PDA

View Full Version : I hate ice, moving to FL soon!!

Jim Kountz
01-31-2009, 6:28 PM
I live in the mountains of WV, its a beautiful place full of clean mt streams, panoramic vistas and a laid back way of life. However in the winter there are times when I am trapped here in my home due to the crappy road I live on and the horrible driveway I have. Right now the entire driveway is nothing but ice with a little track on the side. Today coming home from work I put the ol Chevy in low range, pulled the tranny into low 1 and started down the driveway. About half way down it broke traction and there was nothing I could do but hold on. The brakes were of course useless and steering in any direction was futile. End result? I came crashing into my front porch!!!! I took out a post, the end of the deck some railing and put a nice dent in the hood of the truck. It broke a wheel on my brand new grill I got for Fathers Day last year and just generally screwed things up.
The porch I can repair easy enough, set a new post, replace that section of railing. But my truck is another story. Looks like at a minimum I will need some repair to the hood and that black plastic skirting under the bumper. Worst part is I cant move the truck. It just spins on the ice. So now my truck is stuck on my front porch. Sigh.
Well tomorrow we are supposed to be near 50 so if that happens perhaps things will melt enough for my neighbor to pull me out and I can better assess the damage.
If I have anything to do with it, I will be moving to a more sunny climate soon, Im starting to really really hate winter with a passion.

David Christopher
01-31-2009, 6:37 PM
Jim, sorry to here about the bad day. I lived in the mountians of south carolina until I joined the navy now I live in Pensacola Florida and I hear you guys talk about the temp and the snow and im sure glad I didnt move back home ( todays high 66 )

Todd Franks
01-31-2009, 6:53 PM
Jim,

Sorry to hear about your incident. On the positive side only material things were damaged and there wasn't damage to people. Still sucks nonetheless. I know the helpless feeling, I was involved in an accident a few years ago on ice covered roads. The driver in front of me went end for end, the driver behind me hit me and forced me into the spinning driver. It was all in slow motion, but there was nothing I could do. Ever since then I have been running with Blizzak tires without studs during the winter months. What a huge difference they make. I still drive the same (cautious), but even if I try it is really hard to get them loose or get the ABS to pulsate during hard braking. The wear and longevity is horrible but if it prevents one accident the cost is worth it to me. Maybe they wouldn't have made a difference in your situation but I personally won't be without them ever again in bad conditions.

-Todd

Bruce Page
01-31-2009, 6:55 PM
At least the driveway wasn’t downhill the other way spewing you out into a busy street! Whenever I hear these stories Albuquerque doesn’t seem so bad, even if we don’t have the trees & streams like you do.

Glad you weren’t hurt.

Don Bullock
01-31-2009, 7:06 PM
Wow Jim, it sounds like you had a really bad day. You just pointed out the main reason that I choose to live in Southern California. I hate driving on ice. I hope everything turns out OK.

Mitchell Andrus
01-31-2009, 7:07 PM
Pictures! We want pictures!!!!

Just kidding, I'm in NJ and I'm right behind you.

Matt Meiser
01-31-2009, 7:25 PM
So now my truck is stuck on my front porch. Sigh.

Isn't that normal life in WV? :cool::D

Seriously, that really stinks Jim. Any chance of using a come a long to winch it out? Shouldn't take much force.

Winter has been really bad here too--lots of accidents and as of Friday my daughter's school district is at their limit for snow days and we still have about 6 more likely weeks for them. One local fire department might have had their BRAND NEW pumper truck totaled by a semi skidding out of control on the ice and there were at least 4 police cars damaged or destroyed the last several weeks in the area due to various accidents. In at least one they didn't even ticket the driver of the car that hit the police car (I wonder who he or she knows!) On the plus side, body shops say their business has never been better.

Gary Max
01-31-2009, 7:57 PM
Heck we had so much Ice here in southern Ky that you could not even walk outside much less drive.
I stayed in the house---figured I would fall and brake something.
Next year I will have a generator---we got lucky this go around.

Jim Becker
01-31-2009, 9:38 PM
That's a bummer about the truck and porch! I bet it was particularly frustrating when you could only sit there behind the wheel while sliding and hope that the outcome wasn't too bad...

I do understand about the ice, however. Our driveway is nasty right now as the slush from the other day turned into ice before it could get into the ground. We need a couple days of warm weather to fix that...hopefully Sunday and Monday will cooperate in that respect.

Fred Belknap
01-31-2009, 9:59 PM
Get some sawdust and put on that ice. What part of WV is Augusta in? I'm close t Gassaway.

Dewey Torres
01-31-2009, 11:04 PM
Jim,
Sorry to hear about it. Where in Florida are you looking to move?

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2009, 11:09 PM
Jim - glad to hear you are OK! I don't care what part of the country you live in or how much winter driving experience you have - once you lose control on ice it is all over but the screaming. Been there, done that. Like I said - Glad you are OK!

Jim Kountz
01-31-2009, 11:31 PM
I don't care what part of the country you live in or how much winter driving experience you have - once you lose control on ice it is all over but the screaming.

You're right about that Steve, I consider myself a seasoned winter driver having lived here for 31 years. I have never had my truck lose ALL traction like that before, Ive slid a few feet then had it dig and pawl but always came out ok. Today it just wasnt happening. The wife isnt home yet either, this should be really interesting when she sees this!! The truck is literally parked (partially) on the front porch. :o:o

Jim Kountz
01-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Jim,
Sorry to hear about it. Where is Florida are you looking to move?

Well if we ever did move it would be in the Tallahassee area, thats where the wifes rents are from.
Im just glad this was my old work truck and not the new Equinox we just bought in August. My old truck is kinda like a kid to me, I just cant seem to part with it. Its an 88 ext cab long bed. Ive worked out of this same truck since I bought it in 95 believe it or not this is the first damage that is has seen of any significance. Shes like me now, beat up and ready to retire!!

Ben Franz
02-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Spent some time near Orlando/Melbourne area a while ago - they have bugs (palmetto bugs?) about the size of a small squirrel:eek:. Just thought you should know that.

Seriously, glad it wasn't worse.

Bill Keehn
02-01-2009, 12:30 AM
Winter? It's winter? :D

Ken Fitzgerald
02-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Jim...sorry to hear about your accident. I hope it turns out that the damage to your vehicle is minimal.

Even here where we see ice and snow every winter, it takes most drivers to relearn that old lesson. Going fast in icy conditions isn't difficult...slowing down in icy conditions is difficult and so is controlling direction.

I learned a valuable lesson with my first 4x4. We bought it in the early fall when we lived in Bend, OR in 1977. I bought it because my wife was taking our '72 Chevelle and driving mountain roads to sight see. Eventually she was going to high center that low slung Chevelle. So, I traded it for a 1974 Scout II. The next year, I got promoted to management and we moved to Chicago just before Christmas. We finished cleaning our home so the new homeowners wouldn't have to clean it before moving into it. (An old habit from living in Navy housing). We finished early afternoon so I decided we see how far we could get. In the middle of the central OR desert, we got into whiteout condition in a winter storm. I stopped for the night at Ontario, OR and at the family's request we got a motel with an indoor swiming pool. During the night the snow storm turned to freezing rain. The next morning being a "Macho man" I locked in the front hubs and put it in 4x4 H...and off we went on the Interstate towards Boise. Twice before we got to Boise, I turned that 4x4 360º without changing lanes. Thinking of it while continuing to Boise, I stopped for gas (didn't really need it) and got out and unlocked those front hubs and took it out of 4x4...went back to 2WD. After that periodically on ice the rear wheels would break loose but we didn't do donuts on the interstate.:o

Again...I hope things go well for you home and your vehicle!

Jim Kountz
02-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Winter? It's winter? :D

Ok Bill now thats just mean!!:D:D

Jay Jolliffe
02-01-2009, 7:22 AM
Sorry about what happened to you & your house. I live in Maine which winter means snow that turns to ice mostly. Last year I slipped on the ice going into my shop twice in about 3 hrs. I fractured a few ribs & screwed up my left arm & shoulder for about 2 months. We live here because we like the snow so I guess you have to put up with the bad stuff along the way. I wouldn't move to Florida for anything. Hate the heat, air conditioned stores, the grass there is not much I like about Florida. Sorry if I offend anyone that lives there. To each his own :)

Doug Shepard
02-01-2009, 7:28 AM
Doesn't FL have pretty strict residency rules?
Are you over 65?
Drive 25mph in a 45mph zone?
Speak Spanish?

Are you sure you can get in?:D

Glenn Clabo
02-01-2009, 7:45 AM
I agree...I've lived ALL over the world and now I live were I'm happiest. Friends have moved to Florida after retirement...and I can't figure out why. Everyplace has weather...sometimes too hot...sometimes too cold. Even Hawaii has it's issues...although not related to weather.

Robert Parrish
02-01-2009, 8:13 AM
Come on down Jim. 70's in Jan isn't bad!! We do get a few nights in the 40's but no snow. I moved here from Virginia and don't miss the weather at all.

Chris Kennedy
02-01-2009, 8:46 AM
Jim,

So sorry to hear about the accident -- but at least everyone is okay.

I lived 6 years in Michigan and 3 in Pennsylvania. While I do miss some of the winter weather, I hated ice. We had a very steep driveway in Michigan, and I waged war on the ice so that we could get the car in and out.

On the other hand, you don't have to go all the way to Florida. Eastern VA is really nice.

Cheers,

Chris

David G Baker
02-01-2009, 8:57 AM
The weather in my area of Michigan has been much colder than normal, we have has plenty of snow on the ground since before Thanksgiving but we have been very lucky that there have only been a few real icy days.
I put snow tires on my Toyota every Fall and so far I haven't had any problems. My driveway is around 300 feet long and has around a ten foot rise from the start to the garage slab. There has been a couple of times where I have had to be very careful when I reached the high point when it was covered with ice.
My main fear is the idiots that think that they are in a race and drive at excessive speeds when the roads are slick.

Jim Kountz
02-01-2009, 10:58 AM
This is a shot of my little mishap yesterday. It hit so hard it just scattered everything that was on the porch in every direction. My wife had some flower pots there that ended up in the yard?? A container of cat food was slammed and the contents scattered all over the porch. All this from sliding into it. If I had to guess how fast I was going when I hit I would say maybe 15 to 20. Hard to say since it was sliding. I noticed a slight tinge in my neck this morning though so it obviously hit harder than I originally thought. Overall I guess it could have been worse. Now I have yet another project to do to the house instead of shop time.:mad::mad:
See the planter under the truck? When the wife saw this the first thing she said was, "oh no you smashed my planter!" A stupid $12 planter from Lowes and thats what shes worried about. Sheesh!!

Dewey Torres
02-01-2009, 1:08 PM
Well,
At least according to Jeff Foxworthy, you are NOT A REDNECK.

You would have had to kill more than 3 dogs on or under the porch to qualify IIRC.

Ken Garlock
02-01-2009, 1:52 PM
Spent some time near Orlando/Melbourne area a while ago - they have bugs (palmetto bugs?) about the size of a small squirrel:eek:. Just thought you should know that.

Palmetto bugs, Ha! A cockroach by any other name is still a cockroach.:eek:

Dewey Torres
02-01-2009, 1:59 PM
Hey Jim,
I just noticed 2 more positives form your picture:

1) The phone number for your business came out readable (free advertisement)
2) The grill and all accessories appear to be intact

Look on the bright side:D

Chris Padilla
02-01-2009, 3:07 PM
Well this has to be the SNEAKIEST way I've ever seen someone get to advertise for free on Saw Mill Creek! ;)

But it will cost you so we aren't too worried...we'll let it stay! :D

;) (Sorry about the damage...maybe do something about this road??)

Jim Kountz
02-01-2009, 4:29 PM
Well this has to be the SNEAKIEST way I've ever seen someone get to advertise for free on Saw Mill Creek! ;)

But it will cost you so we aren't too worried...we'll let it stay! :D

;) (Sorry about the damage...maybe do something about this road??)

(Evil scientist laugh) Muh wah wah ha hahaha!! My plan come together perfectly!!

I was just reading over my insurance and both my homeowners and truck have a $500 deductible so I guess this ones coming out of pocket since I doubt that it would be much more than that to fix this. At least to the house anyway. Havent decided what Im going to do about the truck, its not a bad dent and the darn thing is over 20 years old now. My wifes been after me for years to get something newer but I just cant seem to part with the ol girl. Kinda like Sam Walton and his old F-150 he drove till he died. Except one of us had alot more money to buy a new one with!!

Craig D Peltier
02-01-2009, 7:29 PM
Well,
At least according to Jeff Foxworthy, you are NOT A REDNECK.

You would have had to kill more than 3 dogs on or under the porch to qualify IIRC.

Thats funny!

Hey I broke three of my teeth on the ice this year.Nasty crap.Sorry for the mishap to the truck.Something that you cant fix as easy.

Steven DeMars
02-01-2009, 8:14 PM

I live in Louisiana, we have them too ! ! ! Just, we call them plane "ole" ROACHES ! ! !:mad:

They are usually about 2" to 2.5" long . . . Some people here call them "TREE" ROACHES . . . . well, they ain't tree roaches when you lay down in bed, look up and there is one on the ceiling . . . they are then just roaches . . . Can't go to bed till you get him . . . And no, pest control won't get rid of them . . . also they can fly . . Geckos will get them . . . But then you have to decide if you can sleep with Geckos hunting all night in your bedroom . . .

They also have big grass hoppers in Florida just like South Louisiana . . . Don't forget the alligators if you live near water . . . .oh, almost forgot the mosquitoes, but they are only about 10 to 11 months out of the year . . . .

Me, I get rid of everything but me, the wife and the dog . . .

But to be honest, if your doors and windows are well sealed for your climate control, you won't see many . . .

All said, it's better than snow & ice . . my son lives in Harrisburg, PA . . . .He said if not for the weather, he could not imagine a better place to live . . .

Belinda Barfield
02-02-2009, 8:26 AM

Sorry to hear about your troubles Jim. Glad you are okay. Just remember . . . hurricanes in Florida. Ben is right, we have "palmetto bugs" all over the south. Just a nicer name for huge roaches, and they fly!!!

Stephen Beckham
02-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Sorry about the truck and the porch, but up on the hill, we either can leave and not come home for a couple days or just stay a couple days till the icy hill clears.

I posted some pics from last February when we went through this last year. It's funny, the weatherman last year said this kind of storm comes once every 8-10 years. This past week, his anchor was razzin him over it.

Anyway, here are some more photos. If anyone remembers the bell from last year, it wasn't nearly as covered as this year.

I was amazed yesterday to see the two trees in the photos almost straight up again. The picture of the tree top is common all around us. It looks like someone went through with a 40 foot tall DR Trimmer and just ate the tops out of the trees.

The first morning it was eiry as all get-out. You could stand in the dark and just listen to the trees crack, crumble and then fall. Some splintered, some broke in half, some just fell over roots and all (on the hill side). It was freaky trying to get the generator out of the barn, trees and limbs were falling all around us... No damage, just limbs to pickup...

Got power back last night, everything seems to be normal now - back to regular chaos versus chaotic chaos... Another day or so, it'll be clear enough to start picking up the pieces.

Joe Cunningham
02-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Sorry to hear about the accident. Ice stinks--I'd take snow any day of the week.

I took the time this year to place a garbage can filled with sand near the end of my mom's driveway. When it gets icy, I spread sand on the ice, which is enough to get traction both up and down (it is a long, hilly driveway). Lately it has been too cold for salt, but the last couple of days have warmed it up enough so that I could use an ice chipper and clear a two-track.

I lived in California for a while and honestly the monotony of the weather got to me. I found I like seasons.

Jim Kountz
02-02-2009, 4:32 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles Jim. Glad you are okay. Just remember . . . hurricanes in Florida. Ben is right, we have "palmetto bugs" all over the south. Just a nicer name for huge roaches, and they fly!!!

I know what you mean Belinda! My wife is from Tallahassee and having visited there a couple of times Im oh too familiar with the giant bugs you speak of. My wife says "its nothing you get used to them and the heat and humidity". Im not so sure about all that!!

Dave Verstraete
02-02-2009, 5:36 PM
Jim
Ouch!!! Glad to hear that you are OK though.

The name on the truck kind of fits the occasion, though. TIMMMMBERRRR

Colin Giersberg
02-02-2009, 10:41 PM
As Bob Barker would say, "Come on Down".

Our weather gets colder than normal from time to time, we have ice storms down here too, but not very often, and the snow down here is abysmal. On occaision, we do get a couple of inches of snow, and on the very rare occaision, we might get 6"+. The most snow we have had down here that I know of was 16", but that was an extreme case and occured in 1966 or 1968. The coldest temps we have had here were around
-26 degrees, but again, that was an extreme case.

Typically, the weather prognosticators will predict a chance of snow, and most everyone runs to the grocery stores for bread, milk and a few other items, and that seems to scare the snow away. Either that, or else the increase in traffic warms up the atmosphere here, and the snow melts as it falls. Either way, snow is pretty much non-event.

The nice thing here is that you can enjoy all four seasons in a single week. This weekend, temps are expected to be in the low to mid 60's, with lows in the 30's. Temps Wednesday morning are expected to be around 17 degrees, and will be warming up about 10 degrees each day until Sunday.

So, if you would like a change of seasons every week of Winter, then "Come on Down".

Regards, Colin

Larry Edgerton
02-03-2009, 6:37 AM
Jim, thats kind of funny, I have been thinking of moving down your way to take the edge off of of winter. A few bad days sounds better than a few bad months!

I have a few friends that are down there trying to get power back on, they own a power line company. If you think its bad with your truck, imagine a bucket truck!

I lost a friend to that storm, he was in Alabama, and apparently they lost power as well, and he fell asleep with a propane heater running, never woke up. :(

Sorry that you are hating the mountians right now, but I would not trade the snow for Florida in a million years. Arizona maybe, but never Florida. Except the part up by Georgia that doesn't look like Florida, thats not so bad. But its just too hot, and I only know how to speak english.

Belinda Barfield
02-03-2009, 8:07 AM
I know what you mean Belinda! My wife is from Tallahassee and having visited there a couple of times Im oh too familiar with the giant bugs you speak of. My wife says "its nothing you get used to them and the heat and humidity". Im not so sure about all that!!

I was born and reared in the south, so I guess I was born "used to the heat and humidity". I'll never get used to the bugs. I could relate a sort of funny story about palmetto bugs, but I don't want to hijack your thread. Let's just say, I don't like 'em!

The nice thing here is that you can enjoy all four seasons in a single week. So, if you would like a change of seasons every week of Winter, then "Come on Down".

Regards, Colin

Colin is so right. Today's high is 54, low 29, tomorrow 44 with 25 mph winds, low 24. Sunday will be sunny and 67. Put the sweater on, take the sweater off. Put the shorts on, take the shorts off. Have a fire on Wednesday, open all the windows on Sunday. It's never boring.

Except the part up by Georgia that doesn't look like Florida, thats not so bad. But its just too hot, and I only know how to speak english.

LOL . . . I only know English and I manage just fine! ;)

So, what's the update on the damage and the truck. Is it still parked on the porch?

Jeremy Rayburn
02-03-2009, 9:49 AM
It may seem pretty good down South right now, but come August it's a different story. 100 degrees in the shade with 100% humidity, let alone how hot a uninsulated shop gets without an A/C.

Belinda Barfield
02-03-2009, 11:13 AM
It may seem pretty good down South right now, but come August it's a different story. 100 degrees in the shade with 100% humidity, let alone how hot a uninsulated shop gets without an A/C.

Yeah, Jeremy, we have to take the bad with the good. Our shop is "natural", as we like to call it. Toughens you up! Gotta' start working outside early in the summer to build up your tolerance! (at least that's what my daddy always said!):rolleyes:

We do some work similar to upholstery work that involves very expensive fabrics. It just isn't nice to drip on the fabric! Last year I tried a cooling neck cloth, filled with water absorbent gel. It's supposed to keep you cool for six or so hours. My neck was cool, but the rest of me was still melting! Actually, it does help some. The only drawback is that my shirt absorbed the water all around the neckline, so that didn't look so good. I have to meet with customers also, so I just kept a dry shirt handy to change into. Guys who fight wildfires around these parts use the neck cloths to keep cool, and swear by them.

David G Baker
02-03-2009, 2:30 PM
Belinda,
I use a headband that is made from sponge with long lasting elastic that holds it on my forehead. I have tried most brands of sweat headbands but haven't found any better than the sponge type. I also use the neckband that is filled with water absorbent gel. I keep a couple of them handy. I start out with one that is damp enough to swell the gel and use it to absorb the sweat that collects around my neck. The second I load up with water and let it evaporate down to the damp level then swap them out. I don't really use them to cool me off as much as using them to collect moisture. Another thing I did when I lived in California and had to work out in some serious heat, I would wear flannel shirts, they would absorb the moisture from my sweat and as the moisture evaporated the shirt would act as an air conditioner. I got quite a few comments about wearing a heavy shirt in hot weather.

Belinda Barfield
02-03-2009, 2:40 PM
Belinda,
Another thing I did when I lived in California and had to work out in some serious heat, I would wear flannel shirts, they would absorb the moisture from my sweat and as the moisture evaporated the shirt would act as an air conditioner. I got quite a few comments about wearing a heavy shirt in hot weather.

My dad worked in forestry for most of my life. During part of that time they were required to wear long sleeved shirts, long pants, and metal "snake leggings", and snake boots. He said the same thing as you, after a while your shirt and pants actually work to cool you down, but boy did he smell to high heaven when he got home! :D

Robert Parrish
02-03-2009, 2:42 PM
Well it's not really the bugs that you need to be afraid of here in Florida. This is what I have to look out for everyday when I get my mail! That's my box on the left!

Rod Sheridan
02-03-2009, 3:50 PM
[quote=Belinda Williamson;1040178]I was born and reared in the south

quote]

Belinda, that was funny.

Having grown up as a British subject, and visited Georgia many times, I might have a different opinion about your "English":D

Actually the last time I was in Georgia the very polite lady at the hotel registration desk remarked to me that she had noticed a large number of people at the hotel with accents, to which I replied that I had as well.

regards, Rod.

David G Baker
02-03-2009, 4:05 PM
Belinda,
Yeah, the smell is there but a shower when you get home is a real refreshment and helps make a fella tolerable again. :D

Belinda Barfield
02-03-2009, 4:06 PM
[quote=Belinda Williamson;1040178]I was born and reared in the south

quote]

Belinda, that was funny.

Having grown up as a British subject, and visited Georgia many times, I might have a different opinion about your "English":D

Actually the last time I was in Georgia the very polite lady at the hotel registration desk remarked to me that she had noticed a large number of people at the hotel with accents, to which I replied that I had as well.

regards, Rod.\

Yeah, Rod, I know. Actually many would argue that born and reared is correct, you just don't hear it much in the south. We have a running joke around here. Born and raised, or born and reared? Which is correct? Corn is raised, children are reared. Actually, I speak 'Merican, not to be confused with English, much less proper English. I was learnt better but if you get all high falutin' and talk fancy folks accuse you of gettin' above yore raisin'! Please lord, let me accomplish that!

Jim Kountz
02-03-2009, 5:41 PM
yep Belinda we have our own speech impediment round heya. I kin tell rite now if sum 1 aint from these parts. sum people here dont push things they poosh em, and they have booshes growin out in the front yard. You and my wife would probably get along just fine however, she speaks your mericun!!

Jim Kountz
02-03-2009, 5:44 PM
Do you have creeks or cricks where you live? We have cricks. And the entire "ing" suffix doesnt exist here, just the "in". Im pretty sure the letter "g" is only for talkin bout gurls.

Belinda Barfield
02-03-2009, 6:08 PM
Do you have creeks or cricks where you live? We have cricks. And the entire "ing" suffix doesnt exist here, just the "in". Im pretty sure the letter "g" is only for talkin bout gurls.

We have creeks. Yep, that must be the only purpose for G around here. Do you warsh your clothes?

My grandmother lived in Greenville (your wife will probably know where that is, just off I10 headed east from Tallahassee.) I spent a lot of time in that area so your wife and I would do just fine!

Jim Kountz
02-03-2009, 6:18 PM
We have creeks. Yep, that must be the only purpose for G around here. Do you warsh your clothes?

My grandmother lived in Greenville (your wife will probably know where that is, just off I10 headed east from Tallahassee.) I spent a lot of time in that area so your wife and I would do just fine!

Ah yes the unwritten "R". We dont use it around here but you can tell the transplants from nearby DC and Baltimore. Some folks there warsh their clothes and live near Warshington DC.

If it wasnt for her parents living in Tallahassee and the fact that its getting so over populated around here, (I actually have someone living practically on top of me no more than 1/2 mile down the road) we wouldnt be looking to relocate. I cant stand having folks live so close. I think 1/2 mile is just absurd!! A man cant even go out in the front yard in his boxers anymore without the threat of someone driving down the road at least once or twice a day!;)

Belinda Barfield
02-04-2009, 8:13 AM
If it wasnt for her parents living in Tallahassee and the fact that its getting so over populated around here, (I actually have someone living practically on top of me no more than 1/2 mile down the road) we wouldnt be looking to relocate. I cant stand having folks live so close. I think 1/2 mile is just absurd!! A man cant even go out in the front yard in his boxers anymore without the threat of someone driving down the road at least once or twice a day!;)

LOL . . . I know what you mean. No mountains, but grandmother's farm is up for grabs. Actually, it hasn't been a farm in a long time. It's only around 60 acres as I recall, and traffic is pretty heavy on Sunday when the Primitive Baptist Church just down the road is open for business, so you and your boxers might want to stay in the back yard on that day. Actually, I don't think they use that church building any more since it was about to fall in last time I was there. It had a gen-u-ine two hole outhouse for the ladies! The house on the farm isn't livable any more, but the smokehouse and barn are in pretty good shape!

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-04-2009, 3:02 PM
I think I'd prefer WV over FL any day of the week.
I lived in Tampa, Tarpon Springs, and Eustise as a kid
Then in 200 - 2001 I did a year with the PD's office in Palm Beach county.

Prolly the nicest town was Tarpon Springs. But mostly FL is too glitzy for me. Every one is too consumed with what designer jewelry you are wearing as the standard by which they judge you.

Belinda Barfield
02-04-2009, 3:06 PM
Prolly the nicest town was Tarpon Springs. But mostly FL is too glitzy for me. Every one is too consumed with what designer jewelry you are wearing as the standard by which they judge you.

North of Tallahassee and the Greenville area are more like south Georgia. Everyone judges you on what kind of pick up you drive. :D

Jeff Wright
02-04-2009, 3:18 PM

Tarpon Springs is just north of us here on Treasure Island, a small unpretentious community 20 minutes west of St Petersburg on the Gulf of Mexico and the Intercoastal Waterway. The lack of glitz and need to be showy and impress your neighbors with your Rolex is one of the many things I enjoy about this spot, having relocated from living in Philadelphia for all my life. Frankly, the summers are not worse here than Philadelphia; but then we do benefit from living on the water and the constant breeze. BTW, my garage shop is air conditioned and I have yet to experience any rust issues on my tools and machinery. And that's living on the salt waterfront. One does readjust what is seen as disturbing weather. It has been chilly here the last couple of days (approaching freezing) and won't return to the mid to upper 70s until the weekend. But I still am wearing my shorts and barefeet; I haven't worn long pants in maybe a year and now feel greatly confined if wearing anything but shorts (of course, the enlarged belly dimension contributes to that feeling!!).

Folks definitely appear to be friendlier here than my Philadelphia area communities . . . perhaps more laid back.

Yes, hurricane season can test one's resolve. That is more of an issue living on the water than if you were to live inland. Flood tides of 18 feet concern me more than hurricane winds.

But I could not have taken delivery of the item in the accompanying photo yesterday and put it to immediate use were I living in snow-prone Pennsylvania! :D

Robert Parrish
02-04-2009, 3:38 PM
You are right Jeff, I moved here from the Washington DC area and the summers are not bad at all, rarely does it get over 92 degrees! I live out east in Manatee county and enjoy it very much. I also have an air conditioned shop that I just set up last year. When I moved here 11 years ago I sold all of my tools rather than move them so I had to start over. I don't miss the snow and ice at all!!

Bill Keehn
02-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Ok Bill now thats just mean!!:D:D

Well it dropped below 32 last night. The dogs', er I mean, dawgs' water dish froze! I better put a heater in the garage so my finishes don't freeze up. Guess thats what I get for being mean ;)

I moved down here 10 years ago from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. My old business, right downtown, was underwater last year from the flooding so I'm not sad I was here. Still I'm not liking Florida as much as I used to. First of all, I'm over the heat. I also find the high crime rate disturbing. I'd rather raise my girls someplace a little safer.

Haven't seen a palmetto bug yet, not that I'm complaining. I'm not an outdoors person, but I've seen my share of gators, coyotes, fox, wild boar, turkey vultures, mice, bats, rattle snakes, little green frogs, lizards, armadillos, possum, spiders, giant millipedes and black bears. I can handle them, but some of the folk around here are pretty scary. :D

Belinda Barfield
02-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Haven't seen a palmetto bug yet, not that I'm complaining. I'm not an outdoors person, but I've seen my share of gators, coyotes, fox, wild boar, turkey vultures, mice, bats, rattle snakes, little green frogs, lizards, armadillos, possum, spiders, giant millipedes and black bears. I can handle them, but some of the folk around here are pretty scary. :D

What, Bill, no racoons or swamp things? Oh, wait, swamp things would be the scary folk. :D

Bill Keehn
02-05-2009, 12:52 PM
yeah.. lots of racoons :).

You know, when I worked in an office in Tampa the guy in the cube across from me found a pygmy rattler under his desk! The same week on the way out to the parking lot, a few of us had to wait for a fairly big gator to walk down the sidewalk before we could leave the building and go home. That had me checking under my car whenever I would go home late for a while after that. :D

One time walking past my manager's office, I noticed two great big turkey vultures looming behind him, one over each shoulder with their wings spread out. He was sitting with his back to the window so he was obilivious, while the vultures sat on the ledge and postured with their reflections in the mirrored glass. Just for a minute I thought they were inside and that THEY were his pets. :D That's just the kind of boss he was.

David G Baker
02-05-2009, 3:07 PM
When I lived in California I walked 1-1/2 mile every day rain or shine. Approximately 1/2 mile from where I walked there was a hospital, frequently I would see 5 or 6 turkey vultures circling above the hospital. The view gave me pause for thought because it was the hospital I used when I had any procedures done.

Bill Keehn
02-05-2009, 3:16 PM
George, are you sure they weren't lawyers? It's an easy mistake :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-08-2009, 3:34 PM
Tarpon Springs is just north of us here on Treasure Island, a small unpretentious community 20 minutes west of St Petersburg on the Gulf of Mexico and the Intercoastal Waterway. The lack of glitz and need to be showy and impress your neighbors with your Rolex is one of the many things I enjoy about this spot,
Yup it is a nice place where they do a bit of tourist catering but not so's you'd notice.

When I lived there I was head over heels for a greek girl whose father owned the largest insurance agency in the area. Now they have a big restaurant. You prolly know the name without me saying it.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-08-2009, 3:35 PM
North of Tallahassee and the Greenville area are more like south Georgia. Everyone judges you on what kind of pick up you drive. :D

Sounds like my kind of place.