PDA

View Full Version : Help: Upper bandsaw wheel won't turn easily

Wes Billups
02-01-2009, 10:52 AM
I've got a 10+ year old Delta 14" bandsaw and when replacing the blade last night I noticed the upper wheel doesn't spin freely. Before I go tearing into this thing can anyone recommend a starting point? I purchased the saw two years ago and don't remember if it was this way when I bought it.

Just for reference the wheel spins with constant resistance so I don't think it's the bearing. In my limited experience with bandsaws I thought you could give the top wheel a spin and it would free wheel for quite a while. Mine doesn't even make a quarter revolution.

Thanks,
Wes Billups

Alex Shanku
02-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Something is binding or bearings are bad. My guess is bearings.

My upper wheel on my 40 year old powermatic 141 spins for 45 seconds or so when spun by hand.

Bill White
02-01-2009, 11:40 AM
I don't think there is anything to inhibit rotation but bad bearings, and/or bearing lube.
Bill:confused:

Frank Drew
02-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Wes,

This maximum quarter revolution is with the blade removed, right?

I'm with Alex and Bill -- unless perhaps something is stuck between the wheel and the frame or back wheel cover, I can't think of any contact point that could prevent (or allow) rotation except the bearings.

Bill Huber
02-01-2009, 11:56 AM
I think there is only one nut that holds the wheel on so just take it off and check the bearings.

I am sure you could get a set of bearings for less then $10.

Wes Billups
02-01-2009, 2:57 PM
Well I feel stupid now. Luckily it wasn't the bearings. Last night while using the saw the blade broke. Upon opening it up to replace the blade I noticed the wheel turned with quite a bit of resistance. After the shock of experiencing the blade brake I didn't notice the top wheel sprung up into the upper guard. This was causing the resistance.

I'm happy to report everything works great, in fact I was using the original blade all this time and didn't realize what cutting with a sharp blade can do for accuracy.

Thanks,
Wes