thought who would want that LED light, now I don't know how I got along without it. Highly recommended.