PDA

View Full Version : If your wife is a quilter make her one of these

Dahl Troy Perry
01-31-2009, 8:12 PM
If you want to get brownie points with the wife make her one of these quilt pressers. Istarted my oldest boy makeing these when he was 15 he is now 31` he stop making them 4 years ago he had made about 70,000 know the youngest has made about 20,000 he has bought a car computer and lots of toys and has money in the bank.I wish he would get tired of making then so dad can have some mad money:rolleyes: they are made out of cherry they sell in many quilting mags. here is the link to one http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/8619.htm
We have shiped to every country in the world. I guess I need to make more pin bowls my wife caled and said she could have sold a bunch they were a big hit at the quilting retreat.

Rich Boehlke
01-31-2009, 9:59 PM
Just checked, she already has one but says another would be nice. Any dark secrets to making these? What is the angle on the foot?

Joe Suelter
01-31-2009, 10:06 PM
What does it do? Any plans or instructions? My Mom is a quiltmaker...I have never seen her use anything like that before! Fill me in!

Jon McCoy
01-31-2009, 10:51 PM
Quilts are made of little "blocks" of fabric, sewn together along their edges into a whole fabric. If each little piece isn't cut exactly right, the quilt looks funny. Likewise if the "seam allowance" -- the little extra folded over on each edge for the stitching isn't exactly right, the quilt looks funny. Like on a segmented piece (obligatory turning content), small errors add up on a large piece.

After cutting out the block and before stitching, the blocks need to be flattened, and the seam allowance folded. You can use an electric iron to press them, but it's easy to get the fold slightly wrong (or burn your fingers). So a little wooden or plastic tool is used to crease the folds.

-jon-

Joe Suelter
02-01-2009, 9:52 AM
Huh...cool idea. Can someone post some dimensions that you use. I'd like to try a few.

Paul Douglass
02-01-2009, 10:45 AM
The ad says they are 5 1/4" long. Looks like about a 30' angle. I bet if you know a quilter they can tell you.

Joe Suelter
02-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Ever have one of those moments. I read the above post, and didn't click on the link until you just pointed it out!

Thanks...I'll give one a try.

Dahl Troy Perry
02-01-2009, 6:27 PM
Ok guys the over all length 5 1/2 the head is .800 x .400 the handle is 4 1/2 long the head has a compond angle 40 deg and 8 deg going from right to left for right hand or 8 deg from left to right for left hand with the handle turned to .400 round. can't be that hard my boy can make them in his sleep:D:D:D