PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated resaw question

Mark Bolton
01-31-2009, 3:04 PM
Hey all,
I was watching PBS last week, airing old NYW episodes and saw him using what looked to be a dedicated resaw. Had about a three inch wide blade but relatively small throat. I would find a small dedicated resaw very handy in our shop as opposed to buying a big saw and setting it up dedicated (MM, Rikon, etc.)

The unit was green so I guessed it was a grizzly but nothing turns up there. I am wondering if the bigger saws now have such a resaw capacity that the unit on that old show is no longer available.

We have a small portable band mill and I have done some resawing on it but its not very convenient. I have often thought of keeping an eye out for a small used bandmill with no motor and setting it up electric in the shop. Would be handy as he!!.

Thought someone may have some info, thanks,
Mark

Steve Rozmiarek
01-31-2009, 3:10 PM
IIRK, Hitachi made a dedicated resaw, and the colors sound about right. Google might bring one up?

Bruce Page
01-31-2009, 3:24 PM
Hitachi makes the CB75F but it is pricy at around $2600 new. The one I saw a couple of years ago used a universal type motor and was exceptionally loud.

Joe Chritz
01-31-2009, 3:46 PM
Did it look like this?

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/tls/1010981512.html

I know that Barn Door Lumber in Hemlock has a similar saw but it is a really old iron machine.

Joe

Jim Watts
01-31-2009, 3:49 PM
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/1007766926.html

Mark Bolton
01-31-2009, 4:08 PM
This looks (and sounds) like the one. I recall on the episode he said something like "man that is loud" after resawing a piece. It sounded very loud on the TV. 1500.00 doesnt seem too bad for a saw like this even though the noise would suck.

Thanks for getting me on track. I will have to do some looking around at the band mill option however it would be nothing that would handle a 3" blade.

Thanks again,
Mark

Bruce Page
01-31-2009, 7:06 PM
Did it look like this?

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/tls/1010981512.html

I know that Barn Door Lumber in Hemlock has a similar saw but it is a really old iron machine.

Joe

Yes, except someone has a changed out the motor on it.

Steve Kohn
02-01-2009, 6:18 AM
I read a review on the Hitachi resaw quite some time ago. I have no idea where. However the big negative on the saw seemed to be that it was severely underpowered as it came from the factory. It was considered quite common to upgrade the motor.

Ryan Baker
02-01-2009, 5:14 PM
The NYW one definitely was the Hitachi. I remember that saw having really bad reviews, being underpowered for one. It didn't last long in Norm's shop either.

Phil Thien
02-01-2009, 5:45 PM
The NYW one definitely was the Hitachi. I remember that saw having really bad reviews, being underpowered for one. It didn't last long in Norm's shop either.

Even listening to the saw run on that episode, you could tell that it was bogging down as he was cutting. :confused:

At first it sounded like a universal motor.

richard poitras
02-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Anybody know what kind of re-saw height this saw has?