PDA

View Full Version : No More Eating Dust!

Ken Glass
01-31-2009, 3:44 PM
Hey Gang,
I decided to spring for a better Respirator to keep from blowing out so many Dust Boggies and to make SWMBO happy. I think turning was really starting to affect my lungs even though I used a mask for dusty work. How come I waited so long? I decide to get the Trend AirShield Pro. I found a fabulous price and went for it this morning. It even had an additional $5 at the checkout. I have seen it sell for as much as $399.00. My Total Cost: $283.00+ shipping of $10.50 I looked at others, but the 3M Airstream was way out the budget I had decided on. I also looked at the Triton but it seemed a little cumbersome, but I am sure its of good quality like most Triton tools. The Trend also has an 8 hour battery life and the design just seemed more fitting for a turner. Would anyone who owns this one, pipe in and let me know your experience with it.

Jeff Nicol
01-31-2009, 4:01 PM
Looks like a nice unit and I would love have one but not in the budget yet. Listed a bunch of miniatures on e-bay so maybe I can make a few bucks there for one.

Jeff

charlie knighton
01-31-2009, 4:08 PM
it is a good unit, looks like you have the new model with filters in the back??? i have the old model with filters in front, it will make a difference for you

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2009, 4:20 PM
Ken - I have the older model and have worn it every time I woodwork whether it is turning or making sawdust some other way - notice I didn't say flatwork! Looking forward to your thoughts on this newer model as I have considered upgrading to it. Supposed to be better filters and I like the idea of full coverage.

Tom Green
01-31-2009, 5:58 PM
Ken,
Santa brought me one and so far I like it. Not hacking up dust or trying to fish chunks of wood out of my eyes any more.
Tom

Ken Glass
01-31-2009, 6:43 PM
Tom,
Do you find you can wear it all day without neck problems?

Toney Robertson
01-31-2009, 8:29 PM
Want to share where you got the good deal????

Toney

Ken Glass
01-31-2009, 8:41 PM
Toney,
Sorry. I got it at: allprotools.com. They are usually very low on most tools and have good service. If you buy on line, they give an extra $5 off on amounts over $150 and $15 off if over $350.

BILL DONAHUE
01-31-2009, 10:19 PM
Just got the same unit from the same place as a Christmas present to myself by using points on my VISA card. It was one of thoses deals where you build up points by using the card and then through a concierge service can redeem the points for dollars towards a purchase of anything else. We've gotten into the habit of using those points at Christmas. It's a very comfortable unit that allows good visibility and it does the job on the dust. Up till now, I've been using a dust bee gone and then using nasal irrigation afterwards and the irrigation flushes out a lot of dust that shouldn't be in there in the 1st place. As a long term runner, I have to take care of the lungs and had considered giving up woodturning when I read about the dangers of sawdust on this forum. Hopefully, the Trend Airshield Pro will make it safe.

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2009, 11:19 PM
Bill - just curious - did you get the clip-on hearing protectors? Have wondered if they would be effective and worth the extra $45. Right now I use ear plugs when doing any finishing turning because I have a DC running just a couple feet from me and that sound drives me nuts in short order.

Narayan Nayar
02-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Some of you know I just got started with turning. Safety is incredibly important to me, as are my lungs (I have asthma), so this was one of my first purchases. I also got it at AllProTools--best price by far. I got the AirShield Pro with the "Ear Defenders" (sheesh) and an extra battery. It all arrived about a week ago.

In general, I like it. When I first put it on, I was a little worried it would be too top heavy but if you wear it for more than 10 minutes, you forget it's on. And now I know why they have an audible alarm if the battery is running low--you very quickly get used to the airflow as well. I guess what I'm saying is that there's a big difference between "trying it on" and actually using it. In use, it's really unobtrusive.

Flipping up the face shield is a little awkward. There's a piece of fabric which fits around your chin--this kind of hangs down when the shield is up, so you can flip the shield up, but the fabric sits right in front of your eyes. Maybe I'm not doing it right.

Today I wore it while prepping some lumber for a lathe bench, so I installed the ear defenders. They're definitely effective--not as effective as the Peltor muffs I usually wear, but it's handy having these clipped onto the Trend.

That said, I don't know that I'd buy the ear defenders again. They don't really "clip on"--installation was actually kind of a pain, and I had to use a ruler to get them off. It would be much better if you could take them on and off very easily, but unfortunately I don't think they're designed that way. Maybe with some modification they'll be better.

I really wanted the Adflo system and will probably still get one of those, but thought I'd start off with the Trend. I think it's money well-spent.

Bernie Weishapl
02-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Ken you are going to love it. After the first time or two you won't even realize you got it on. I got mine as I went to the doctor for breathing problems after using the lathe for about 1 1/2 yrs. He told me that the paper masks aren't much help and if I didn't do something I could end up with emphysema. He said you can get if from any kind of dust, smoking, etc. I watched my grandfather die from it and I am not even going there. So Trend, air cleaner, and DC for me.

Steve and others asked about the hearing protection. That may be fine for tablesaws and others tools but I find when I am turning I always listen for changes in sounds of the lathe, wood and tools. So don't wear it while turning.

Rick Prosser
02-01-2009, 12:42 AM
I am using the same model and it works very well for me. I have the same issue with flipping up the shield - the bottom of the mask is right in the way.

I keep forgetting to turn on the fan when I put it on, so the face shield fogs up, but clears as soon as I remember to switch it on:o

I do notice the weight in my neck after 3-4 hours, and I have not quite gotten the headband set just right. I have to move it around every once in a while - or get a headache from the headband. If my neck gets stiff, I can take it off for a couple of minute break, and then be good to go for another couple hours.

I hear the fan when I switch it on, but I can still hear the radio playing (no ear muffs)

It really does a good job for me(but I think it is overpriced).

Harvey M. Taylor
02-01-2009, 2:52 AM
I have the Pro and love it. Cant hollow out a bowl leaning over very long, though. Simply move the headstock down, remove the tailstock and stand at the end of the lathe. Wouldnt be without it. Didnt think much of the stick-on shield protector till the one that came with it went bad. Simple to remove and install a new one. Happy day. Max.

Ken Glass
02-01-2009, 7:45 AM
Guys,
Thanks for the reviews.

Bernie, I also use the DC, and an overhead air cleaner. The commercial ones didn't move but 500-600 cfm, so I built one from an old dual Fan Coil blower assembly to get maximum air moving in my shop. It moves 850 cfm and I put in a washable pre-filter and a deep high efficient bag filter and even a post hog hair filter and it really gets the fine air, but it was still not enough when I started turning. I think the Trend Pro will keep me much healthier. I think, we sometimes only think of air quality when we start to experience problems. Thanks to everyone and work safe.

Greg Ketell
02-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Thank you for posting this awesome price. I just ordered one for me for my "anniversary gift from honey". Hopefully my sinuses will clear up again sometime in the future.

Bummer is that I'm in California so got stuck with tax and didn't get the checkout discount that was mentioned. Oh well, still the best price around!

GK

Ken Glass
02-01-2009, 1:43 PM
Greg,
Did you put the 1505 code in at checkout? I just noticed on their site they are sold out now.

Greg Ketell
02-01-2009, 4:26 PM
No, I missed the detail about needing a code. But I'll survive, and breath better!
GK

Tom Green
02-02-2009, 9:27 PM
Tom,
Do you find you can wear it all day without neck problems?

Ken, Sorry it took so long to reply. I have'nt worn it for more than 3 or 4 hours at a stretch so far. I did notice a bit of a sore neck after an extended time on the inside of a bowl with my head cocked at an angle. All in all I think it's very comfortable and I'll get used to it in no time.
Tom