PDA

View Full Version : Corel, expanding a pattern

Mitchell Andrus
01-31-2009, 2:02 PM
I'm wondering if there is a way to make a pattern like this one fill a larger area without making the repeated pattern larger.

Another way to ask: Can the repeat stretch only to a certain size before the pattern 'springs back' to it's original size, but with an extra line of perforations to fill in the larger area instead? Say you start with a 5x7 pattern and you need to make a 10x14 pattern, but the boxes need to stay the same size.

I'm thinking something like a fill....

Scott Shepherd
01-31-2009, 7:35 PM
Interesting. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm not that good with Corel yet.

I'd make a pattern of one of the objects (overall box outline being 1/2 of the desired thickness, so when you butt 2 against each other, it makes the right width. Did that make sense?).

I'd take that one pattern, I'd use Step and Repeat and do a block of them up or down, then I'd grab that block of them and I'd do step and repeat on them to the right. I'd make it larger than I ever plan to use it.

Right click on the entire thing, and make it a symbol.

Now it's a symbol, you can open the symbol docker up, drag and drop it into your workspace and then you can powerclip it into any shape you want.

Hope that makes sense. Might not be the easiest way, but I think it works if you look at the file I attached, you'll see it powerclipped in various shapes.

One note, I made the outline light gray only to show the shape of the object. On the real file, I would leave that all white. It's done here just to show the original shape used.

Shaddy Dedmore
01-31-2009, 8:18 PM
the pattern looks fairly simple, you could recreate and copy n paste. Draw the squares and the angle pieces (which are big squares, with a 1/2 size square cut out of a corner). I would probably start by making a section with four corners surrounding a square, then I'd duplicate it with an offset. to get the border to match your pic, i'd then draw a rectangle over the edge and trim.

I'm sure I was as clear as mud... makes sense in my head though

Scott Shepherd
01-31-2009, 8:59 PM
Forgot to mention the reasoning behind creating a symbol. You create a symbol so you can use that symbol over and over in any file in the future. If it were a one time event, then surely, it wouldn't need to be a symbol.