PDA

View Full Version : Drawer edge roundovers after assembly

Sean Rainaldi
02-01-2009, 5:11 AM
Hi,

Is there a good way to place a slight round-over - around 1/8" - on drawer edges after drawer assembly?

I forgot to do the roundovers on my router table before assembly.

Specifically, I was thinking the best way to do it is use a cornering tool, then to get up into the corner where drawer walls meet, follow through with a chisel plane, matching the radius of already planed roundover with the plane. Think this would be the best way?

Doug Shepard
02-01-2009, 7:21 AM
Can you flip the whole drawer upside down and still use the RT? Or is the front taller than the sides? You'd only have to clean up the corners if that works.
The cornering tool sounds like it would work good too. I've banged out a few rounderovers with http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=56529&cat=1,42524 too and it leaves a pretty darn good surface though not quite as smooth as planing or routing,. Quick though.

Larry Edgerton
02-01-2009, 8:24 AM
I always do mine after with a PC 310 trimmer and a 1/8" bit. I use a bastard file in the corners.

Steve Jenkins
02-01-2009, 8:51 AM
I just use a roundover bit in the router with the drawer sitting on the bench. It is pretty easy to balance the router on the drawer edge and the bearing guides it. I do a full bullnose on the tops of my drawers making two passes with the router. one with the bearing on the inside then with the bearing on the outside.

Joe Chritz
02-01-2009, 10:00 AM
I round over more than 1/8" normally and use a Colt Trim router. I don't mess with the corners and don't find it bad at all. If the drawers were heirloom furniture I would probably just rough the round over with a chisel and finish with a bit of sandpaper.

Joe

Ed Peters
02-02-2009, 8:51 PM
R...andom O...orbit S...ander.

Ed

Peter Quinn
02-02-2009, 9:08 PM
I've done inside corners with the bottom face up and outside corners with the sides and fronts face down on the router table, not much issue even with a 5/16 round over on 5/8 drawer sides. There is a bit to clean up in the corners if you choose to, I used a file and sanding block. Short of mitered corners I don't think you can do better with eased edges, and with an 1/8" round over it should be a breeze.

Chip Lindley
02-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Since 99% of my drawers have applied fronts, I turn the boxes upside down on the router table and route all 4 inside edges, then the two sides. Front and back edges remain square.

Takes all the worry out of making a bobble while balancing a router or trimmer on a 1/2" edge!

Steve Griffin
02-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Don't make work! I run 180 grit on a sanding block around the edges to ease the corners. Takes about 15 seconds per drawer.

Can't say I've ever opened a drawer and thought 'Gosh, it would look SO much better if the top edges were more roundy".

But of course in woodworking, like ice cream, everyone has their preferences. Hmmm i need some ice cream....

-Steve