PDA

View Full Version : Restored chisels, new skews

Ken Werner
01-31-2009, 10:02 PM
Bob Smalser posted a fine article on chisels a while back, which planted a seed in my head to recondition 2 vintage chisels into a pair of skews. So here's my pair, one is a Buck Bros., the other a James Swan. The handles are cherry, in the pattern of a Stanley 750, or our friends in Maine. The lower handle is a little to narrow. I am a poor turner, and just try to get by with a functional result.

Phillip Pattee
01-31-2009, 10:42 PM
They look very nice. Have you used them yet?

willie sobat
02-01-2009, 6:26 AM
Those are cool. Good job.

Ken Werner
02-01-2009, 7:17 AM
They look very nice. Have you used them yet?

Thanks. No - just finished them yesterday.

Ray Sheley
02-01-2009, 7:34 AM
Very nice Ken. I'm turning challenged as well, so those look great to me. What are the blade width's that you used? I'm looking for viable matched in appearance and sized candidates, and have almost decided to use plastic handled volunteers in different sizes to see what size or sizes are best before chewing up any of my supply of socket types. (Not to mention the fact that it allows me to delay tackling my lathe to get these done.)

Mike Cutler
02-01-2009, 7:58 AM
Nice work Ken. They look great!

Don't sweat the turning stuff, those handles look just fine to me.
I've got a 1/2 cord, er a stash, of black cherry to practice my turning on. I truly suck at turning.:o,;)

harry strasil
02-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Nice work Ken,

Here are 2 3/4 inch vintage chisels I made into skews, I also have another set a half inch wide in my demo tool chests.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/skewchisels.jpg

I cut up the wrist protector part of old welding gauntlets and stitch them up for covers for almost all of my chisels.

Ken Werner
02-01-2009, 1:01 PM
Ray, mine are 1/2" wide. Blue Spruce makes them in 3/8 and 1/2, LN in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2. If I come across a pair of 3/8" bevel edged chisels, I might make another pair. For now, these should do nicely.

Hey Jr., nice pair you got there.

Ken