PDA

View Full Version : Sliding glass doors

Jonathan Spool
01-31-2009, 1:50 PM
I am in the process designing a residential wall unit that includes two longitudinal display cabinets that will have frameless 1/4" sliding glass doors (bypassing).
I will hide the tracks either in a dado or behind the face, and want to be sure that the doors work very smoothly for a long time.
I am having a hard time finding the hardware that impresses me as everything I find is either cheap looking or commercial.
I would be interested in knowing what the pros and very experienced are using for their high end sliders.
Thanks
Jonathan

Dale Lesak
01-31-2009, 4:05 PM
Depending on the size of the doors (Weight) you can make your own, buy wood, plastic or aluminum hardware or go with the commercial hardware. I have gone all ways. If you use just the track channel I found that strips of UHMW in the bottom channel and rub blocks on the top edges of the glass work real nice. you should have the glass edges polished for a real nice movement

David DeCristoforo
01-31-2009, 4:37 PM
You don't say how big these glass doors are but I have made track from polished and waxed hardrock maple. 1/4" 24" X 48" tempered glass "doors" with polished edges slide easily and it should last at least as long as that cheesy hardware you are talking about!