PDA

View Full Version : Glue question

ron hokenson
02-01-2009, 12:48 PM
I am building cabinets for a garage that I want to put a sealer on. I am using Bulls Eye seal coat which is wax free.

The paint store says I can seal before the glue up. My question is...Will the glue be as effective when there is a sealer on the area to be glued or do I need to do the glue up before putting a sealer on ?

thanks in advance, ron

Steve Schoene
02-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Trying to glue sealed surfaces is not a good plan. The sealer, including shellac, will impede the glue bond strength.

However, you can mask off areas that would be glue surfaces and seal the rest.

ron hokenson
02-01-2009, 1:18 PM
Makes sense that I would get a better job. It sure would be easier to seal first though. One of my problems is that I might be putting too much glue on (novice here). When I glue(titebond 111), I have glue everywhere. I can't seem to get it off quick enough and when I seal, the areas that I have wiped the glue off it is a different texture sometimes. So far, I have used hot water and a putty knive to remove the glue that is pushed from the joints. Maybe as I get more experienced I will get better at it.

thanks for the reply, ron

Joe Chritz
02-02-2009, 2:15 AM
The areas you are wiping the glue is sealed a bit and that is why you notice it when you finish. You need to fully remove any residue by really wiping it good or better let the glue skin over about 30 minutes and it normally pops right off with a dull chisel.

You can tape next to the glue up areas to catch the squeeze out or be really careful and minimize the squeeze out but you will always get at least a little it seems.

By being careful how you apply the glue you can sometimes force any excess to one side where it doesn't matter as much or is easier to remove.

Joe