PDA

View Full Version : gluing cocobolo ?

tim mathis
01-31-2009, 4:08 PM
i am gluing up a lathe chisel handle out of cocobolo so after i thoroughly wipe it with acetone is one glue better than another to use.
thanks tim mathis

Casey Gooding
01-31-2009, 4:27 PM
I've had good luck with Titebond 3 on oily exotics.

Tony Scolaro
01-31-2009, 4:58 PM
Plastic Resin, Weldwood Could do the trick and it shouldn't creep at glue line.

David Keller NC
01-31-2009, 5:33 PM
If you're gluing face grain to face grain to make a lathe handle blank, you might want to choose epoxy. Particularly the thin epoxies designed for furniture use, such as "Epoxy Heads" or "System III" brands, are designed to cure a little bit flexible, and may take the shock inherent in lathe chisel use a bit better than most other types, including PVA (tite-bond), polyurethane, and resorcinol glues.

Brian Kent
01-31-2009, 6:24 PM
I have had great luck with epoxy, except where a sanding procedure caused a lot of heat.

Dave Avery
01-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Another epoxy user......

Larry Edgerton
02-01-2009, 8:55 AM
West System Epoxy here....

Epoxy is a mechanical bond, so rough the mating surfaces up before gluing, but not at the edge that shows. I sometimes drill opposing holes that when filled with epoxy mixed with microfibers creat little dowels across the glue surface. Do not clamp so hard as to squeeze out all the glue, as it is a mechanical bond.

I recommend you call West System and get their users manual, it is a treasure of free information.

Don't even try to finish Cocobolo, instead take it to a buffing wheel after final sanding. It is amazing! I do door handles out of it and finish them that way.