PDA

View Full Version : Any contact lens users out there?

dennis thompson
02-01-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm thinking about getting contact lenses for my 14 year old grandson. It's pretty confusing with single use, daily wear, extended wear, etc..Given that he's 14, I'm intuitively leaning towards daily disposable ones (I don't think he'd do the best job in cleaning his lenses) Has anyone had any experience with contact lenses? suggestions?
Thanks
Dennis

scott spencer
02-01-2009, 11:42 AM
According to my eye doctor, wearing any lenses for an extended period isn't the healthiest for your eyes. He prefers that any lens not to be worn for more than ~ 12 hours at a time. I suspect single use disposables are the most expensive route. I use daily wear lenses and soak them in multipurpose solution every night.....they're good for around 1 month, then get disposed of. Your doctor can advise what's best.

I've been wearing contacts for > 30 years now with minimum problems. A good brand name solution can be important depending on his sensitivity to them...B&L or Alcon are what I use. The only issues I've ever had are when I switched to a generic solution to save money, and ended up with an allergic reaction to it...HMMV. Sure wish I'd had contacts when I was playing football in the mid to late 70s....had I been able to see, they might have let me play halfback instead of fullback! :rolleyes:

Dan Bertenthal
02-01-2009, 12:04 PM
I've worn the 1-day Acuevue brand for several years and am quite pleased. At the end of the day when I'm tired, it's really nice not to have to clean them. The cost is about $2 per day--possibly a little bit less--but the cost is partially offset by not needing to buy solutions and enzyme cleaners. I've never tried to compare the costs in detail. For me, they're worth it.
I've received similar advice about not wearing them for too long. Even if it's still FDA approved (I haven't looked into it recently), eyes are too precious to take chances.
d

Mitchell Andrus
02-01-2009, 12:47 PM
My son went to disposables about a year ago. He went through a lot of glasses either because his RX changed or due to breakage - and glasses aren't cheap!!!!!

I've found that about 1/2 of the cost of the disposables is made up for by not needing glasses once or twice a year. So, the $50.00/month cost is really about $25.00 or so.

Side note... I'd love contacts but in the shop I need to wear glasses anyway (for safety) and because my eyes are a bit too dry, I can't use them - I tried....

Belinda Barfield
02-02-2009, 8:33 AM
Dennis, I've worn contacts for 33 years now. I worked in ophthalmology for 12 of those years. For young men, 14 can be a little early for contacts, but that really depends on how responsible he is, and how squeamish he is about putting something in his eye. Whenever he is ready he should wear the lenses as daiily wear. Extended wear just isn't a good idea, IMHO. However, he can utilize extended wear lenses as daily wear. I have 30 day lenses, I remove them every night, the throw them away at the end of hte month. Extended wear lenses are more comfortable, but they tend to be easier to tear with handling. I can't remember the name of the lenses I currently wear, but they are the most comfortable I've ever worn. I use Complete No Rub solution (I think). I'll double check that as well. With the current solutions on the market, all he will have to do is manage to get the lenses in the case with solution every night.

Bob Rufener
02-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Your eye doctor should be a pretty good judge of what is best for your grandson. I have an astigmatism which requires that I use bitoric lenses. Soft lenses are out of the question for me as I have to use gas permeable lenses. Cleaning is really important and not that time consuming. Occasionally, I have problems with protein buildup on the lenses which makes it uncomfortable to wear lenses. I recently switched to a different cleaning solution which has helped. I would definitely recommend contacts if he is ok to wear them. They really can tweak them so you can see very well. I can see much better with lenses than my glasses.

Dennis Peacock
02-02-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm trying to switch from glasses to contacts. Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have to have bi-focals as my distance and close vision isn't clear without glasses. I've tried a few different pairs of contacts. I can wear them just fine, but getting the right combination has been troublesome.

1. Contacts for distance vision - works fine, but how do I handle things for computer work and close work as I do in the shop and at my day job?

2. Contacts that are "bi-focal" - This was great for my vision out to just past my finger tips. Beyond that, I couldn't judge distance very well and couldn't read anything past the front of the car.

3. Current contacts - One contact for distance and one contact for close up (different eye for each contact). Works pretty fair but distance is kinda fuzzy as is my close up vision.

Is there really a solution for those of us with this problem or should I just stick with glasses? Note: I didn't start wearing glasses until about 4 years ago due to age (I'm almost 50 now).

Lee Schierer
02-02-2009, 1:41 PM
I think 14 might be a bit early for contact wear also. I would seek the advice of an eycare professional andnot just someone selling contacts.

I have worn contacts and like the freedom of not having glasses, but the need for bifocals forced me to carry a set of "cheaters" so I could read. Menus in restrausts are just a blurr with out my helper glasses. I would highly recommend contacts for anyone doing scuba or snorkeling. They are also great for most sports.

In the shop you still need eye protection so it's either wear the contacts with cheaters and safety glasses or wear my regular glasses.

My eye doctor does not recommend more than 12 hours wear per day and recommended the 30 day lenses for my use. The once or twice I took a nap with my contacts, my eyes were dry and itchy afterwardds. I can't imagine what they would feel like over night.

Tom Godley
02-02-2009, 1:49 PM
I have used contacts since I was 16 -- now almost 50 -- you do the math :(

For myself the extended use contact lens have been the best. You place the lens in your eye and leave it alone for the prescribed time. All of the taking the lens in and out every night and cleaning it off - handling it -- then using protein buildup remover etc etc etc .............. for me this caused more problems.

I switched to the extended a long time ago and have very little problems. If I have a problem with a particular lens before the prescribed time to replace it - I toss it out - that includes if it just falls out.

The modern lenses are so cheap that this way I always have a clean fresh lens in my eye without the additional chemicals -- Plus I don't need to purchase carry all the other "stuff"

Chris Padilla
02-02-2009, 3:21 PM
I used various ones but found the extended to work out best. When they started feeling irritable, I would toss them and use fresh ones. After 12 years of wearing contacts, my eye doctor informed me that my eyes had started to grow extra blood vessels.

This can happen because your eyes absorb oxygen from the air as well as from blood.

Contact lenses CAN block the absorption from air and cause vessel growth, which if not caught early, can cause blurry vision and even blindness. He gave me 3 alternatives:

(1) Quit contacts and go back to glasses (uh, no thanks)
(2) Change over to contacts that are gas permeable and allow oxygen to flow through them but he warned me that they are larger, thicker, and more expensive (sounds like a lose, lose, and lose proposition to me)
(3) Laser surgery (we have a winner...finally an impetus to get this done)

Anyway, got the LASIK and it is probably the best thing I've ever done for myself.

As others have said, using a trusted/qualified doctor is your best bet to making sure your eyes are taken care of. Be sure to have yearly check-ups. Contacts are pretty trouble-free for most people but they can cause problems.

Belinda Barfield
02-02-2009, 3:35 PM
I used various ones but found the extended to work out best. When they started feeling irritable, I would toss them and use fresh ones. After 12 years of wearing contacts, my eye doctor informed me that my eyes had started to grow extra blood vessels.

This can happen because your eyes absorb oxygen from the air as well as from blood.

Contact lenses CAN block the absorption from air and cause vessel growth, which if not caught early, can cause blurry vision and even blindness.

This is the argument against extended wear lenses. Your corneas need a break. Extended wear lenses are the most cornea friendly ones out there, if worn on a daily wear basis.

Cleaning is a much simpler process than it was in the past. I use a one step solution. Place lenses in case with clean solution, close the case. Pretty quick and simple. The gas perm lenses can be very uncomfortable to wear, so you're lucky you didn't have to go that route.

Dennis Thornton
02-02-2009, 6:46 PM
I'm trying to switch from glasses to contacts. Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have to have bi-focals as my distance and close vision isn't clear without glasses. I've tried a few different pairs of contacts. I can wear them just fine, but getting the right combination has been troublesome.

1. Contacts for distance vision - works fine, but how do I handle things for computer work and close work as I do in the shop and at my day job?

2. Contacts that are "bi-focal" - This was great for my vision out to just past my finger tips. Beyond that, I couldn't judge distance very well and couldn't read anything past the front of the car.

3. Current contacts - One contact for distance and one contact for close up (different eye for each contact). Works pretty fair but distance is kinda fuzzy as is my close up vision.

Is there really a solution for those of us with this problem or should I just stick with glasses? Note: I didn't start wearing glasses until about 4 years ago due to age (I'm almost 50 now).

I had the same problems. The solution for me was to have my eyes lasered. I was approx 20/2000 nearsighted. I now wear glasses for close up (1.75). I see 20/20 far sighted.

Belinda Barfield
02-03-2009, 7:57 AM
Last night I verified lenses and solution.

Most comfortable lenses ever worn: Accuvue Oasys.
Cleaning Solution: Complete No Rub.

One issue with contact lens wear is the development of GPC, Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis. I, as almost all lens wearers do, developed this early on. Extended wear lenses, worn for extended periods as opposed to daily removal, have been shown in some studies to increase the risk for, or worsen, GPC. This appears to be due to the protein deposits that build up on the lenses when worn long term. GPC is one of the reasons the eye starts to feel irritated and scratchy, it's basically a reaction to the lens material, or contamination of the lens. If you want to read more, this is a link for the results of one study. Granted, this study concluded in 1999, and better lens materials are available. However, it is my understanding that GPC is still a concern with extended wear.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1298261

The Complete solution is manufactured by AMO (Advanced Medical Optics). Blue box with bright yellow "sun" on the front. For the record this company manufactured Complete MoisturePlus, which was by far the best solution I've ever used. However, AMO issued a voluntary recall on this product a couple of years ago. Here is the link to the recall, as you may want to consider this before purchasing one of their products.

http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/amo05_07.html

I don't think this product is back on the market, and IIRC the issue of contamination was cleared up.

Chris Padilla
02-03-2009, 11:15 AM
This is the argument against extended wear lenses. Your corneas need a break. Extended wear lenses are the most cornea friendly ones out there, if worn on a daily wear basis.

Cleaning is a much simpler process than it was in the past. I use a one step solution. Place lenses in case with clean solution, close the case. Pretty quick and simple. The gas perm lenses can be very uncomfortable to wear, so you're lucky you didn't have to go that route.

Agree...I pulled my lenses out every night. I don't rightly recall what brand I used but Ciba and Accuvue sound familiar.

I had always wanted to have my eyes "laser'ed" but kept putting it off thinking, "well, the technonology will only get better and maybe the cost will come down, too..." but when I was faced with the 3 options I listed, that was finally pushed me over. It has been wonderful having perfect vision, waking up in the AM and seeing everything.

I used the Aosept system for cleaning. My wife continues to use contacts/Aosept and while she think she might do the LASIK, her prescription keeps changing. The last couple of years her eyesight is actually improving if you can believe that! The doc said until her prescription is stable for a year or two, he can't recommend LASIK.

Belinda Barfield
02-03-2009, 11:29 AM
My wife continues to use contacts/Aosept and while she think she might do the LASIK, her prescription keeps changing. The last couple of years her eyesight is actually improving if you can believe that! The doc said until her prescription is stable for a year or two, he can't recommend LASIK.

I had always used Aosept products until my opthalmologist recommended the AMO Complete. When using Aosept my eyes were always irritated and scratchy towards the end of the day, and I was always "aware" of my contacts. Now, I'm comfortable all day.

I'm going through the same thing as your wife. Until about two years ago my uncorrected vision was less than 20/400 (for those of you uninitiated into the world of poor eyesight, that means I can't even see the big "E" at the top of the chart). On my last two visits my eyesight has improved. Once I stabilize I can have Lasik done on only one eye, the other will require an older, more painful method of correction - which I'm not sure I'm brave enough to go through. Interestingly enough, the reason I can't have Lasik on the left eye is a condition called recurrent corneal erosion - caused by my attempts to wear gas perm lenses.

On the topic of the initial thread question, an ophthalmologist of course being the one to ask, IIRC 14 is too young for Lasik, or any corneal modification to improve vision. After 14 there are probably two more growth spurts that will affect a lens prescription.

Belinda Barfield
02-05-2009, 8:23 AM
Dennis pointed out to me, after he did some research, that the Complete solution is "Easy Rub", not no rub. The No Rub solution is made by Ciba and is a hydrogen peroxide based cleaning system.

I stand corrected, and apologize for not doing a better job of checking the label on the Complete solution. Should have been wearing my reading glasses! :rolleyes:

Alan Trout
02-05-2009, 9:23 AM
I have been wearing contacts for 2 years now. These were my first corrective lenses ever. When I turned 40 my arms became to short.:D However I tried glasses. I just could not get use to them. While for detail work they were fine It drove me crazy to walk or drive in them. I went back to the doctor and fitted me for contacts. I were a positive prescription contact and use the Acuview Oasis lenses. I can vouch for the comfort level of these lenses. These of course are a weekly disposable but my doctor told me if I took care of them I could get a month out of a set of lenses. Being a high protein low carb diet guy protein deposits are a problem for me. I have found that I put them in no rub solution every night with one drop for each lens of Alcon Supra Clense. It is an awsome product. It is like a new set of lenses every day. Far as solutions go I have tried them all and have settled on the generic from Sam's. It is as good as any that I have tried and $7.00 for 3 bottles so it is almost 2/3rds less expensive than the the name brand and works just as well.

I love contacts my overall vision is better than with glasses. Like I told the doctor when they were first put in It is like wearing no glasses except I can see again.

Good Luck

Alan

Richard M. Wolfe
02-05-2009, 9:51 AM
I wish I could. I tried but they gave me nothing but grief over my cornea transplants. Plus the fact that in the past couple years my corneas have developed a tendency to expand and contract (water and dewater) and according to my optometrist it's from the back of the corneas so my vision changes every few weeks and using drops doesn't help. Waaa.... :rolleyes::o

I try not to complain too much but for those people who cry and moan that they can't see anything when they have, say, 20/50 corrected to 20/20 I tell them I'd love to swap with them a couple days. (And the guy with the white cane would love to swap with me).

Chris Padilla
02-05-2009, 1:20 PM
I had always used Aosept products until my opthalmologist recommended the AMO Complete. When using Aosept my eyes were always irritated and scratchy towards the end of the day, and I was always "aware" of my contacts. Now, I'm comfortable all day.

I'm going through the same thing as your wife. Until about two years ago my uncorrected vision was less than 20/400 (for those of you uninitiated into the world of poor eyesight, that means I can't even see the big "E" at the top of the chart). On my last two visits my eyesight has improved. Once I stabilize I can have Lasik done on only one eye, the other will require an older, more painful method of correction - which I'm not sure I'm brave enough to go through. Interestingly enough, the reason I can't have Lasik on the left eye is a condition called recurrent corneal erosion - caused by my attempts to wear gas perm lenses.

On the topic of the initial thread question, an ophthalmologist of course being the one to ask, IIRC 14 is too young for Lasik, or any corneal modification to improve vision. After 14 there are probably two more growth spurts that will affect a lens prescription.

AMO Complete. Okay, maybe I'll look for that and she can give it a try. I don't recall her complaining about her lenses but when we run out, she can try it. Can't hurt, I think! :)

Interesting about your prescription changing. Is it a woman hormonal thing? ;) :D I tend to blame that on all issues with my wife! :p

I agree about the age: 14 is too young and I don't think any reputable doctor would work on so young a person.

Belinda Barfield
02-05-2009, 2:25 PM
Interesting about your prescription changing. Is it a woman hormonal thing? ;) :D I tend to blame that on all issues with my wife! :p

Read sig line below!!!;) I have no idea why my prescription has started to change, just glad it's changing for the better.

Ray Schafer
02-09-2009, 10:16 AM
I have worn contacts since I was 14. I now wear Acuvue Oasys. I have tried lots of contacts and find these to be the most comfortable -- by far. I never have to use wetting solution, while all of my friends who have other brands use solution all day long. I live in Denver, which is VERY dry. I was worried that I would have problems when I moved here, but these contacts work great.

I wear them for about two weeks -- taking them out almost every night -- and then throw them away.

My solution to the age thing was to have one eye for reading and one for distance. If you get the right contact and the right prescription, I don't think that you should have problems seeing clearly, unless you have pretty severe astigmatism.

I have tried all of the bifocal contacts, and I don't find that I can see very well far or closeup. Since I play tennis and ping pong, I need good vision. My solution for depth pereception when playing sports is that I have some contacts for my "readin eye" which change it to a "far away eye" (isn't that from a Rolling Stones song?). When I am going to plan a sport, I just pop in this other contact and I can see great.

Ray