PDA

View Full Version : Installing an Overhead DVD/Video System

John Weber
07-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Sorry for all the off-topics lately, but we been trying to get ready for vacation etc... We have a Toyota Sienna, and have been using a 9" combo video in a bag for the kids on trips. Portable 7" DVD players are now under $200 so we started looking. I then came across this system for around $400. It looks decent enough, the big screen is a plus, and it would have been nice to have the DVD in the overhead console, but the price really jumps for that option. My question is how tough are they to install. I assume you could pull power from the overhead lights, but cables would still need to be run to the DVD player that you would stick "somewhere". I've played a bit years ago installing stereos etc... But I've not really done much to the Sienna. At $400 it seems your getting a lot for your money. They also have other systems (for more or less $$$), but the 12" screen seemed the best buy. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks - John

http://www.audioblowouts.com/ebay/MVP61.jpg

Jim Becker
07-01-2004, 11:25 AM
I can't imagine this would be too hard to install, John. Most of the hassle is routing wires and at least cars today have panels that snap in and out in most cases. The instructions will likely tell you where to take the power off from; I doubt the light will have enough omph for this application. That really does look like a great system and the price is certainly attractive!

John Weber
07-01-2004, 11:47 AM
Jim,

Thanks, Yea, I guess if I'm going to run wires an extra power wire won't make a difference. There are plenty of nice systems, but trying to get something decent in a budget can be a bit of a challenge. I guess at least with seperate components, if something goes bad you can just replace that items. I'll need to get the wife approval on this one.

John

Steven Wilson
07-01-2004, 12:26 PM
Have you checked to see how much an installer would charge to put it in? It just might be in the less than $200 range which would make me want to hire it out (if they goof up, they fix it). Last fall I made a very major upgrade to the tunes in my Suburban and the total installation cost was about 15% of the total system cost. I had an indash CD/DVD/MP3 tuner installed w/ flip up 7" screen, XM satellite, TV tuner, Navigation system, headrest monitors, custom rear inputs (power feed, audio/video connection), Infinitity speakers (6), Alpine 5 channel amp, subwoofer, and Video player installed.

Keith Starosta
07-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Jim,

Thanks, Yea, I guess if I'm going to run wires an extra power wire won't make a difference. There are plenty of nice systems, but trying to get something decent in a budget can be a bit of a challenge. I guess at least with seperate components, if something goes bad you can just replace that items. I'll need to get the wife approval on this one.

John

John,
I've been giving a small bit of time researching these units too. That is an awesome price!! Can I ask where you found that? Can you buy it online? Thanks!

Keith

John Weber
07-01-2004, 1:04 PM
Steven,

It would be nice to have it installed, but $200 would half my budget, I think I can do a prefessional job, but it would be nice to learn from those that have gone before me. It sounds like you have a veyr nice system.

Keith,

It's on ebay, the guy has a bunch of different systems starting at $149. His feedback is good and everything looks legit. Pyle also has a web site:

Pyle Audio (http://www.pyleaudio.com)

Take a look and see what you think. So what else have you found in your research?

John

Steven Wilson
07-01-2004, 3:24 PM
You might want to ask Pyle if they have a PDF of the installation manual available. You'll want to pull a fresh power tap from the terminal block. You will probably remove one of the side support facia, seat belt, rocker panel facia (the molding strip on the drivers side), and to make things easier, the dash facia. For that you'll probably want to obtain some extra clips from the dealer as well as a trim removal tool. Is there a separate trim piece for installing that unit on your vehical? You might want to check the web. The flip down screen may involve relocating the dome lights. Are you planing on having the audio from the device play through the vehical's sound system? If so, you may need special cableing to hook that up. Does the system have lighted dials that work with the headlights? If so, then you'll probably need to tap into the lights on circuit. Be carefull when you fish the cables through the headliner! As for the player you might need to do some custom fabrication to mount it somewhere. You can find custom trim pieces, mounting brackets, and such on the web and hopefully you'll find something that will work for this installation. It's definately doable but it may be more cost effective to have someone else install it; I would call around and get some estimates first.

Wes Bischel
07-01-2004, 7:47 PM
John,
I just went through this last year. The DVD player and remote you show looks identical to the "Legacy" brand unit I purchased. We went with that unit because it could be used in the car and in the house on our TV (we didn't have a DVD player) so it killed two birds with one paycheck so to speak. The monitor/TV I got was a little 5" - but we only have one little guy in the audience :p .

I went with the temporary installation because we travel so infrequently it would have been a waste to have all that equipment in the car. It has worked out very well so far. The DVD player gets used on a regular basis and the little TV resides in the shop. And when we go on a trip - they get plugged into the car and away we go.

The DVD player goes into the glovebox - powered via the aux power port (2nd cigarette lighter). The monitor is mounted on the headrest support via a homemade stalk/support. The cables run along the center console, tucked in under it so they are out of sight. Everything can be disassembled in just a minute or so and the monitor tucked out of site for security.

Just food for thought - and the little DVD player has worked out well in both applications.

Wes