PDA

View Full Version : Stationary Belt Sander Question

Robby Tacheny
01-31-2009, 10:35 AM
I am thinking about buying one this weekend for my birthday. I want to do a bunch of bandsaw boxes and some jewelry boxes for a craft show in October.

I know people really like the Rigid OS Spindle/Belt Sander Combo.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100061671

But is it better than this:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Combination-Sander-6-x-48-Belt-9-Disc-Z-Series/G1014Z

which looks surprisinlgly similar to this

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=6852

Opinions please!

-R

Pat Germain
01-31-2009, 10:42 AM
I have the Ridgid and it's a great little machine. I used it to made some bandsaw boxes for Christmas. FYI, the spindle isn't quite long enough for the boxes of the Lois Ventura style. I still made it work, but a bigger machine would have been nice.

The other two don't have a spindle, so that would involve extra cost for another machine.

The Grizzly unit looks pretty heavy duty. I don't have that sander, but I own a 8" Jointer and a 17" bandsaw made by Grizzly and they're great machines.

Harbor Freight has some gems, but most of them don't have a Central Machinery tag. I've heard a few people say they were happy with a Central Machinery tool, but most comments have been negative. If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, I'd recommend taking a hard look at it. If it looks cheap, run away.

Curt Doles
01-31-2009, 10:50 AM
Hey Robby,
I bought the Harbor Freight sander a year and a half ago, it has worked out well. The cabinet it came with was the thinnest sheet metal I'd ever seen, I didn't use it.

I was planning on making some clocks for Christmas and needed a spindle sander so I bought the Ridgid model, it's been a great tool also. On the Ridgid, the belt sander oscillates also!

If I could only have one, I'd go with the Ridgid, but the HF sander is great when you want a large sanding surface to hog off some material.

Good luck.

Curt

David Christopher
01-31-2009, 10:55 AM
Robby, I have had the grizzly sander for about 10 years and it is still going strong....I wouldnt hesitate to buy it again

Joe Chritz
01-31-2009, 11:07 AM
I have the Ridgid spindle/belt sander. It is a good unit and works well within its limits. Mostly spindle height and belt length. It isn't a full size oscillating belt sander but it is 3 grand either.

I also have the Harbor Freight version of the 6" sander. It is rough but the platten is flat and I used to use it for flattening bar stock for knife blanks. I even use it with a 600 grit belt to sharpen chisels and turning tools.

If you are going to spend the money the grizzly looks like a much better machine for that type.

Joe

Robby Tacheny
01-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Well I'll admit that I am looking in the $200 range more than the $500 range. (for Grizzly it's $399 + another $75 in shipping). I have a Grizzly bandsaw and really like it, but I don't think I can justify the price right now. That's why the HF sander looked interesting because the two seem very similar. I do have an HF a few miles from work, so I might have to check out the sander on a lunch break.

I just realized other items I was thinking of making for the craft show was wooden jewelry, so I would have to say that the majority of the items I will be sanding will be most likely be 14" or under in length, width, and height.

I am leaning toward the Rigid for my target projects, even though I know having a 48" bed would be very useful in the long run.

I'd love to hear some more opinions, specifically from people who make a lot of bandsaw boxes and small items.

I have to admit that I see a 1" Belt Sander in my near future too.

-R

Rick Fisher
01-31-2009, 4:17 PM
Dont mean to segway here but what exactly is a bandsaw box?

lol..

I am picturing an apple box? Hoping you dont plan on putting the bandsaw inside it.

I have a Delta Boss Spindle sander and its just okay. Thats it. Just okay.

I plan on getting a stationary machine when I have the space.

Joe Scharle
01-31-2009, 6:45 PM
Unless you gotta have the new car smell, Home Depot sells the Rigid for $130.00 rebuilt. Mine had some minor scratches but works fine. Go on-line, check the box in the wish list and when they have one you'll get an email. Shipping and tax brought mine to $165.00. 3 days.

Gene Howe
01-31-2009, 9:40 PM
Hi Robby,
I make band saw boxes and use the Rigid. I also have a Delta 6" sander with a sanding disk. The Rigid gets more use by far.
A machinist made an adapter for for the spindle so that I could use longer sleeves. Works great.

Porter Bassett
01-31-2009, 9:59 PM
I own both the Rigid and the Harbor Freight version of that Grizzly. Both have served me very well.

Robby Tacheny
02-02-2009, 8:01 AM
Rick fisher check out this thread to see some samples of bandsaw boxes. ;)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81703&highlight=simple+bandsaw

Thanks everyone! I picked up the Rigid. The refurbs have been out of stock for a while now, unfortunately. Or maybe I just don't check often enough?

-R

Don Jeansonne
02-02-2009, 10:35 AM
I may be a little late since you already bought. I have the Rigid sander and use it alot. I do alot of contour sanding with the belt and it works fine.
I do have one problem where the belt drive must have slipped or shifted off the flat spot and is now not a good tight fit. This causes the lineup to be off and it usually gets jammed in place and very difficlut to remove from the drive shaft. I have even gauled the threads on the drive shaft beadting it off. I need to contact Rigid to see about a repair.
Even with that I am extremely satified with the tool. It is one of my most used tools in the shop. You won't be dissapointed.